Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Dehydrator

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSEN_DF
Stranger
Dehydrator..... Too hot?
    #4291247 - 06/13/05 03:04 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

With more humid weather moving in lately I've had to abandon my fan drying and move on to other options. I figured if I was gonna be spending money I might as well go all the way, so I stopped off at Wal-Mart today on my way home from work and grabbed a dehydrator.

I had heard good things about the Nesco American Harvest dehydrators, and they had one at Wal-Mart [that was the only one actually] so I grabbed it. When I got home, I realised it had no temperature guage on it, which kind of upset me but I figured it made no difference.

After throwing some mushrooms in and getting it all setup it seemed to be running awful hot [I expected it to be warm of course, but it seemed excessive] so I dropped a thermometer in there that went up to 100F and it maxed out in a couple minutes. With no indication of what temperatures it reaches in the manual I called up Nesco to ask and I was told this specific dehydrator [Nesco American Harvest Snackmaster Entree] ranges from 130-150F! Now that's too god damn hot!

So what would you say? Take it back? If so I'm fucked because I can't find a dehydrator anywhere else [Wal-Mart was my last option] and I don't want to have to order one online.

Does anyone else use this specific model? Does it work for you? Or maybe there's some way I could modify it to run a bit cooler? I don't know, right now I've got some mushrooms in there so any help would be aprreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinejsb
Stranger
Re: Dehydrator..... Too hot? [Re: SEN_DF]
    #4291259 - 06/13/05 03:06 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

is there a way to get into the machine and deactivate the heating element?

Offlinejsb
Stranger
Re: Dehydrator..... Too hot? [Re: jsb]
    #4291268 - 06/13/05 03:08 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i use a nesco american harvest, but it has a temp control. the lowest setting is 90-95. but i measured and found that it barely gets to 90. more like 85-88.

OfflineSEN_DF
Stranger
    #4291295 - 06/13/05 03:14 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Unfortunatly the fan/heating piece doesn't screw together so I'd have to break it to get to the heating element.

I was thinking of maybe modifying an extension cord to run through a dimmer switch so that way I could plug the unit into the cord with the dimmer switch and turn it down to about half power.

Think that'd work? Think it'd be safe? Anything I could use that'd be better than a dimmer? Or maybe theres already a product out there that will let me reduce the power going into something?

Thanks again.....

Edited by SEN_DF (06/13/05 03:15 PM)

Offlinejsb
Stranger
Re: Dehydrator..... Too hot? [Re: SEN_DF]
    #4291304 - 06/13/05 03:17 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

that's a cool idea. i don't know if the fan would work right. it may be designed to operate at a certain rpm or something. i never mess around with electricity. it may be safer to just order one. good luck though. if all else fails, i used the paper plate method for a long time before i got a dehydrater. it's slow and you need relative privacy.

OfflineDoctor
Strangled
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4291341 - 06/13/05 03:26 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I would be careful using a dimmer to control a heating element. Dimmers may not be designed to handle the amount of amps that a heating element would need. I would research it a bit more first, or you may be drying out your shrooms in a totally unexpected way, lol.

OfflineSEN_DF
Stranger
Re: Dehydrator..... Too hot? [Re: Doctor]
    #4291415 - 06/13/05 03:49 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, I know what you mean. Anything involving heating elements makes me nervous, it's like I can already hear the sirens rushing towards my house!

Those mushrooms I had sitting in there were cracker dry after about an hour, not even. Granted I had them sitting in front of a fan for 24 hours but still. Regardless, I won't be needing the dehydrator for a little while longer [waiting on my second flush] so that gives me some time to figure out what to do.

Maybe I'll go down to Home-Depot and explain my situation [less a few facts of course] to one of the guys' there, see if they can give me any suggestions.

Thanks for the replies. I still appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Dehydrator

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation