Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesir_eel_green
wildcrafter, chemhack
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida, Hernando Co Flag
Florida Reishi
    #4430013 - 07/20/05 07:18 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

My friend located a growth of reishi fungus in his neighbors yard in west central florida. It consists of about 50 fruit bodies growing on the decayed matter from a living white oak tree. The mycelium underground network spans about 100 square feet. This is the second year we have witnessed the fruiting. I also found two fruit bodies growing directly from an oak log in destin, florida, the pensicola area. It was right on the slope of a bay area lagoon coastline amongst living live oak trees. It was reported that these mushrooms are extremely rare, but after these discoveries I am inclined to believe they can be found by an avid seeker, or are we just lucky?
http://floridareishi.blogspot.com/

--------------------
Inability to accept the mystic experience is more than an intellectual handicap, lack of awareness of the basic unity of organism and environment is a serious and dangerous hallucination.—Alan Watts

http://deoxy.org/index.htm

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

Re: Florida Reishi [Re: sir_eel_green]
    #4430051 - 07/20/05 07:26 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

they seem rather abundant... in warm weather areas anyway.. dont grow up here in vermont, but they do in mass =\ just missed it i guess!

try cloning them! ppl around here are looking for reishi cultures..

nice find! :smile:

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #4435673 - 07/21/05 09:18 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Nice finds sir_eel_green. Welcome to the Shroomery..  :smirk:

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Offlinesir_eel_green
wildcrafter, chemhack
Male User Gallery

Re: Florida Reishi [Re: motaman]
    #4435694 - 07/21/05 09:23 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
Inability to accept the mystic experience is more than an intellectual handicap, lack of awareness of the basic unity of organism and environment is a serious and dangerous hallucination.—Alan Watts

Edited by sir_eel_green (07/21/05 09:34 PM)

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

#4435740 - 07/21/05 09:35 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

nice pics man :thumbup:

--------------------
"listening for the secret.. searching for the sound.."

Offlinesir_eel_green
wildcrafter, chemhack
Male User Gallery

#4435809 - 07/21/05 09:57 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------

Offlinesir_eel_green
wildcrafter, chemhack
Male User Gallery

#4435837 - 07/21/05 10:04 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineJeremy_Davis
Mycelial NetworkAdministrator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
Re: Florida Reishi [Re: mattymonkey]
    #4435919 - 07/21/05 10:24 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I found a fruiting of several reishi fruit bodies growing last year, but never thought to clone them until it was too late. When they appeared this year, I watched them grow everyday for about a month. I was waiting for them to mature, but one day I went to look for them, and someone had mowed the lawn! I couldn't believe it! I tried to clone a piece of the subterranean aggregation of mycelia, but all the dishes contaminated- a truly uphill battle. Soon, I began to see new fruit bodies forming. This time I put marking posts in a triangular area around the fruiting, and roped it off with some orange string. ( I wanted to hang a sign from the ropes that said "Protected Mushroom Habitat" but never got around to it...) A group of plant pathologists came by with the executive director of our farm, curious about our mushroom projects. I took them to see the reishis growing, since they're so beautiful and art-like. They told me that one of the botanical gardens in Miami is having major problems with Ganoderma using living palm trees as hosts, and killing the trees. They told me of huge and numerous conks all over the trees. So they must like the Florida weather. We got into a conversation of the medicinal benefits of Ganoderma, and I wondered out loud if it was better to help the trees and rid them of the "disease" of Ganoderma infestation, or better to help the humans by harvesting and using the medicines that natures has seen fit to provide. (The REAL answer is, of course, we should help the plants and the fungi)
Last week I went and pulled the three best specimens to clone from the fruitings that I had protected. All three looked similar (they were growing from roots of a large tree buried under the grass), but when I pulled them out, the last one which had a stem of about 4 inches above ground, continued for well over a foot into the Earth. I felt like I had fished a great white shark from the ocean (if I were a fisherman...). It was amazing to hold and see. I brought all three inside, washed them off, and cleaned the outsides of the mushrooms with alcohol soaked paper towels, and again with H2O2-soaked paper towels.
I had heard that reishi mycelium is traditionally tough to cut. I found this to be an understatement. Usually to clone I break the mushroom by hand, these would not tear - they had to be cut with a scalpel, and it was still tough. Then to clone the tissue I noticed a dark brown tissue and an off white tissue. I took tissue clones from each section of each mushroom, labeled the original specimens, and put them away, in case needed for further research or ID, and labeled the petri dishes the same way. I haven't checked on them yet (don't like to watch pots boil either...) but I'll go in tomorrow and see how they're doing. I hope I got some good transfers, or at least savable ones. It was so hard to cut the tissue from these mushrooms, I was unsure of the quality of my aseptic techniques.
I'm really excited about the genetics contained in these reishi's, because first of all they're a good local genetic - ideally suited to natural culture here and in tropical climates. They fruited at temps in the 90F + range and seemed to love it. So everyone cross your fingers! If I get a good clone I can make liquid inoculum with my Eberbach blender and make them available for trades, and the like.
Light and Love to you all,
Jeremy Davis

--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

Re: Florida Reishi [Re: Jeremy_Davis]
    #4435932 - 07/21/05 10:26 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

gl jeremy- check your PMs....

