Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Aspergers Syndrome.
    #4376425 - 07/06/05 06:04 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Let me give you my story. Im a diagnosed Manic Depressive, ADHD... But lately ive grown so disilussioned with psychiatry. I know i have something but i always didnt think i was bipolar. Lately ive been researching Aspergers and i have shown a lot of problems with it. I am very poor at making friends or building an intimate relationship with woman to the point where i have become so lonely. Im a very well spoken person and have a lot of different interests. I have many nervous tic's like shaking my legs, looking away from people when talking, shying away from social interactions.

Is their anyone who has it could maybe give me a rundown. Ive been contemplating for a while. When i as young the doctor told my parents i was Autistic but they moved the diagnosis to ADHD.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinegoob
Sleepy

Re: Aspergers Syndrome. [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #4377869 - 07/07/05 12:10 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.asperpers.com/

http://josef.org/aspergers.html

www.evenbetternow.com

Did you know that aspergillus niger, a food grade mold, is the active ingredient of Beano? And that Soysauce is a product of asperguillus fermentation. So if you suffer from flatulence, try dousing your food with soysauce:)

OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
    #4377982 - 07/07/05 12:49 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

It is actually quite easy to run down the lists of mental disorder symptoms and become convinced that you have one. I would more likely believe that you suffer from social anxiety judging by your symptoms. There are a few good threads in this forum concerning social anxiety, if you decide to look into that. If you have a hard time holding eye contact with people it is usually an indication of low self-esteem. Don't let it get you down though. It can be overcome if you dedicate yourself.

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

Invisiblechinadoll
there
 User Gallery

Loc: dark side of terrapin
    #4377990 - 07/07/05 12:53 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Aspergers is a high functioning autism. You may seem to exhibit many autistic tendencies...but if you really feel you may suffer from autism, or aspergers there are many qualified places that can hepl you out

--------------------
Just a little nervous from the fall.

Edited by chinadoll (07/07/05 12:56 AM)

Invisiblepeepeepottypants
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Aspergers Syndrome. [Re: chinadoll]
    #4381151 - 07/07/05 09:03 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

On the same note
I nanny for a family with two autistic children. One is clearly autistic, hardly verbal. THe other was also diagnost as autistic and once behaved exactly in the manner of autism, but recieved treatment and help which has enabled him to become fully functioning, and mainstreamed. He behaves like a child with asbergers. Since asbergers is the higher end of the spectrum, is a child no longer considered autistic, but asbergers when their condition has improved.

Edited by peepeepottypants (07/07/05 09:07 PM)

OfflineGNIOM1498
Death Cup
 User Gallery

Loc: My home is where my spiri...
Re: Aspergers Syndrome. [Re: peepeepottypants]
    #4381700 - 07/07/05 11:35 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Aspergers Syndrome hmmm, do u have any fascinations with strange things. Such as being fascinated with swinging doors, singing to cows or maybe knowing everything about all the planets. Plus usually you would have been diagnosed as a child all depending on your age of course if your older maybe 50 or 60's it might have slipped pasts the doctors. Usually Asperger's can not recognize their emotion nor others also.

--------------------

----ALL MY POSTS ARE FICTIONAL-------

Offlinegoob
Sleepy

Re: Aspergers Syndrome. [Re: GNIOM1498]
    #4382899 - 07/08/05 06:46 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

GNIOM1498 said:
knowing everything about all the planets.

savant

n :person who displays remarkable aptitude in some limited field (usually involving memory)

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

#4382961 - 07/08/05 08:34 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I have an incredible photographic memory for History. Especially for the civil war. When i was 5 to 10 years old i would read huge books on it and i remember all of them. In elementary school i had failing grades but an incredible aptitude for history. I would correct my history teacher frequently. I was also on the academic team while failing all my classes.

Invisiblepeepeepottypants
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4382975 - 07/08/05 08:52 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Socially, do you have difficulty picking up on nuances. Like things like sarcasm...are the unspoken "cues" of behavior amongst peers difficult to impossible to pick up upon, which often has you feel left out. Like theres something your not understanding despite the logic of the words that have been said

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Re: Aspergers Syndrome. [Re: peepeepottypants]
    #4383038 - 07/08/05 09:30 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I have a problem with sympathy and empathy. I have a lot of trouble comforting people because my problem is i say the blunt truth when a lot of times it offends people and i have no idea why. I shy a away a lot from things like hugging even with my own family.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4384101 - 07/08/05 03:26 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I have Aspergers Disorder myself. You have described many of the symptoms. I have a near photographic memory for details...I lack all social skills...no sense of direction...have a problem with empathy, it is not that I lack it, I just don't know when to feel it. As a teenagers I had involuntary tics and grunts..and squeaks. I found my place in life as a computer geek. Computers are predictable and there is always a lot of information to aquire about them. Instead of despairing of your condition (if Aspergers it is) you must embrace it and make it work for you. Find a field where your mental quirks are beneficial. A great memory and an eye for details is a gift. As for women...find a female geek. Female geeks (you know...book geeks, computer geeks, video game geeks, collect things geeks) will relate to you well because most of them also have Aspergers. By all means if you have Aspergers do not take medication for it to suppress it...just learn to slow down and take notice of people's visual cues as to their feelings.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4384110 - 07/08/05 03:29 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

You do not understand Aspergers...your post is full of ignorance. I was diagnosed as an adult.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4384156 - 07/08/05 03:43 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

The_Red_Crayon said:
I have a problem with sympathy and empathy. I have a lot of trouble comforting people because my problem is i say the blunt truth when a lot of times it offends people and i have no idea why. I shy a away a lot from things like hugging even with my own family.

I must make an interesting observation here. One of the "symptoms" of Aspergers Syndrome is something this world could use a lot more of. Telling the blunt truth.  I suspect this is more of a quality than a flaw. Most people want to be lied to constantly, and that's were the problem comes in, not the telling of truth straight forward. :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Aspergers Syndrome. [Re: Icelander]
    #4384233 - 07/08/05 04:16 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I think that telling the blunt truth is a quality that is sometimes good...sometimes disaster, but it is a tried and true symptom of Aspergers. Beleive me it can come to be a burden when you piss people off and are left wondering why. My wife often explains these things to me after the fact when I will listen.

--------------------

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Re: Aspergers Syndrome. [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4384284 - 07/08/05 04:38 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
I have Aspergers Disorder myself. You have described many of the symptoms. I have a near photographic memory for details...I lack all social skills...no sense of direction...have a problem with empathy, it is not that I lack it, I just don't know when to feel it. As a teenagers I had involuntary tics and grunts..and squeaks. I found my place in life as a computer geek. Computers are predictable and there is always a lot of information to aquire about them. Instead of despairing of your condition (if Aspergers it is) you must embrace it and make it work for you. Find a field where your mental quirks are beneficial. A great memory and an eye for details is a gift. As for women...find a female geek. Female geeks (you know...book geeks, computer geeks, video game geeks, collect things geeks) will relate to you well because most of them also have Aspergers. By all means if you have Aspergers do not take medication for it to suppress it...just learn to slow down and take notice of people's visual cues as to their feelings.

Thank you its much more comforting to hear it advice from someone who as well has it.

OfflineRedNucleus
Causal Observer
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Seahorse Valley
    #4420314 - 07/18/05 08:28 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being