Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleflowstone
blustering

Loc: precious
Georgia Chanterelles
    #4337151 - 06/25/05 07:49 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Season has STARTED!
I picked a few pounds today, and just now got done eating some sauteed shrooms with butter and salt. They were TASTY! First time ever eating them!!
Just curious, what is the best way to dry and store over 10 pounds of these? I left some behind... I washed and cleaned them pretty good. I'm gonna try to sell a few to the local restaurants.

--------------------
these long agonizing months without you...have been long and agonizing..
"War Doesn't Decide Who's Right... It Only Decides Who's Left."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePSiFr33k
Psilly Guru
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth (i think)
Re: Georgia Chanterelles [Re: flowstone]
    #4337321 - 06/25/05 08:33 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Kool beans flow , chantrelles grow in the woods right ? i havent been hunting lately i might go huntin tomorrow, little dry but might find sumthin i guess , thats the only place i have to hunt right now is the forest right here by my apartments in alpharetta , prolly stop by the hay bails on the way that are on this construction site might see a few subs or sumthin , last time i checked um only inky caps , i know right , pretty lamer shroom hunter eh yup thats me heh

--------------------

While i was in the grass, i picked them..

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

Re: Georgia Chanterelles [Re: PSiFr33k]
    #4337448 - 06/25/05 09:13 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Yep, we had a quick 30 mintue(hard) rain two days ago.
But aparently the cover of the forest and limited rain provided enough moisture for the chants to show.
This is just the start, they will bloom even bigger in the coming months.
I saw at least 10 different kinds of mushrooms growing. I was really hoping to come across some wild weilii or psilocybe atlantis. I had fun though :sun:

--------------------

OfflinePSiFr33k
Psilly Guru
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth (i think)
    #4337524 - 06/25/05 09:36 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

kool , hit me up with a PM sometime id love to go hunting for edibles with ya seriously , i have noone around here i know that are interested in fungi but i sure am its a new hobby ive come to enjoy

--------------------

While i was in the grass, i picked them..

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
    #4337540 - 06/25/05 09:40 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

DAMN! *joy and anger at the same time*  :laugh:  :crazy2:  :mad2:

I LOVE Chaterelles! Thanks for the season tipoff, ill be huntin non stop as soon as i get back in Georgia.

Quote:

flowstone said:
I picked a few pounds today, and just now got done eating some sauteed shrooms with butter and salt. They were TASTY! First time ever eating them!!
Just curious, what is the best way to dry and store over 10 pounds of these? I left some behind... I washed and cleaned them pretty good. I'm gonna try to sell a few to the local restaurants.

first, i would definently recommend selling the ones that you dry, good profit (some chefs are so stupid  :rolleyes:).
Chantys can be dried pretty much like anything else, although ive never had a need to dry them myself, i only pick for subsistence sinse fresh chantys are far better than dried ones.
They can be cooked almost anyway you like, the texture holds together wonderfully (the texture of chantys is one of my favorite aspects). Fresh, raw chantys are very spicey and dont show their full flavor (and ofcourse the red ones are hotter.. i think). you can top off anything with fresh chanterelles to add a distint spiciness that is shorter lived, but more intense than hot peppers, and is completely different. Like a 20 min salvia trip as opposed to a 12 hour acid trip.
I dont want to go into any more details with cooking, just that chanterelles are sweet (like apricot) when cooked. Excellent grilled, shishkabob style, or in an omlette (personal favorite)...  :drooling: :cheers:

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

Re: Georgia Chanterelles [Re: Lysergic_Milkman]
    #4337573 - 06/25/05 09:48 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I was EXTREMELY pleased with how good gourmet mushrooms taste. No one else in my family eats them, so I had never tried it. If chantereles were that good, I can't imagine how nice morels must be. Just simple sauteed in butter for 4 minutes with salt and pepper was an excellent meal. I am going to blacken some tuna and serve it with stirfryed chanterelles and snow peas for dinner tommorow night. Fucking aye!

As far as the season tip off, you're welcome. I was a bit surprised myself to see them this large, this early in the year. They are VERY common here in GA, I swear I see them in the woods almost everywhere at the rains.

--------------------

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #4339056 - 06/26/05 11:47 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

sounds good flowstone.

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

#4339257 - 06/26/05 01:12 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

flowstone said:
I was EXTREMELY pleased with how good gourmet mushrooms taste. No one else in my family eats them, so I had never tried it. If chantereles were that good, I can't imagine how nice morels must be. Just simple sauteed in butter for 4 minutes with salt and pepper was an excellent meal. I am going to blacken some tuna and serve it with stirfryed chanterelles and snow peas for dinner tommorow night. Fucking aye!

