Home | Community | Message Board

Fairy Ring Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Giu La Testa
critique my home recording setup
    #4329495 - 06/23/05 07:35 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

so my ghetto ass has been making music on my own for years, in addition to playing with various bands, both cover and original.
recently though, i have reached a level which is either writer's block or total frustration with my current electronic project.
i reached out to my roommate, a guitar player and a collaborator with me for several years now
gave him a cd with a few of the tracks i have come up with between fruity loops and adobe audition, and asked him to either write lyrics or some guitar parts.
he came to me with some music, but recording is a bitch on a limited budget.
here was my ghetto rig:
my yamaha synth into an amp
his guitar into his pedals into his practice amp
both of these were miced with a cheap no name mic i have had for god knows how long- the mic was about 1 foot from the two amps
i tweaked the volumes until i got something i was comfortable with
then recorded into adobe audition.
the only problem with this is i have to drag my big ass desktop all the way downstairs to achieve this setup.
i had no problems other than this, but can anyone think of a way to improve on this system?
for related questions about this project, see my other thread i am about to post...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, CAN
Re: critique my home recording setup [Re: muse_sick]
    #4329835 - 06/23/05 08:53 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Dude your setup is almost the exact same as mine. Get to know Adobe Audition inside out. You can do so much with sounds and music in that program. A shitty mic is capable of producing some awesome stuff through audition.

I just recently caved and bought a Shure Beta 57A Mic ($200). It's making a world of difference, damn. I just put that mic infront of my amp/acoustic. I used to plug my amp in the headphone jack of my organ, but I get a good enough sound just placing the mic infront of the organ speaker itself.

One improvement i can suggest is to google/search mic techniques. Like good placement. Believe or not, there's like 12 different positions to mic an acoustic guitar. Each position gives more bass/more treble, mids, etc.

Wait until you gotta mic drums. Hah what a bitch.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media