--------------------
"listening for the secret.. searching for the sound.."

InvisibleBLAST_420
Stranger
    #4435938 - 07/21/05 10:28 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

yea iv seen them growing on an old oak tree where i work here in Florida i wouldn't eat them tho

Offlinesir_eel_green
wildcrafter, chemhack
Male User Gallery

Reishi, eat em fresh? [Re: BLAST_420]
    #4436005 - 07/21/05 10:44 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

DOnt be scared, I did some looking around the web, saw that they looked like the real thing. Then read they liked coastal areas (like florida where we find em) and that they taste real bitter. So I ate one, Bitter- (DONT TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS positive ID first) and I felt better. and I been eatin one a day for like two weeks now. They are tough, but I chews em up anyway. NOw I'm wonderin if they might have larvaes and crap like my friend says (he is scared) but I only ate the real fresh lookin ones and I feel great. I reccommend Reishi to everyone who aint scared. Only to be safe you might want to boil em like the chinese have been doin for thousands of years, maybe theres a reason they do that (bugs?)

--------------------

OfflineJeremy_Davis
Male User Gallery

#4436056 - 07/21/05 10:58 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Well, I don't think anyone eats them, they have traditionally been used in soups or teas (hot water extraction of the medicinal polysaccharide compounds). I've been known to collect the fruitbodies as decorative curios, call me crazy.
Light and Love,
JD

--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

OfflineJeremy_Davis
Male User Gallery

#4436074 - 07/21/05 11:02 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Can you slice a smooth cross section of the fruitbody to examine visually for signs of larval infestation? I think you'd be able to see it easier that way. The flesh of the mushrooms are two toned, but very definite, white and brown.
JD

--------------------
Jeremy Davis

OfflineChickenNugget
Pet Peave

#4437832 - 07/22/05 11:44 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

very nice man!

--------------------
"It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom"
-Tool - Third Eye

OfflineMindzpore
Psychedelicious
 User Gallery

Loc: Reject the concept of loc...
Re: Florida Reishi [Re: ChickenNugget]
    #4437899 - 07/22/05 12:13 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

very cool. if you are ever planning to clone them... plz remember that I would love a sample. (as would a bunch of people here, i bet).

--------------------
Mindzpores words of wisdom:
"If you think something is foolproof, you just haven't met proper fools".

Wiccan_Seeker said:
"It is better to adjust to become a better listener than to keep on cranking up the volume".

Offlineself_destrukt
n00b!
Re: Florida Reishi [Re: Mindzpore]
    #4449682 - 07/25/05 06:28 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Nice find. Good to know the pan handle has good growing conditions. I'm in Mary Esther and plan on growing reishi outdoors =) Now I know it won't be a waste.

EDIT: What was I thinking? Pan Handle? I was sleep deprived =P Still simular conditions. Good to know =)

Edited by self_destrukt (07/26/05 01:11 PM)

Offlinesir_eel_green
wildcrafter, chemhack
Male User Gallery

Re: Florida Reishi [Re: self_destrukt]
    #4452020 - 07/25/05 06:20 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I just found another one along the trail of a local preserve in new port richey, this one is especially nice, and my brother has seen a huge bracket fungus with a yellow underside (like the superior reishi's are reported to have) growing midway up a hardwood in the canopy of the weeki wachee river "rain forest". I am going to attempt Identification of it, and if its ganoderma lucidum and I'm going to attemp my first agar culture. I imagine the indians that traveled this forest experimenting with these mushrooms, surely they noticed its effects as a valuable medicine. Does any one have record of native american indian folk medicine involving medicinal mushrooms?

--------------------

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Re: Florida Reishi [Re: self_destrukt]
    #4457812 - 07/26/05 10:20 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

One of those was found not far from ME in Destin...  :smirk:

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
Re: Florida Reishi [Re: motaman]
    #4459749 - 07/27/05 10:46 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I found a bunch of Ganoderma when I was still living in Brevard County Florida(Cocoa Beach).I found Curtisii,Tsugae,Applanatum(sp?), & Lucidium :

I have alot more pics that I haven't uploaded .
I Found them everywhere.

I left all of my cultures behind when I moved-that sucks!
I really liked the Tea that I made from them too--Very energetic & and it made me feel just " Great" :smile:.But, it was the most disgusting taste I have ever experienced.:crazy:If you have any of the Curtisii that you may want to trade, I will be interested.Just PM me and we will work something out. That is if you want to.

:cool: :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Florida Reishi [Re: doc34]
    #4497752 - 08/04/05 11:39 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

They also fruit well from spores. Their woody texture makes them a chore to clone, so try to get them when they're first showing out of the ground or log. Otherwise, get the spores. They're reddish/brown in color.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Edited by RogerRabbit (08/04/05 11:40 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract