Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Digital Recorder Questions.
    #2950324 - 08/01/04 12:28 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I'm use to recording on the computer ala acid but I am looking to become independant of the computer and have a complete studio where I can master and burn CD's.

I'm thinking about getting either the Fostex mr-8 or the VF80-EX. The VF has a CD burner on it and the mr8 doesn't. Could one use the VF (or other digital records w/ CDRW) to burn complete cd's or can it only record one track(song) at a time?

Do you have to connect the mr-8 to a computer to burn a cd or could you connect it directly to an external CDR?

I want something that I can record semi-proffesional (doesn't have to be too high end) quality CD's independant of a computer. Does anyone have a better alternative to the digital fostex records?

Thank you for your time. I just want to be sure and inform myself before I make this investment.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Digital Recorder Questions. [Re: Aneglakya]
    #2950478 - 08/01/04 01:23 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Its a bit above my price range but I am also considering the tascam 788 /2488.. Do the fostex compare to these at all? The other alternative would be the yamaha AW16G

Invisiblefunkymonk
Get's down, withthe get-down.
 User Gallery

Loc: saskatchewan
    #2950746 - 08/01/04 02:58 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

ive got a digital 4-track with 8 virtual tracks per track, and it's pretty kick ass, the only think is i wish it had a better built in drum machine.

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Digital Recorder Questions. [Re: funkymonk]
    #2952102 - 08/01/04 04:03 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

what model is it? How do you transfer it to CD(or wav/mp3)?

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

#2956505 - 08/02/04 03:37 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Sorry to bump my thread , i know it isn't fashionable.. but i'm really really curious as to the answer to my question. I'm really ready to take my recording to the next level and I want to make sure I get the most bang for the buck.

OfflineRob_K
s p a c e d

Loc: London
    #2956791 - 08/02/04 04:49 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not certain why you need to get a stand alone machine.. If you have a reasonable computer you can record stuff into Cubase SX with the added bonus of being able to make an unlimited amount of tracks. I know you said you want to be independant of your computer, but there's nothing 'incomplete' about a studio in your computer!

Sorry this isn't what you wanted to hear- you may have other reasons for wanting a multitracker, but if quality is the only issue, I'd stay with the PC. I'd say the one thing a multitracker has over the PC is you can lug it to band practices or live performances no hassle, wheras the PC is stuck at home.

--------------------
-{ divined from the mind }--

My music

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Digital Recorder Questions. [Re: Rob_K]
    #2956814 - 08/02/04 04:53 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I dont have a reasonable computer.. Its sort of slow. I bought a laptop so I could have a transportable recording studio but my sound card isn't full duplex so it doesn't serve me for what I need and I have yet to upgrade it.

I dont work well in the cubase environment and the only reason I use acid is for its ability to layer tracks.

I sort of have a feeling that a Digital multitrack recorder is going to be nothing more than a sequencer with the ability to record from an outside source... This makes me wonder if I should just save up for a workstation like the Triton or Phantom....

I just joined Harmony Central message board as I think they may be able to help me out.

Thanks for your suggestion Rob K.. I am a very ammatuer musician but making this shitty music is my life force and I am ready to educate myself more about it. Thank you.

OfflineRob_K
s p a c e d

Loc: London
    #2956940 - 08/02/04 05:22 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I have a Triton and I love it.. however it doesn't do the same job as a multitrack recorder. I've barely even looked at the internal sequencer on the Triton because I prefer working visually in Cubase. You will probably find it similar working with audio on your workstation.

I wouldn't like to have to edit a song together without being able to see all the tracks laid out in front of me and the only way you can do that is on a computer. Plus it's very easy to correct little glitches in your performance by zooming down to sample level and cutting together a perfect performance out of 20 sub-par takes. Also you have the wealth of VST soft synths and audio tools available (many of them for free) on the internet as well as the not so free ones that conveniently pop up in Kazaa..

For me it's a no brainer- PC based recording all the way. I use one of these:

http://www.dv247.com/invt/6454

It's handy because it functions as a MIDI in/out, surround sound pre-amp, phantom power source for microphones and it records at DVD audio quality. I wouldn't want to be without it now!

And don't be so hard on yourself- if the music is in your soul then you have no reason to call it shitty. Just don't give up on it!  :smile:

--------------------
-{ divined from the mind }--

My music

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Digital Recorder Questions. [Re: Rob_K]
    #2957185 - 08/02/04 06:13 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Potential seems to be all my music is.. but I make it for myself not for the others. can't you tell im bashfull? :wink:

What do you think about the M-box. For some reason, I tried cubase and that other program by sonic foundry (forget the name) but just cant seem to get into them. maybe I will setup a new box devoted soley to recording.. I still want to pursue my digital multitrack though, but i'm going to seriously consider what you tell me here. I think I have a copy of cubase (or cake walk or something) sitting around somewhere.

What are some good soft synths? I see that they are around $100-$300 from the magazines and that just seems rediculus to me. I think i've been making music on the computer so long that I just feel that using a new platform will inspire new concepts in me. A change in instruments or a new synth always give me plenty of new ideas and keep me on my toes.

With the MR-8, I believe I can transfer each individual track to PC and then use a program like acid to edit them. This seems really fucking cool. I can't wait to blow my paycheck on a machine.

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
    #2957599 - 08/02/04 08:29 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Good soft synths:
Absynth
Orchestral
Z3TA
Moog Modular
Battery
Pro53
Waldorf Attack
flexfx Space Synthesizer
Amplitube

I swear I'll eventually get around to making a sticky outlining Sound Software...

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Digital Recorder Questions. [Re: Blastrid]
    #2957708 - 08/02/04 09:11 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

as I posted on Harmony central's message board:

"I've read some reviews of the product and feel that it is what I am looking for. I suppose that it will be a good idea just to transfer WAV to the PC and then burn to CD. I believe that I will probably use it in conjunction with cubase or acid.

The only downside is that the memory card it comes with isn't capable of holding much data and if you want to upgrade its going to set you back another $120-$150. Can it really only hold 3 minutes per track, assuming you use all 8 tracks?

If I am going to spend more than $300 I might as well spend a few extra bills to get a better piece of equipment.

It also appears, based on user reviews, that you cannot play back just one track at a time, which I find would be problematic. Can you confirm that this is true?

If these minor flaws aren't as big of a deal as they seem, I would still really like to go with the MR-8. But if i'm going to end up with a piece of equipment that isn't as capable as I want, I will go ahead and get something else.

What would be the next step up from the MR-8 for around $500-$600 ?"

Invisiblefunkymonk
 User Gallery

#2958295 - 08/03/04 12:30 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

i upload it via USB, or media card reader to my laptop and edit it with which ever program i choose.

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Digital Recorder Questions. [Re: funkymonk]
    #2958308 - 08/03/04 12:33 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

After doing some extensive research I feel that buying a hard disk recorder will be the better option.

Invisiblefunkymonk
 User Gallery

#2958345 - 08/03/04 12:40 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

It most defiantly would be.

Invisiblemr crisper

#2961182 - 08/03/04 07:15 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

ive been using two roland sp-808's for the past 5 years.
one has a 750mb zip drive (2.5 hours recording time at 44.1khz).
the other 250mb (1 hour).
kind've a mid-point between a sampler and a hard disk recorder.

they have optical, digital and analog in/outs - plug straight into my cd burner.

808's also have an excellent synth, straight outta the jp8000 and a step modulator. and d-beam controller (never use it tho)

they are getting old now, hence getting quite cheap, ive seen them go for $120. there are much better things around these days but you have to pay for them.

also they are excellent for playing live, always the brain of my set-up.

soft synths?
these used to be free.
i got 'em all.
but from this year you have to pay, cheap tho.
http://www.ele4music.com/synthedit/synthedit.html

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Digital Recorder Questions. [Re: mr crisper]
    #2967420 - 08/05/04 12:22 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I found someone who will sell me his brand new mr8 for 250$ with a 500something MB Card. I'm deff. going to purchase this and simply transfer to my computer and edit with acid or cubase or something.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media