Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Camping stuff
    #4190975 - 05/18/05 12:59 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

ok so as an extremely belated birthday/get out of jail/moving gift my dad is offering me a choice of what I really want/need

The choice is simple:
Laptop.. or camping gear

Now, I would really like a laptop. But I'm really going to need the camping gear, especially this summer.. and for the rest of time. I need a travel pack, tent, sleeping bag, etc.. good gear. If I was being practical I should get the camping gear, as I'm going to be doing tons of travelling/hitching this summer/fall.. going to various festivals and gatherings and whatnot. But I've been managing to survive gatherings and camping trips thus far without any fancy gear, although it would make things much more comfortable.

But I'm not always practical. A laptop is something I really desire, as I have been without a computer for so so long. Well ok.. a year. But too long. That way I can be sure I can keep in touch with friends/family, and of course shroomery, on the road. And is an invaluable tool especially when you are admin of two websites and mod another.

So it should be an easy decision.. but it's not for me. I need the camping gear, but I also need the laptop. They would each end up costing about the same. And I am one indecisive mofucka.. so I'll let a poll decide.
Which will it be?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (05/18/05 12:00 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTrainwreck
No. Really.

Loc: Southern California
Re: Help me make an important decision [Re: Shroomism]
    #4190990 - 05/18/05 01:02 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

You deleted my post because you fucked up on the poll?

:lol:

I vote for the laptop.

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
    #4190993 - 05/18/05 01:02 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Computers are crap.

It'll just end up braking in a year.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4190998 - 05/18/05 01:04 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Camping gear. Not only is it more practical, but you can get a shitload of good camping gear for the price of a laptop.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4191012 - 05/18/05 01:07 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

The longer you wait for a laptop, the cheaper they get, or better if you spend the same amount of money. To my knowledge, this isn't true for camping gear, and the camping gear is a much better investment, as it'll probably last you decades, while the laptop may last a few years.

Why do you need a laptop that badly if you have a computer anyway?

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Offlineummikko
sika joka eilenn? on pelkk?sika

Loc: Finland
    #4191018 - 05/18/05 01:08 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

A laptop will get stolen/break up on the road. Get the camping gear.

I can recommend you some gear if you want, just tell me what kinds of trips you're planning to make. Is it just gatherings&festivals or something else (backcountry? high altitude? extreme weather?)

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Help me make an important decision [Re: Trainwreck]
    #4191025 - 05/18/05 01:10 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

No I didnt delete your post I just moved it to the dump.. I screwed up the first poll :smile:

yeah you guys are pretty much echoing my inner thoughts.. camping gear would last longer and be much more practical. I wanted to see what others thought.

I don't have a computer right now. I'm using a friends.. right now I'm limited to public libraries or friend's houses for internet access.

--------------------

OfflineTadpole
Stranger

Re: Help me make an important decision [Re: Redstorm]
    #4191030 - 05/18/05 01:10 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Camping gear! :thumbup:

I understand your desire for a laptop, but in the end what will give you great experiences and memories? More hours in front of a computer or many great nights camping under the stars with good friends?

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#4191035 - 05/18/05 01:11 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Whats better camping under the satrz with a girly or talking to them on a computer? Camping gear is where its at. Its bes tto have what you need so you can be semi self sufficiant.

Offlineummikko

#4191054 - 05/18/05 01:15 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Besides, used laptops don't cost much -and you don't need anything special for browsing the web. Maybe get a cheap old laptop AND the camping gear? That way it won't matter as much if it breaks up/get lost/whatever.

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #4191057 - 05/18/05 01:16 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Seems like a nobrainer to me to get the camping gear, based on what I know of your personality.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Help me make an important decision [Re: ummikko]
    #4191072 - 05/18/05 01:19 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Well... mostly festivals and gatherings... but potentially, I could be doing some backcountry hiking/camping. Not any extreme weather, I don't forsee any anyway.. I will be mostly in the US, east and west, north and south.. maybe Canada. But I want to be prepared.. all out with like a 5,000+ CI internal frame pack.. a GOOD quality 2 man backpacking tent that will NOT leak and will last a while.. good boots.. water filter.. stove.. the works. Preferably lightweight stuff too. Are those 'can' type stoves any good?.. the really small.. one piece stoves that you use like rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol with? I wouldn't want to lug around fuel cans and constantly be buying new ones.. something simple that's easy to find fuel for. But the pack and the tent would be my main concerns.. I want to get good quality ones.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Help me make an important decision [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4191106 - 05/18/05 01:32 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

ok well you guys have talked some sense into me. I was just conflicted with myself but everything said makes sense.. I will need the gear, and a laptop would be impractical to drag around everywhere and expect it to hold out.. besides they just get cheaper and cheaper as time goes by. Thanks for the objective logic. Gear it is. Now I just have to decide what is the best gear for the price.

--------------------

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
    #4191111 - 05/18/05 01:35 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

My vote's for camping gear... it will last longer if you take care of it, while a laptop will be easily outdated in just 5 years. As far as using the internet, you can always hit up public libraries and friends' houses. Camping gear would probably be cheaper overall as well, leaving you extra cash for travelling and food expenses.

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

Male

Re: Help me make an important decision [Re: Adamist]
    #4191115 - 05/18/05 01:36 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
and a laptop would be impractical to drag around everywhere and expect it to hold out.. 

Well, I just got a G4 Powerbook and along with it I bought a 70 dollar Brooklyn Industries bag that has a padded special laptop compartment. It's tits. :thumbup:

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: Help me make an important decision [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4191118 - 05/18/05 01:39 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Don't tempt him.

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

Male

#4191122 - 05/18/05 01:40 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

:lol:

--------------------

-Erik Davis

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #4191143 - 05/18/05 01:45 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Impeccable logic my good man  :thumbup:
But laptop outdated in 5 years? shoot.. try 6 months or a year the way things are moving. It wasn't too long ago that P3s with 256 mb of ram were the shit. Now they are shit. And I almost forgot the travelling and food expenses :blush:

--------------------

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

Loc: under the Amanita
    #4191148 - 05/18/05 01:47 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

If you are not going to any xtreme weather conditions/climate, don't buy the gear, you will just end up carrying tons of stuff wherever you go, which will just sit in a attic the rest of the year.

The laptop will be always there, usefull all the time.

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

"if you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." - timothy leary"
Anno: "-I can do anything with those clouds!"
Annos Tek

Offlineummikko

#4191153 - 05/18/05 01:48 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, this might become a lenghty post so I'll split it up. Water filters:

There's a wide selection of water filters available, but still only one of them meets the demands for the EPA Guide Standard for Microbiological Purification against bacteria, cysts and viruses -The First Need Deluxe water purifier made by General Ecology.

However, this model has one, big drawback: the filter module is non-cleanable. Which means that once it gets clogged you need a replacement, and you might not always have one at hand. Also, the filter is slow to use.

I've been using the next best(in terms of filtration efficiency) model myself:
The MSR WaterWorks (actually I have the Miniworks but it's basically the same). It won't filter some of the smallest viruses but it makes
clear, odor-free water that has never gotten me sick.

This model is totally cleanable and very easy to maintain, lightweight and pretty fast to use (a liter of water in a few of minutes). There's a gauge that tells you when to replace the ceramic cartritge inside. Plus, it fits directly into wide-mouth nalgene bottles!

I have no personal experience of any other model, but, as said -these to were the best in terms of microbiological filtration. If you want to be sure, use water purification tablets in addition when taking water from bad sources.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder