Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemycologist
Stranger
Loc: San Francisco area
Drip Shield vs Space
    #450277 - 11/07/01 03:18 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I'm working on a system to grow some Ecuadorian cubensis on bulk substrate in a homemade growth chamber. The growth chamber is a kind of modified PF Tek, consisting of a 15-gallon 12-inch-high Rubbermaid clear plastic container and an acrylic drip shield.

One of the first things I've noticed is what an extreme constraint on space is caused by the drip shield. I need about an inch or so of perlite on the bottom of the chamber, *at least* 4 inches of substrate, another 2 inches of casing, and another 2 inches of clearance between the casing and the drip shield. This creates an extreme demand for space even on the high end of the drip shield and becomes unworkable as it slopes down. The PF Tek chamber was designed for growing on cakes and seems to be difficult to adapt to bulk substrate cultivation.

This leaves room for only a few alternatives. The first is to simply find a taller Rubbermaid container. However, larger containers are hard to come by, especially in clear soft plastic that's easy to modify. Another concern I've read about is that deeper chambers make air exchange more difficult. Another alternative is to install a flat, or only slightly angled, drip shield, or even to dispense with it entirely. Is spraying the casing directly with a fine mist really all that problematic?

Anybody here use a bulk substrate in an enclosed box/chamber? What's your basic design and how do you deal with the "drip shield" issue?

Myc

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
Re: Drip Shield vs Space [Re: mycologist]
    #450297 - 11/07/01 03:33 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

If you warm up the roof with a flourescent, it'll keep condensation from forming. No drip shield needed.

Offlinemycologist
Stranger
Loc: San Francisco area
Re: Drip Shield vs Space [Re: puscle]
    #450335 - 11/07/01 04:15 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

> If you warm up the roof with a flourescent, it'll keep
> condensation from forming.

Why is condensation a problem? Does it increase the risk of contamination?

I should note - right now I'm performing a "trial run" with a couple of Agaricus and Pleurotus kits I picked up at a workshop. I'm in the spawn run stage right now, where 90-100% is optimal. I've got lots of condensation in the chamber, but that seems unavoidable at this level of humidity.

When I finally do get to the point of fruiting cubensis, I do have a fluorescent setup on top, but I have a cool blue actinic bulb, so I don't know if that will warm the top of the chamber very much.

Peter

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
Re: Drip Shield vs Space [Re: mycologist]
    #450365 - 11/07/01 04:43 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

It's just not good for "rain" to drop on your shrooms.

OfflineXxMuSHRooMHeaDxX
enthusiast

Re: Drip Shield vs Space [Re: puscle]
    #451778 - 11/08/01 04:25 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

are you meaning a lite inside the terrium or on top the out side of the lid ?? AFOAF of mine has constructed its grow chamber but has yet to add perl. a question i had about this is its a self contained/conceiled coleman cooler. on the roof of the inside lid are 2 mini battery operated hand flouresents he has rigged to suspend by velcro . now will this be suffiecent and will it condense on the lights and drip down on crop ??? i was thinking about taking a blu perm marker and coloring the outsides of the lights so she can then have blu handheld light. any help or suggestions is app. thx

XX

--------------------
"Put the past at rest , Live your life to please"
Mushroomheads Official Site
Free Spore Ring
Myco-Elite
All above are lie's.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation