Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineheadset
Stranger
Say you were hitchhiking across the country...
    #4197779 - 05/19/05 10:54 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Well thats my plan..

Im just in a lull and filled with piss and vinegar. Half my friends are doing it.. and im just at the stage of my life where i wanna fly signs, meet strangers, fuck girls with dreadlocks and tattoo's, do festivals and be a bum.

Of course im just some bitch middle class punk kid whose poor as fuck living on his own.

Im gonna leave the Coast and go through the interior and then ride out to Calgary and paint my journey from there. Ill probably have about 500 bucks for the summer.. and will probably carve beads/fly sign live out of dumpsters and foodbanks.

ill have cons, jeans, maybe some carhearts, ear protection, a small tent (maybe), sleeping bag, stove (pot + pan) 2 pairs of socks, a belt, a journal and a book (trade em on the road), long underware, shorts and a couple shirts. I think thats about it...

On the road again...

Anyone done anything like this?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleKahSol
Deffinatelystill aStranger.
Loc: Still Searching
Re: Say you were hitchhiking across the country... [Re: headset]
    #4197783 - 05/19/05 10:57 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

no

but I'd like to bike around the country

--------------------
I was strolling through the park one day...
On a very merry month of May..
When I was taken by surprise!
By a pair of Cube-ee Psi's!
In the merry merry month of May!

OfflineDrink_Punk_Soda
Now with ExtraVaganza!?

Loc: Nowhere fast
    #4197813 - 05/19/05 11:05 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

A few things to consider, having done this multiple times myself-

Unless you're planning to travel with a full-harness hiking pack, you might want to cut down your baggage to what you can fit in a single backpack. Also, unless you plan on jumping fence at every show, $500 is not going to get you very far. Also, hitching, while effective, IS illegal- you will almost definately be arrested once if not more, so make sure there's someone who can post bail if you can't.

Where do you plan to sleep? Public vagrancy is also illegal, and benches offer little protection from the elements.

I'm sure these are things you've considered, and I'm certainly not suggesting you don't go- it'll be a life changing experience. But do think ahead before you start off.

--------------------

Kumbayah my lord, Kumbayah...

OfflineDeadPhan
Male User Gallery

Re: Say you were hitchhiking across the country... [Re: Drink_Punk_Soda]
    #4197843 - 05/19/05 11:57 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

hitchhiked cross coountry, got stuck in nebraska, not a good place to fly signes there. if i was more prepared, tentwise, foodwise, drugwise, i would have been much more content doing so! had lost my backpack with all my shit a few shows before hand. still had an amaxing experience. met some kid that did rainbow trail and he scooped me up, told me of his mom being clairvoyant, played bob marleys rainbow country on the way to him bringing me to the bus station and compensating me for the money i ddint have to make it to ny on the bus! gave me a pair of shades and an awesome drawring! hitchhiking was way cool but way hot at times, being it was dead of summer, very lonely at times, but wouldnt trade the experience for most anything. sory im wasted so if this is incoherant my bad

--------------------

Big Gulps!  Alright!  Well,  See ya later!
And if i claim to be a wise man, well, it surely means that i dont know!

Offlineemptywisdom
simple being oflight
 User Gallery

Loc: Lemuria
Re: Say you were hitchhiking across the country... [Re: Drink_Punk_Soda]
    #4197946 - 05/20/05 12:45 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

It's only illeagle to hitch in some states, and If you are cruising the off ramps onto the highway you don't exactly need to kick out a thumb for anyone who might pick you up to know what you are up too. No thumb, and you can just tell any asshole cops you are walking. Solves that problem. And you have homeless people every where you go. Sure, if you crash out on a sidewalk or a conspicuous park bench, you're gonna get some shit. But with any common sense (which is so vitale when doing this) you can find out of the way places to sleep without trouble. Full harness hikeing packs suck ass, they are heavy, it's hot, and they don't always fit in small cramped cars, wrong answer. Just pack light. Use a small tent, blanket or really light sleeping bag. You don't need much. and the longer you go the more you realize that less is really more.

Man, just be ready for some fucked up rides, some times you'll get great rides that seem like angels or a manifestation straight from your soul. Sometimes you'll get assholes who want to fuck with you or perverts. The longer you go at it the more you see. You get a great view of what people are like. A preception of people you get nowhere else.

Oh, and spangeing is a talent. Don't get discouraged if you have hard times getting money at first, You really won't need much, 500 is gonna be fine, If you stick with it you'll learn pretty quick how to get everything you need. As you're desires begin to shift more to needs than pleasures it gets easy to focus on makeing sure you have what you need. Sometimes you will seem to get "stuck" places too. this can be such a bitch, especially if it's somewhere like nebraska like deadphan mentioned. Obviousley there are alot more red states the blue ones, and alot of those heavily red area don't much appreciate hitchikers and the kine. Getting stuck in a spot where it's hard to score food or the locals are close to being hostile can be really discourageing. Just try to keep the head up, your ride will manifest eventually as long as you're karma is square. Getting stuck in shitholes sometimes provides great insights and is just part of the experience.

If you end up in a really shady spot to hitch and walking is just rediculousley out of the question, try to get to a gas station/truck stop/rest stop. where people might be filling up on thier way out or down the road just casually ask people if they are heading the way you are going, get a feel for whether these people are cool or not, you'll get really good at reading people and what kinds of people (generally) will be willing to help you out or just want company for thier ride. This presents it's own risks but is better then thumbing it in some areas, and somtimes the next time you are gonna find anything is a long way away, so walking could end up being a huge mistake.

Get a backpack that has a spot to put in a camel back, and also carry and extra water bottle, the bigger the better. It sucks to carry around a big gallon jug, so a camel back can be your best friend, but you really want to have plenty of water, obviousley.

--------------------

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: Say you were hitchhiking across the country... [Re: emptywisdom]
    #4198044 - 05/20/05 01:08 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

get a tripple A card, its a bond card up to $1000 and not for just traffic offenses,

also get a biig fucking knife. a relitive of mine was murdered hitchhiking across the country, they found her body 2 years ago, at least 10 years after she vanished, my mom told me all about it....

be careful

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Offlineemptywisdom
simple being oflight
 User Gallery

Re: Say you were hitchhiking across the country... [Re: ZippoZ]
    #4198153 - 05/20/05 01:37 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Only get a knife if your willing to use it. Any weapons you have can easily be turned against you, especially if you hesitate in using it when shit hits the fan. I personally don't like to travel with any weapon because 99 percent of the time I would never use it, and that's not the energy I want to cary. Caution is necessary, but fear can be smelled by predators. A friend of mine who is female always cary's a knife, but she would not hesitate to drive it straight into someones neck if need be, and It's actually helped her get out of some shit, even though she never actually had to put it into anybody. It makes a statement, that's for sure. If you do cary a knife or any other weapon, make sure it's not illeagle. Sometimes cops are just itching for a good reason to put a freeloader away, and a knife that is an inch too long for you to legaly cary could end up being a nightmare with a cop. It's tough to not want somethind though. I've been in a lot of sketchy area's where I'll pick up shit, metal rods, glass bottles, a big fucking rock, anything that could help if you need it. But personally I never hold on to them long. Sometimes you get that feeling in your gut that you should have something to cover your ass, and it's best to always listen to your gut.
Man, this is tough. A knife is probably a good idea, as is an asp. But again, always remember that whatever you bust out as a weapon when something starts to go down, be ready to use it right now, because you don't want that shit turned against you.

The triple A card sounds like a good idea, I did'nt realize it covered bail money. How much does it cost to get one of those?

--------------------

Offlineheadset
Stranger
Re: Say you were hitchhiking across the country... [Re: ZippoZ]
    #4198161 - 05/20/05 01:39 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Props thanks for the encouragement guys.

Its definately something ive thought long and hard about, and hesitated too many times before - its just that time. Howd your guys' parents react to your adventures?

Im definately only taking a pack a found a north face big shot.. and its pretty small, maybe like a college kids pack. I can definately fit everything into/onto it...

I remember last year i bought a 200 dollar 3000 cu." pack to go for a couple weeks, and it was ridiculous how much shit i had hanging off it, it was huge.. and i never touched most of it. - Lesson learned.

I carry a box cutter in my pocket as its quicker and more accessible.

Im hitching Canada mostly and i dont think there'll be too many serious problems with the law, and its defiantely easy to find safe places to sleep with a little ingenuity.. parks and places i always get sprinklered on!

As far as shows - have faith and you can usually get in, im more stoked on 7 dollar punk shows than the jam scene. Ill be doing some free tekno/anarkist gatherings too, and shambahla which ill sneek in or work a smoothie stand, and hopefully ill burn the rainbow trail a bit.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #4198166 - 05/20/05 01:40 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

knife is an essential tool while travelling. get a folding knife.

--------------------

Offlineheadset
Stranger
    #4198172 - 05/20/05 01:42 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I pretty much always get really cool rides anyways, have had hairy rides where i thought i might go of the road or something.. but no one wanting to invade my space. We usually talk about spirituality..

not to say it'll be the same. My friend that told me to take the box cutter was female too. Things are ALOT harrier for chicks.

Offlineemptywisdom
simple being oflight
 User Gallery

Re: Say you were hitchhiking across the country... [Re: Shroomism]
    #4198180 - 05/20/05 01:43 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I like to cary a leatherman with a knife.

Not anything big. I try to keep the thought that I have it for practicall purpouses rather than as a means of defense. If I tried to use my leatherman knife in a fight It would probably cause more problems than help.

--------------------

Offlineheadset
Stranger
    #4198186 - 05/20/05 01:45 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

you guys ride trains?

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
    #4198196 - 05/20/05 01:48 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Good luck in your journeys bro. I truly hope you find what you are looking for. Much love and good vibes coming from this way. You will be in my prayers. :sun::heart::sun:

I don't have much experience hitchhiking cross country so I don't have too much advice for you. The only thing I can say is do for others what you wish them to do for you. As stated above karma plays a big role in the journey you are about to take.

As zippo said it would probably be in your best interest to have some form of protection on you. You don't necessarily need a knife. You have a good head on your shoulders. If you are ever in danger I'm sure you will figure out what you need to do. Anything around you can be used as a weapon. If you have anything heavy in sight or in your pocket take your sock off and stick it in your sock and that can become a weapon. Stay safe brother.

Other than that if you are in the US and decide to travel to NYState hit up a public library and PM me!! You are more than welcome to crash here at my parents house for a few days.

Take care of yourself and much love and good vibes.

:sun::heart::sun:

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #4198206 - 05/20/05 01:58 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I wouldn't even think to pull out a knife if confronted with violence. defend or run.

--------------------

Offlineemptywisdom
simple being oflight
 User Gallery

#4198208 - 05/20/05 01:59 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah they are, it's also alot easier to get a ride if you got a chick with you.

A box cutter would be fucking brutal. I guess if you were going to use something that would be a nice option because you could bust it out really quick, use it in close spaces if someone try any shit in a car, and with one heartfelt swipe you can cause some serious damage.

I've gotten more rides from gay men trying to get me to fuck them then I'd like to speak about, that's pretty much the most common pain in the ass I've encountered. On a few ocasions I've had people try to beat me up and/or take my stuff. One time I did get beat down pretty good, but I got out of there with my stuff. I've had my backpack stolen while I was asleep, but never lost anything to a ride.
Most the times rides are cool or at least not unpleasent, but if you go at it long enough you will run into some fucked up shit. Sometimes just strangley amuseing, sometimes sketchy or threatening. To my suprise, some of my most common rides have been from middle aged women who are just bored/lonly and want some company on thier drive. Most the time it's not too exciteing, except for the simple excitement of the experience itself and drama is rare, but it always finds a way to make it's prescence.

One thing i've never had but think would be great is a small mp3 player. It would make long waits soooooo much easier to stand.

My parents shit themselves at the thought of me hitchiking, so when I am and they know it I try to call every now and then to keep them sane. I have a phone card with a couple thousand minutes on it, and almost never talk on the phone for very long, It's gonna last me a hell of a long time. A phone card is a nice thing to have with you. It comes in handy sometimes.

--------------------

Offlineemptywisdom
simple being oflight
 User Gallery

Re: Say you were hitchhiking across the country... [Re: Shroomism]
    #4198225 - 05/20/05 02:06 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
I wouldn't even think to pull out a knife if confronted with violence. defend or run.

I always try to get out of there. I've only been confronted with aggression a few times, and besides one time have always been able to escape the scene without too much action. There are plenty situations I can imagine in which I would not be so fortunate, and the one time I did get beat It would'nt have mattered if I had a weapon or not really. Probably would have made things worse for me, actually.

it's probablly a good idea to have something, though.

Never done any train hopping.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder