Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Hygrometer, Perlite, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSquidfingers
Stranger
Shopping Online
    #4423315 - 07/19/05 01:40 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Heya Ive got my first jars colonizing right now (really exciting btw!) and I need to get on the ball about building my PMP. Trouble is I live in La and I'm having trouble finding a few things so I've been looking online with no luck. 

Hydroton is my biggest obstacle right now and I can't find a better deal than around 50 pds for $50 because of the shipping. I'm not sure if that's way too high or not but I have a feeling it is and I think that's more than I need. Any suggestions?

I'm also looking for a good hygrometer for 30 or less online. I've looked on ebay and searched but I couldnt find a manafacturers website for the ones I found, so there's no telling if it's accurate or not. A link or even any particular brands and model numbers that you guys find effective would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking for rye too for when I start my casings. The health food stores don't have anything and I think the rye that they would sell is expensive. Also I've called the feed stores around here and they have no clue what rye is. In fact my girlfriend stopped by a feed store for me and asked for it and the guy working the counter just started going off and gave her the stank eye ":crazyeyes:RYE!!!??? Wow, never heard of that in my LIFE. Nope never.... Crazy. :crazy2:"

Thanks for any help you can give  :laugh:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Shopping Online [Re: Squidfingers]
    #4423350 - 07/19/05 01:47 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

ask for rye grains or berries, if they give you the stink eye, check out the grain section. You should be able to find it in most health food or feed stores.

as for the hygro, lowes and or wally world carries them. I got mine at lowes and its fantastic.

Hydroton is offered by one of the shroomery sponsors for like 2.50 a liter i think. I havent been able to find it for much cheaper online. Keep in mind that this stuff is heavy so shipping is going to be a bitch. www.shroomery.org/sponsors.php i forget which shop it is but one of them has it (www.mycosupply.com maybe?)

If you really cant find it perlite works great! I had to ditch my PMP plans and use perlite. I just saw my first pins today so i know it works!! GL!

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

OfflineSquidfingers
Stranger
Re: Shopping Online [Re: coda]
    #4423439 - 07/19/05 02:13 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

She had asked for rye berries at the feed store so I think that might have been the problem. We don't have many health food stores around here also. I also think I might just have to stick with perlite until I can drive down to New Orleans and visit a hydro shop there.

Hey what kind of hygro do you have? and is it accurate/can measure up to 100%. I'll probably go looking for one there. Thanks for the help :smile: 

Please if anyone else has any suggestions or know of any good hygrometer models let me know.

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #4423475 - 07/19/05 02:25 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Good Luck.

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Shopping Online [Re: HippieChick]
    #4423598 - 07/19/05 02:59 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

well, i dont know the name of the brand off of my head, but i got it at lowes and they only had one brand. Yes it goes up to 100%, mines been sitting @ 98% since i put it in there.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

InvisibleThumpaCap
Beer Taster

Loc: Shroomwhere Out There
    #4423613 - 07/19/05 03:04 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

they also have cool digi hygro's at petsmart... dont get the one at walmart, at 90%+ it only says 'hi' . .. and whomever has never heard of rye is an idiot... 'rye' bread. duh!..... you can get both rye and hydroton on ebay but watch out for the shipping~!

--------------------
:bongload: Look into my heyes !! :bongload:

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
    #4423644 - 07/19/05 03:15 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

reliable hygrometers are expensive.
as can see in hippychicks pic, both of those are made by same co. one reads 28%, while the other reads 32%.

here is my solution Home made Psychrometer

i just can't see spending that kind of money for something you don't need.
peace out

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Shopping Online [Re: deanofmean]
    #4423831 - 07/19/05 04:06 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

^^^ yah he's right, but, for noobs like me its nice to have something to at least give you an idea of your humidity. This way if things start going south you can weed out the things that might have effected it. But, if you want to avoid it, soaked perlite provides 98+ % RH. I barely even have to mist.

--------------------

-JG

OfflineSquidfingers
Stranger
    #4425714 - 07/19/05 11:46 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Cool cool, thanks for the help guys. I'll be making some trips out to Lowes, Petsmart, etc. :smile:

Offlinelardnar
Pu Pu Platter
Male

Loc: Behind what appears
Re: Shopping Online [Re: ThumpaCap]
    #4425790 - 07/19/05 11:59 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ThumpaCap said:
they also have cool digi hygro's at petsmart

Stay away from the black one with the little iguana on the front. It's accurate but mine broke within 2 days, I guess due to humidity. The screen kept showing less and less and then went blank (no, batteries are fine). I let it dry out and it's still dead

--------------------
If your soul is sence this life is lost ...

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Shopping Online [Re: deanofmean]
    #4426467 - 07/20/05 02:53 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

deanofmean said:
reliable hygrometers are expensive.
as can see in hippychicks pic, both of those are made by same co. one reads 28%, while the other reads 32%.

here is my solution Home made Psychrometer

i just can't see spending that kind of money for something you don't need.
peace out

Actually I have the same hytgrometer as Hippie Chick.

It is very accurate and those two in the picture may not have been sitting side by side very long when she snapped the pic, so this could explain why they show different humidity levels.

So far, I've been happy with it and I only paid $35 for it on Ebay.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Hygrometer, Perlite, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation