Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
fuzzy cakes
    #433442 - 10/22/01 05:01 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

My cakes have been sitting in a perlite humidified terrarium for about two days now. They are starting to get fuzzy in spots. It just looks like a series of bumps / fuzz. Is this what I want to see? Should I see brown heads emerging soon after? thanks

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: fuzzy cakes [Re: phrozendata]
    #433471 - 10/22/01 05:26 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I'de just like to add another question. I had some jars (8 days old, no colonization) and I put a mug of very warm steaming water in the incubation chamber without thinking straight. The water formed massive condensation and all the tape on top of the jars were wet. Moreover, the dry (not anymore) verm layers also got wet and now the jars have a funny smell. They show no growth (or contamination) but am I doomed?

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
    #433487 - 10/22/01 05:41 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Also, if I were to go out and buy one of those cheapo reptile humidity guages and calibrate it can I expect it to give me good enough humidity readings? Also, if my perlite is very lightly (can only be felt if I run my hands on the side) condensation would artifically hand spraying the sides be cool? If water were to get on the cake could it just be dabbed off. Would it be harmful?

--------------------

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
    #433557 - 10/22/01 06:58 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

One, maby more later. Sorry but i'm sure its better than making a new topic every question. After I steam jars for a good hour I notice quite a bit of condensation inside the jars. Is this fine. Also, even with a foil covering the tape on the lids get wet. Not soaked, but wet. If this is happening, would the dry verm layer be getting wet? If it was, could it bring contamination?

--------------------

Offlinefiddler4u
enthusiast
Loc: Where the shrooms are gre...
    #433594 - 10/22/01 07:30 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

When I first started to grow, I did the same thing and used cakes. After a day or two, I noticed the same tiny white bumps, they almost look like very tiny cotton balls growing all over the cake. To make a long story short, I got alot of people to reply to my ? I tried everything that was mentioned with very very little results. So I had about 3 cakes after that and I went for it! I cased......
Well now it's 4 years later, and my record(if you want to call it that)....I lost one casing........thats it. I have no specail equipment, i use the oven tek...no glove box! My terr. is nothing more than a medium size plastic tub, with a lizard heating pad underneth hooked up to a temp. gauge. Humidity/ fresh air are supplied from a bubbler system that i've designed....My whole set-up is small, tight, clean, and very productive :)
Well to get to the point......case. You came this far....so you must be clean. Your shrooms will be 10x better then what any cake will give you, and if you ever notice....their are more problems with cakes then casings.
Good Luck

--------------------
I am the vine, you are the branches. If a man remains in me, and I in him, he will bare much fruit.
Apart from me you can do nothing. john 15:5

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: fuzzy cakes [Re: fiddler4u]
    #433700 - 10/22/01 08:58 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Thank-You for your opinion. I was hoping somebody had acutally answered my questions. Please, can somebody? I might case after I get a first flush but I really need to get some shrooms to spore print.

--------------------

Offlinehomebrew

#434047 - 10/23/01 10:10 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I am by no means an expert, but my experience has been that the cakes start pinning about 3-5 days after the appearance of the fluffy fuzz. At any rate, don't worry: as long as they look and smell healthy the shrooms will come.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags