Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemoxjet20
Loc: santa cruz, magical land ...
jiffy mix casing
    #446355 - 11/04/01 03:32 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

when using jiffy mix for casing, does it need to be sterilized first?

--------------------
Free Spore Ring
what became of subtlety?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineQuantumMeltdown
Space Monkey
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Re: jiffy mix casing [Re: moxjet20]
    #446404 - 11/04/01 07:03 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

MoxJet,
My friends Parot once used this as a casing medium and she always sterilized it by wetting it and nukeing it in a covered bowl for about 7 mins. then she(the pet parot) lets it cool and its good to go. It yields better than plain verm but not as good as dung or straw said the Parot.

--------------------
-QuantumMeltdown

Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself.
  -Mark Twain

"The time has come the walrus said, little oysters  hide their heads, my Twain of thought is loosely bound I guess its time to Mark this down, Be good and you will be lonesome
Be lonesome and you will be free
Live a lie and you will live to regret it
That's what livin' is to me
That's what livin' is to me"
Jimmy Buffett

Offlinemoxjet20
    #446880 - 11/04/01 05:34 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

thanks.. does anyone know if it is supposed to be sterile coming out of the bag?

--------------------
Free Spore Ring
what became of subtlety?

Invisiblemrshrums
    #447475 - 11/05/01 07:48 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I tried nuking actual Jiffy Mix from Wal-mart not 50/50 mix and I almost caught the house on fire. The lime chips in the Jiffy Mix do not go very well in the micro-wave. I would not recommend doing this unless you are going to make 50/50 mix (verm/peat) and then add lime or oyster shells after nuking. It is important to nuke the peat because micro-organisms grow in that stuff but the verm/lime/osyster shells you really don't need to worry about. You could also just mix in some h202 with your water when you mix up your casing mix, for sterilization. Baking it in the oven or PC'ing it is probably the best method but I have used h202 in my water mix with no problems with contams. You probably should sterilize it though.

Edited by mrshrums (11/05/01 07:50 AM)

OfflineCatzeye

Loc: The South
Re: jiffy mix casing [Re: mrshrums]
    #447546 - 11/05/01 09:41 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Pressure cook everything! I don't trust those microwaving techniques. When I did my undergraduate research my proffessor was a stickler for Pressure cooking at 15psi for 45-60 minutes. Pressure cooking or "Autoclaving" is really the only sure shot way of killing off micro-organisms that form endospores and such. You can put your casing mix in pint jars or rubermaid tupperware containers and then P.Cook them. Have you guys ever trying mixing cow shit and jiffy mix?

--------------------
~It is Green, It Is AquaMarine~
It is Colors I have Never Seen.
I can See Past You
To the White Sands.
Stevie Nicks

Offlinemoxjet20
Re: jiffy mix casing [Re: Catzeye]
    #447713 - 11/05/01 12:59 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

haven't tried mixing cow shit and jiffy mix, would probably work a lot better.. maybe i will, since i have no shortage of it where i live :-) anyways, i don't have a pressure cooker so i probably wouldn't be able to do that without getting contams.. also that is why i was wondering about the jiffy mix.. pressure cooking probably IS the only way to really get rid of the nasties, so don't you think the guy above me that just put a little h2o2 into his casing mix pretty much proved they have to sterilize the stuff before they bag it? seems like if they didn't sterilize it there is no way that would be able to keep it from getting contaminated

--------------------
Free Spore Ring
what became of subtlety?

OfflineTamrylin
Loc: USA, East Coast
    #447721 - 11/05/01 01:04 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Umm, define jiffy mix. Im thinking of the peanut butter. Peanut Butter has no lime chips.

--------------------
Tangerine trees and marmalade skies...

Offlinemoxjet20
Re: jiffy mix casing [Re: Tamrylin]
    #447737 - 11/05/01 01:16 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

it is a kind of potting soil which is a lot like 50/50+ casing mix

--------------------
Free Spore Ring
what became of subtlety?

OfflineCatzeye

Loc: The South
    #447750 - 11/05/01 01:33 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

LOL! Heh, it aint exactly chopped full of nuts. Jiffy Mix is essentially the same mixture as 50/50 casing mix. Peat moss, Verm. Lime. I'm sure they do some kind of sterilization to the stuff before it gets trucked out. Kind in mind, however, that a lot of stores poke holes in the Jiffy Mix bags to let them air out. The ones I bought at Lowe's had tiny holes punched in the bags. I'm assuming this is also to let it dry out a bit. Steaming is an option if you don't have a Pressure Cooker, but you can get Pressure cookers real cheap at Walmart or on E-bay. Also, somebody told me to look at Pawn Shops for P.Cookers. If you're gonna microwave the stuff, add plenty of water and do it for at least 10 minutes. If there isn't any water present when you microwave casing mix it won't do a damned bit of good. The only way a microwave works is if there are water molecules to be heated. Steaming/Microwaving and then adding a little H2O2 would probably also help out with contams, just make sure your mycelium is strong enough to handle the peroxide and don't use to much peroxide or you'll damage the mycelium and get smaller flushes. Good Luck!

Purrrr,

~Catzeye~

--------------------
~It is Green, It Is AquaMarine~
It is Colors I have Never Seen.
I can See Past You
To the White Sands.
Stevie Nicks

OfflineQuantumMeltdown
Space Monkey
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Re: jiffy mix casing [Re: Catzeye]
    #447756 - 11/05/01 01:45 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Moxjet,
Dont listen to that pressure cooker nonsense you can get away with nuking wet jiffy mix. My friends parrot has done it dozens of times and the only time she got a contam once on one tin was when she misted to much and got cob web mold but that was when she was a newbie. wet jiffy mix and dont do it for too long and you shouldn't have a fire at least my friends parrot has not yet had any problems with this tek. She only used it with PF Tek Jars.

--------------------
-QuantumMeltdown

Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself.
  -Mark Twain

"The time has come the walrus said, little oysters  hide their heads, my Twain of thought is loosely bound I guess its time to Mark this down, Be good and you will be lonesome
Be lonesome and you will be free
Live a lie and you will live to regret it
That's what livin' is to me
That's what livin' is to me"
Jimmy Buffett

Edited by QuantumMeltdown (11/05/01 01:49 PM)

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Loc: Sandy Eggo. Ca.
Re: jiffy mix casing [Re: QuantumMeltdown]
    #447796 - 11/05/01 02:23 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

pasturize.

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

:sun::heart::sun:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag