Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
When I was out hunting the other day, I found alot of cubes (of course) and a few of them looked like they were decaying( from insects eating them, the rain, etc) and a few of them looked pretty bad so I left them there.
I did, however, see a few that were still in fairly good condition, so I pikced them and dropped them in my bag. When I got home to clean them off, I saw a few of them had a few tiny little red dots on them.
Almost like someone took a felt tip marker and touched the cap, to give it this tiny, reddish-pink dot on it. I threw out all the mushrooms that I saw have this.
The thing is, what if I missed some? Was it some sort of bad contamination? If so, would it have spread to the other mushrooms in the bag, even the ones in awesome condition?
I don't want to have ruined a good yield of mushrooms =\, but I certainly won't risk eating a batch if there's any chance of them being contaminated with anything poisonous or hurtful.
Sniff the ones you didnt toss. Many bacterial infections (which is what this sounds like) have a distinctly different (and very pungent) smell compared to the normal shrooms. Some green bacterial infections that occur on cubes in cold weather conditions, smell STRONGLY of fishy yeast.
i'm kinda in the same situation as you.. except mine (cubensis i think) were covered in black .. same with the gills.. don't know if it is harmfull bacteria or something or just old/spore covered. you ever came across "any" cubensis with black?