Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Poll for undergrads
    #4489469 - 08/03/05 11:37 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I got a horrible score on a calculus test so I'm expressing my frustration with this poll. I'm taking this class for the 3rd time; first time drop pass, second time I got a C-. I need a C+ because it's for a math minor. I can't figure out what went wrong, I feel I understand the material better than before, yet I never scored so bad on a test during my 2nd attempt at this class.
An undergraduate liberal arts degree is equivalant to a(n):
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (08/03/05 11:32 AM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
Re: Poll for undergrads [Re: YidakiMan]
    #4489478 - 08/03/05 11:39 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Equiv to a piece of paper, but not having one is equivalent to having a big pile of shit for dinner, every day for the rest of your life.

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
    #4489486 - 08/03/05 11:41 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Forget that liberal arts degree, man. You'll pass it.

What specifically is giving you the most problems?

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

#4489502 - 08/03/05 11:44 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

So you have a math minor and you are taking an introductory calculus class for the third time?

Me thinks its time you change minors

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: Poll for undergrads [Re: Noetical]
    #4489637 - 08/03/05 12:07 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Don't do what noetic buzz said. Anyone can pass Calculus. I jumped ship on my engineering degree for Psychology because I was afraid of the mathematics involved. Just keep trying, you'll get it. Buy some books at B&N if you have too. They can be useful.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

Re: Poll for undergrads [Re: freddurgan]
    #4489725 - 08/03/05 12:23 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

At my school you can only take any class three times and if you don't get the grade after that many chances you're fucked.

I knew a guy who went into engineering and only passed like 3 classes his first year and failed the same introductory calculus class twice.

So after a semester of academic suspension he finally gets in and takes 3 whole classes the next semester finally passes the calculus class with the bare minimal mark. So next term comes around and guess what, he fails the second calculus course.

Needless to say I don't ever want to be driving on a bridge that this guy designs. But yidaki the calculus dosn't get any easier and it will only get more challenging.

Do you actually enjoy the math part? My advice do something you enjoy not something you think you should be doing

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

#4489735 - 08/03/05 12:25 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

What is your major?

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: Poll for undergrads [Re: Noetical]
    #4489737 - 08/03/05 12:25 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

noeticbuzz said:
Do you actually enjoy the math part? My advice do something you enjoy not something you think you should be doing

I can back that up 100%. But just remember that if you really want to pass Calculus, you can. It just takes a lot of practice. You can't just read the book and take the tests. You gotta do every problem you are assigned until they are close to automatic. So many problems can be tackled in so many different ways and the only way it gets easier is to do the math, over and over and over.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Poll for undergrads [Re: freddurgan]
    #4489937 - 08/03/05 01:27 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Its Calculus 2. The first time I took it, I was overloaded to 20 hours. I had a really good grade going, but with other classes I was spending 40+ hours studying aside from class and doing WAY WAY TOO MUCH speed to keep up. Calc2 was the biggest workload, so I decided it had to go. Last semester, I blew a C+/B- final grade on the last test, the test covering infinite series. The test I just bombed covered the integrals such as inverse trig functions. These are the integrals I've learned three times now.

I got 24/32 pts T/F: I missed four of those, mostly about the nature of curves; domain, range, etc.
I got 5/20 pts on multiple choice. I lost three pts because of faulty addition, three points because I answered y= ln|x| dy/dx = 1/|x| instead of 1/x. I lost another three pts because I forgot to simplify ln2-ln1 = ln2. I lost three points of the nature of a curve. Another three points because I mixed up the derivative of arcsin with arctan. Of course, MC means absolutely correct or no points.
I got 27/45 on the last section, that was simply solving derivatives and integrals. I lost a whole shit load of points because of stupid mistakes like mixing up absolute value signs, forgetting terms, and not creating new limits after substituting.

I did check my answers, but didn't go so far as completing each problem twice.

Oh yea, I am a liberal studies major. I take two minors and some other classes I like. I am taking a Math minor and a German minor and filling holes with random classes that I took before deciding on a Lib Studies major and never changing majors again, regardless of my situation.

I have some real serious reservations about college, although I dont think its holding me back. I've only been around campus for three years and I hadn't seen the University system before 1960, but regardless its my opinion that the tenure system has completely corrupted a large portion of the faculty in the American University system.

P.h.D. candidate, "Let's see here, I can get a real job and work hard or get tenure in a University system and sit on my hands for the rest of my life?" Even a P.h.D. student doesn't have to mull that one over for very long.

Invisibleoneducktwoducks
Re: Poll for undergrads *DELETED* [Re: YidakiMan]
    #4490012 - 08/03/05 01:41 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by oneducktwoducks

Reason for deletion: .

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Poll for undergrads [Re: oneducktwoducks]
    #4490364 - 08/03/05 02:45 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I dont think this test fucked me over. I cannot get an A, but I just want to get past this class. I haven't run the numbers for my grade. I don't know what I will do if I am not able to move onto Calc3. I have nearly dropped out on several occasions, not because of grades but simply because I have been fucked over by red tape and bureaucratic bullshit way too many times.

BTW, the correct answer is iron pyrite. For those who don't know, pyrite is fool's gold. So if you find a fool, a college degree is worth a fortune.

Edited by YidakiMan (08/03/05 02:46 PM)

InvisibleLiquidkick
H2O
    #4490653 - 08/03/05 03:45 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

LOL,

Sounds like you got school burnout, it happened to me. 3 years of IT, and my grades hit the shit.

Got suspended, took a 2 year break, and now i am back with a 4.0.

Calc 2 is the toughest for me anyway. When you hit Diff EQ and Linear Algebra its a breeze cause its all matrixes. If you can't use a calculator, you are kinda fucked, if you have to do matrixes by hand cause they will take a long time. Especially a 5x5 matrix. But hopefully they stop at 4x4.

For Calc2 you just gotta study hardcore. And do mega problems. Drop your course load down and refocus on calc2. Seriously learn your Calc2 stuff if you going to be moving on to multi variable. Cause you gonna need it.

i also recommend going to office hours, it should help you a lot if you can get one on one help with the shit you don't know. but don't go there before you actually try the problems. Or you won't know what the fuck you need to work on.

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #4490677 - 08/03/05 03:50 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

my advice: don't shy away from a challenge or else you'll end up with a worthless degree and a shitty job. Hit those books hard and hang in there! Sounds like you are on the course to serious bank once you get out of college. Its all about the money, son. thats the only reason.

me, I'm looking at a billion more years of school because you cant do shit with a worthless degree that anyone with half a brain can get.

if you have to, take a break from school and get the partying out of your system, then go back when you are more focused. Don't settle for a junk major just so you can slide by without a lot of effort. you'll regret it later...

InvisibleLiquidkick
H2O
Re: Poll for undergrads [Re: DoctorJ]
    #4493442 - 08/04/05 12:47 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

"if you have to, take a break from school and get the partying out of your system, then go back when you are more focused. Don't settle for a junk major just so you can slide by without a lot of effort. you'll regret it later... "

Very wise advice, i learned the hardway.

Don't get suspended!!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order