As far as the season tip off, you're welcome. I was a bit surprised myself to see them this large, this early in the year. They are VERY common here in GA, I swear I see them in the woods almost everywhere at the rains.

Yeah, and sorry for the rant, but i love the chantys!
I think chaterelles are better than morels, its all a matter of opinion. We should get together sometime and just have a shroom grill party!

Offlinebluelou
NUTCASEdrugbucket!
Male User Gallery

Loc: $hroom Central
    #4339377 - 06/26/05 02:14 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

PIX???please!

--------------------
Have you tried my(black kow) pile style tek outdoors!!!!!!!!

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

#4340091 - 06/26/05 06:57 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I went back out again today and NEW chanterelles came up from yesterdays rain, and with today's HARD rain in N-ATL I can guarantee you they will be out strong tomorrow. I am going to spend a lot of time tommorow shroom hunting :smile:

--------------------

Offlineihaveacow
ilovehumidity

#4340139 - 06/26/05 07:18 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I had no idea thats what the chanterelles were...

I tossed 5 of them the other day bc i figured they were poisonous...

geeze... newby... hahahhhahahaha

:-)

--------------------
im me on aim... bennettbike

i dont smoke, drink, or abuse drugs, but because i trip spiritually twice a year i got a felony!

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #4340270 - 06/26/05 08:08 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I've been meaning to make a post about this. I knew that they were up but haven't found any yet. I know because the leaves in the woods are turning orange. I think it might have something to do with their mycellium.

Here's what I'm talking about:

Once I get some time off work (I work 6 days a week) I'll get some pics of what's up.

Here's my pics from previous years:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/usergallery.php/gallery/8399/imgpl/5/imgpp/25/folder/chanterelles

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #4340322 - 06/26/05 08:20 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Best way to store chantrelles is saute and freeze them they don't really lose anything when you do them this way. Drying is the next best way, they are a little chewier this way, still very good.

My favorite way is sauteed with onions and added to rice with pecans.

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

Re: Georgia Chanterelles [Re: Gumby]
    #4340933 - 06/26/05 11:25 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Sweet picture gallery !!!!!!

I know about the orange leaves... I swear it makes them that much harder to spot. I thought I had a patch or two for sure, and when I wandered back there on got on top of them I was disappointed to find just leaves. Other than that, they stand out like a bright orange sun on the brown forest floor.

PS- Some of them have little holes in them. Bugs no doubt, is it ok to keep them if they do? In fact, it's very hard to find a chanterelle un-touched by bugs or slugs, but I did find a few. I kept them all, even the eaten ones.. I assume washing and soaking will get red of anything inside?

--------------------

Offlinemastacheefa
Stranger

Loc: N. Georgia
    #4342442 - 06/27/05 09:52 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Would these be chanterelles? I live in N. Georgia and found these in the woods growing out of the ground this morning. They were scattered over an area of about 100 feet. The gills are odd looking and appear to split and criss cross. Ive read theres 2 lookalikes: one being the false chanterelle and the other the jack o lantern. Im 90% sure this is them but Ive often been wrong in the past so I figured Id check.

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Re: Georgia Chanterelles [Re: mastacheefa]
    #4342453 - 06/27/05 09:58 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Those are the golden chantys man!
Nice  :thumbup:
you need to clean those good, looks like a squirrel shit all over your patch... :poop:

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

#4342454 - 06/27/05 10:00 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

On second look, some of those look curious. Check them all to make sure none of them have actual caps with gills. The chanterelles dont have real caps or gills (just incase you needed reminding).

Offlinemastacheefa
Stranger

Loc: N. Georgia
    #4342458 - 06/27/05 10:02 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Awww dont say that..lol!  Alot of them were under piles of leaves.  Ill be sure to give them a good washing.

Edit:  Yeah, like the one in the bottom picture on the right? 
None of them appear to have true caps.  The stems turn into gills at the top and then the gills turn into the makeup of the cap like top. If that makes sense. :crazy:

Edited by mastacheefa (06/27/05 10:07 AM)

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

Re: Georgia Chanterelles [Re: mastacheefa]
    #4342651 - 06/27/05 11:11 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Ya, they are Canterelles for sure. Nice finds, I am about to go hit the woods. Good luck people!

--------------------

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

#4342692 - 06/27/05 11:21 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

hmmm... i was gonna say that the one with the white stem in the middle picture is questionable, but i saw that you got a gill shot of it in the last pic, smart thinking.  :thumbup:
Looks like a chanterelle to me! Its probably just a monster mutant.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale