Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Hygrometer, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Male User Gallery

Loc: U.S.
    #3245584 - 10/12/04 12:38 AM (12 years, 15 days ago)

S just ordered a digital psychrometer. S found one for $89, and S chose that one because the specs are desireable and listed on the page. (+/-3% rH) S has seen other psychrometers online, some analog, but many of them do not list their specs, so S doesn't want to take a chance. (Time is of the essence)

Here's the rub: The psychrometer is handheld, battery-powered, and has a small "tube" coming out the top which houses the sensor but it has an auto-off function after X number of minutes (It didn't say - probably 5 to 10). The question is this: if one opens up the terrarium and drops the psychrometer in very carefully, will this alter the humidity so radically that it's going to take a long time to get back to an "accurate" level, (by which time the psychrometer will have turned itself off)?

Thinking of melting a hole in the lid so that the hygrometer fits snugly upside down, with the sensor inside. Do you think this would be a good solution? Is the humidity at the top of the chamber (12" tall) going to be significantly different than the humidity at the bottom of the chamber? (On a 2.75-inch bed of perlite)

S has seen others with a nice probe connected by a wire to the unit - but these are either too expensive, less accurate, or do not go to 100% rH.

- J.

P.S. Please no Ebay references

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Psychrometer [Re: Land_Crab]
    #3245680 - 10/12/04 01:05 AM (12 years, 15 days ago)

Well I have to say I prefer a manual psychrometer although the same thing applies to them as well you need to place it so you can read it just by cracking the lid. They are much cheaper also BTW. If you could activate it externally that would be perfect. Also I recommend anyone looking to stay clear of "sling psychrometers" as they work differently from a simple stationary psychrometer. It's the difference in temp at a certain temp that matters and comparing it to a chart they're very accurate. GL

Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Male User Gallery

Loc: U.S.
Re: Psychrometer [Re: hyphae]
    #3245691 - 10/12/04 01:09 AM (12 years, 15 days ago)

Cool. Yes as a matter of fact S just found an analog one with +/-3% rH, ordered it, and cancelled the order for the other one. The other just seemed unnecessarily complicated.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Hygrometer, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation