Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebeyondsisxth
Title?
Male User Gallery

Found something in the closet, colonized jar?
    #4252656 - 06/03/05 05:16 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

A little background first, when I prepared my pf jars I prepared tons at once and kept the unused ones in a box at the bottom of a closet. When I did a second inoculation run I brought all my leftovers out and prepared and innoced them. All of the jars had been sterilized and sitting there for well over a month, none showed any signs of competitor molds. After I inoculated all of them but one, I put them back in the box moved some into the closet where I keep grow stuff and put the lone unused jar back into its box.

Now in my grow closet there has been one jar that hasn't shown ANY signs of any growth. I thought at first that this was just because I only innoced this one at two sites because I ran out of spores in my syringe, and even then that the inoculum in the syringe might be out of spores at that point. Its still sitting in there, no signs of growth.

However when I was putting laundry up in the other closet, I noticed the last unused jar looked like this.

At first I wondered if this jar had been colonized by normal mushroom mycelium, but I don't know because compared to my other jars that I know have mycelium growing in them, this doesn't look like them. It looks too solid and creamy rather than the stark, ropey white of the mycelium in the other jars. However, this jar has been sitting in a closet in a house with no AC (my room has a window AC unit to keep temps moderate, while the house stays normal temp in the area, which ranges from 80-90 degrees, sometimes 100ish).

So my questions is, what is it? Is it a fully colonized cake that I should try birthing, or is it some nasty competitor mold that took a month+ to start growing in the jar. It gives off no odors, although I don't know if it would seeing how its in the jar.

--------------------
The sun was pulling cheap shots doing commercial body tricks, Behind the back, Under the leg, I think he even did a headspin, On a crossfader that sounded whack, But looked excellent, All of the sudden it gets dim, The crater face steps in, Puts mexican drumbreaks on the Technics, He's like "Let's begin", He conducted an orchestra so dope the sun started sweatin' him, I guess he'd expected to win on pure artistic merit, Composing complex plays with nothin but soundbytes, Burned out the lights, Made MCs too self conscious quit the master mics, For a thousand nights, It continued without a single slip up, Except once the record skipped, But it kinda sounded cool.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Found something in the closet, colonized jar? [Re: beyondsisxth]
    #4252666 - 06/03/05 05:19 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

It looks like a jar of brown rice powder to me. There is nothing biological about your jars appearance.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Offlinegrow
i ^
    #4252670 - 06/03/05 05:20 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

open it up and take a whiff. be careful though.

i've never done a brf cake so I couldn't say it's an over colonized jar. It's more than likely mold. might want to post this in the contamination forum also.

my advice is... Definitely don't birth it.

I took a look at a different picture, and it only looks like brown rice flour, nothing growing in it as far as i can tell. :shrug:

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Found something in the closet, colonized jar? [Re: grow]
    #4252712 - 06/03/05 05:31 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

open it up and take a whiff. be careful though.

don't open it and smell it!~

that is not a very safe thing to do!~

---

doesn't look like any mycelium that I have ever seen.

I'd chuck it!~

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Found something in the closet, colonized jar? [Re: Roadkill]
    #4252724 - 06/03/05 05:34 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

it does look like brf, you will get the idiot award if it is!!!

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

Teh=The

I need to proofread

Offlinewaixingren
Male

Loc: SW Florida
Trusted Cultivator
    #4252726 - 06/03/05 05:35 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

that is nuts.

--------------------

Offlinebeyondsisxth
Title?
Male User Gallery

Re: Found something in the closet, colonized jar? [Re: Holydiver]
    #4252737 - 06/03/05 05:38 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Its not just brown rice flour though, look at the picture from the bottom, that texture is the vermiculite.

It looked identical to this jar.

I had a contam a few months ago that looked cottony and solid like this, was white but went grey and dark, but it never got the whole cake and it never looked this consistent.

Also, so I don't start another thread just for more questions how does this jar look. Is that Myc piss on the bottom?

--------------------
The sun was pulling cheap shots doing commercial body tricks, Behind the back, Under the leg, I think he even did a headspin, On a crossfader that sounded whack, But looked excellent, All of the sudden it gets dim, The crater face steps in, Puts mexican drumbreaks on the Technics, He's like "Let's begin", He conducted an orchestra so dope the sun started sweatin' him, I guess he'd expected to win on pure artistic merit, Composing complex plays with nothin but soundbytes, Burned out the lights, Made MCs too self conscious quit the master mics, For a thousand nights, It continued without a single slip up, Except once the record skipped, But it kinda sounded cool.

Offlinebeyondsisxth
Title?
Male User Gallery

#4252755 - 06/03/05 05:44 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Went with my instinct and chucked it, thanks for looking anyways.

--------------------

Offlinewaixingren
Male

Loc: SW Florida
Trusted Cultivator
    #4252787 - 06/03/05 05:55 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

yeah thats myc piss in the last pic

--------------------

OfflineLengthyFellow
I play with poo

#4252814 - 06/03/05 06:04 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Aw I wanted to see what grew off that thing!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation