Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Newsweek disavows Koran desecration report that led to riots
    #4178783 - 05/15/05 03:03 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Newsweek reported that an anonymous government official confirmed Koran desecration as an interrogation tactic at Gitmo. There were riots in several Islamic countries that resulted in several killings. Here's the link to what they say now, according to Reuters, no friend of Bush or America
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArti...AN-NEWSWEEK.xml
I want the source outed by Newsweek and I want them both to share in the reparations to be paid to the families of the deceased and wounded. Don't think an irresponsible press is dangerous? Think again. This constant and disgusting reliance on anonymous sources, especially among supposedly responsible journalism outlets, has now become almost criminal. And lying sources should absolutely be outed. Why anybody thinks that they should have any protection is beyond me. The rationale usually spouted that people will only talk to us anonymously and we need it to gather information, "for the public good," has now completely and inevitably reached its murderous conclusion. The press does not have an obligation to present a story. They have an obligation to present an ACCURATE story. I'm frankly not interested in their "honest mistake" argument either. They have been warned and warned and warned. The time has come for criminal prosecution and reparations. You can be prosecuted for shouting fire in a crowded theater and now there are deaths. I hope there are people puking in fear at Newsweek and I hope there are highly placed.

(If anyone knows how to paste this link they should do it soon because I think it may be gone tomorrow)

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Newsweek disavows Koran desecration report that led to riots [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4178856 - 05/15/05 03:23 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Its kind of sick if you think about it. The reason why these types of stories are rushed to print is because they know the response they will get. The desire to get the "big story" has totally eclipsed any notion of responsibility in the press.

They look at it like gambling. The bigger risk they take, the bigger the payout if it proves to be true. The problem is they don't have the appropriate reprecussions if a story like this turns out false so there is no reason to not print it.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Newsweek disavows Koran desecration report that led to riots [Re: Catalysis]
    #4178912 - 05/15/05 03:38 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

And now there are dead people

--------------------

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Newsweek disavows Koran desecration report that led to riots [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4178936 - 05/15/05 03:46 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

The irony is that muslims around the world are getting their information from newsweek. It makes me wonder if they give this much credibility to stories that put the US in a positive light...of course, that is a rhetorical question. My point being that at least a portion of the responsibility lies with the reader.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Newsweek disavows Koran desecration report that led to riots [Re: Catalysis]
    #4178965 - 05/15/05 03:55 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

And you have to give them some measure of credit for not believing the same shit previously reported by al Jazeera and alleged by several released detainees. They only went truly nuts when Newsweek ascribed the report to an anonymous US government official. That is why I want the guy outed. And then pilloried.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #4179212 - 05/15/05 05:08 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Here's the contents, cut and pasted in their entirety, zap:

Newsweek says erred in Koran desecration report
Sun May 15, 2005 9:03 PM BST

By David Morgan

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Newsweek magazine on Sunday said it erred in a May 9 report that said U.S. interrogators desecrated the Koran at Guantanamo Bay, and apologized to the victims of deadly Muslim protests sparked by the article.

"We regret that we got any part of our story wrong, and extend our sympathies to victims of the violence and to the U.S. soldiers caught in its midst," Editor Mark Whitaker wrote in the magazine's latest issue, due to appear on U.S. newsstands on Monday.

Whitaker said the magazine inaccurately reported that U.S. military investigators had confirmed that personnel at the detention facility in Cuba had flushed the Koran down the toilet.

The report sparked angry and violent protests across the Muslim world from Afghanistan, where 16 were killed and more than 100 injured, to Pakistan to Indonesia to Gaza. In the past week it was condemned in Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh, Malaysia and by the Arab League. On Sunday, Afghan Muslim clerics threatened to call for a holy war against the United States.

The weekly news magazine said in its May 23 edition that the information had come from a "knowledgeable government source" who told Newsweek that a military report on abuse at Guantanamo Bay said interrogators flushed at least one copy of the Koran down a toilet in a bid to make detainees talk.

But Newsweek said the source later told the magazine he could not be certain he had seen an account of the Koran incident in the military report and that it might have been in other investigative documents or drafts.

The acknowledgment by the magazine came amid a continuing heightened scrutiny of the U.S. media, which has seen a rash of news organizations fire reporters and admit that stories were fabricated or plagiarized.

The Pentagon told the magazine the report was wrong last Friday, saying it had investigated earlier allegations of Koran desecration from detainees and found them "not credible."

The May 9 report, which appeared as a brief item by Michael Isikoff and John Barry in the magazine's "Periscope" section, had a huge international impact, sparking the protests from Muslims who consider the Koran the literal word of God and treat each book with deep reverence.

Desecration of the Koran is punishable by death in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

U.S. officials opened an investigation but maintained that members of the Guantanamo security force were sensitive to the religious beliefs and practices of the detainees in U.S. custody.

U.S. national security adviser Stephen Hadley earlier on Sunday stressed the report had not been confirmed. "First of all, we don't know that it's true," Hadley said on CNN's "Late Edition."

"We've heard these reports before -- if it turns out to be true, obviously we will take action against those responsible," he said.

In January, British prisoners released from Guantanamo said guards threw their Korans into toilets and tried to force them to give up their faith. Human rights lawyer Tom Wilner, who represents several Kuwaiti prisoners at Guantanamo, said in February that his clients told him their Korans were thrown on the floor, stepped on and thrown into toilets at Guantanamo.

Newsweek's Whitaker said that when the magazine first heard of the Koran allegation from its source, staff approached two Defense Department officials. One declined to comment, while the other challenged a different aspect of the May 9 story but did not dispute the Koran charge.

The magazine said other news organizations had already aired charges of Koran desecration based "only on the testimony of detainees."

"We believed our story was newsworthy because a U.S. official said government investigators turned up this evidence. So we published the item," Whitaker said.

"Our original source later said he couldn't be certain about reading of the alleged Koran incident in the report we cited," he wrote.

You have every right to be outraged, zap. The following is from Little Green Footballs --

"Newsweek?s Evan Thomas tries to put a Band-Aid on their credibility, with a non-apology for their use of an anonymous source in the ?Quran desecration? story: How a Fire Broke Out. (Hat tip: Roger L. Simon.)

"Part of Newsweek?s defense involves the word of released jihadis, who seem to be more credible to Newsweek than the Pentagon:

Quote:

NEWSWEEK was not the first to report allegations of desecrating the Qur?an. As early as last spring and summer, similar reports from released detainees started surfacing in British and Russian news reports, and in the Arab news agency Al-Jazeera; claims by other released detainees have been covered in other media since then.

"Contrast this uncritical citation of reports from prisoners trained to exaggerate and lie about the circumstances of their detention with Newsweek?s obviously skeptical reading of the Pentagon?s statements:

Quote:

After the rioting began last week, the Pentagon attempted to determine the veracity of the NEWSWEEK story. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Richard Myers told reporters that so far no allegations had been proven. He did appear to cryptically refer to two mentions found in the logs of prison guards in Gitmo: a report that a detainee had used pages of the Qur?an to stop up a crude toilet as a form of protest, and a complaint from a detainee that a prison guard had knocked down a Qur?an hanging in a bag in his cell.

On Friday night, Pentagon spokesman DiRita called NEWSWEEK to complain about the original PERISCOPE item. He said, ?We pursue all credible allegations? of prisoner abuse, but insisted that the investigators had found none involving Qur?an desecration. DiRita sent NEWSWEEK a copy of rules issued to the guards (after the incidents mentioned by General Myers) to guarantee respect for Islamic worship. On Saturday, Isikoff spoke to his original source, the senior government official, who said that he clearly recalled reading investigative reports about mishandling the Qur?an, including a toilet incident. But the official, still speaking anonymously, could no longer be sure that these concerns had surfaced in the SouthCom report. Told of what the NEWSWEEK source said, DiRita exploded, ?People are dead because of what this son of a bitch said. How could he be credible now??

Indeed.

Phred's thoughts on the matter --

This is yet another example of the lengths to which the MSM will stoop. They have long abandoned even the tiniest semblance of objectivity. Anything will do if it makes Bush look bad. Any source is treated as gospel if what he is saying could throw the Bush administration in a bad light. It doesn't matter if the charges are ludicrous on the face of it, if the source has zero credibility, if there is no confirmation or even the most casual second-sourcing -- if there's a chance it might make Bush look bad, then the public just has to know. Even Tricky Dick Nixon and Henry Kissinger didn't have to face this level of partisan hackery.

And this stuff goes on all the time -- every freaking day. Check this headline from CBS on a story about the Islamist riots in Uzbekistan:

US Ally Fires On Its People" http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/05/14/world/main695223.shtml

Because after all, that is the kind of thing that US allies do, isn?t it?

Jesus wept! This is a headline from a freaking American news agency -- albeit the same news agency responsible for RatherGate.

Strangely, I don't remember seeing any CBS headline such as "US Ally Fires on Innocent Civilians in Republic of Ivory Coast" a few months ago. Or barely any mention of the situation at all, for that matter.

Uzbekistan is of course also an ally of Russia, Turkey, and China. Also a member of the UN.

And of course the body of the story -- a jailbreak resulting in the release of 2000 criminals who then attacked a government installation -- has absolutely no relevance whatsoever to Uzbekistan's status as an ally of anyone.

This is Michael Mooreism writ large.

Phred

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #4179262 - 05/15/05 05:31 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I'll bet you anything that it's true, only no one with any first hand knowledge is going to own up to talking. And don't act like it's not out of the realm of possiblity. Considering the sick shit we've seen in these pictures, I can definitely see them doing this.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Newsweek disavows Koran desecration report that led to riots [Re: Learyfan]
    #4179289 - 05/15/05 05:40 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

See thats exactly the problem. You support printing anything thats in the "realm of possibility" as truth as long as it furthers your agenda, regardless of the consequences.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#4179637 - 05/15/05 07:11 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I want this fuck's name, job and head. I mean the source. He is a government employee, supposed to do the bidding of the elected government and to follow the rules of said government employment. This is why we can't have fucking wingnuts willy nilly talking to the press. Enough is enough. And then Isikof's and Thomas's. They can keep their heads but their jobs are forfeit. This is an ongoing problem in the press and they have no clue that it is even a problem. In the NY Times Week in Review section today there was another bout of letters regarding anonymous sources. The first letter cited Woodward and Bernstein in re Watergate. But those guys only used Deep Throat for direction and background, he was never cited, and they always got confirmation elsewhere.

(Phred, thanks much for the paste job. I don't know how to do it. If it's fairly simple would you please tell me how)

--------------------

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
    #4179652 - 05/15/05 07:15 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Freedom of the press. Newsweek can print anythign they want. Grocery store tabloids can print that a three headed baby was born every day for all I care. Now newsweek is less credible. Good. I hope less people buy this infotainment trash now. I doubt it, though. This shit is sick but hardly new or confined to newsweek.

Only 16 people died over the protests. 16! This hardly is an outrage in respect to the innumerable times the government has cited an anomonyous source to justify any of our tax funded death. (ya ever hear about those mobile bio labs? They are comin' to git ya!) I've never heard you bitch about that before. You buy THAT irresponsible crap b/c you want to just like these muslims bought the koran flushing story because they wanted to.

I should start calling you zappisallah due to the similarities you hold with the muslim world.

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Newsweek disavows Koran desecration report that led to riots [Re: DirtMcgirt]
    #4179738 - 05/15/05 07:39 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Dear Dirt: I personally have always maintained that this war was justified simply because Saddass invaded Kuwait, got kicked out (meanwhile setting every oil well on his retreat route afire) and accepted a term of surrender that required unlimited inspections, which he failed to honor. You can argue with me all you want about whether that is sufficient justification but neither I (nor Bush) relied exclusively (or in my case at all) on any WMD stuff. Fortunately, people of your ilk are out of power. Unfortunately, people of your ilk run the press.

When you make your business out of DESCRIBING what people actually DO you start to think that the descrption is more important than the action. This is never good. This time a false DESCRIPTION led to some deaths.

--------------------

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

#4179901 - 05/15/05 08:12 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Your reason for invading Iraq was not ever the administrations (or the one they put out). I would agree with you that the job should have been finished the 1st time. Many others probably do too and the info the administration gave out (backed by Anomynous sources) before invasion was carried by wishful thinking by the pro-invade public. The leader in anonymous source usage is and has always been the government. Security does explain this to a degree but more often than not this is a cop-out by gov officials so they can say whatever the hell they want to promote whatever the hell they want. I find it ironic you are so outraged in this instance when a private entity does it.

Anomynous sources are the same as "unbackable sources." People should know this but they don't. I can start a paper dedicated to telling the world how GWB likes to eat dead babies on top of a pile of burned bibles but without a credible source nobody will pay attention and nobody will start killing anybody.

This kinda things isn't good, I agree, but this isn't the first time deaths have occurred because of it. I see no way of holding anybody accountable for this or other instances beyond firing the assholes who published it. Noting more can be done without infringing on one of the most important rights that we have. Unless you prefer a gov controlled press.

Quote:

This time a false DESCRIPTION led to some deaths.

Don't the anti-American fanatics in these countries who actually did the killing hold any responsibility? They were itching to spill blood and this was little less than an excuse.

Quote:

Unfortunately, people of your ilk run the press.

Your ilk OWN the press. They make their livelihood by it. They promote this kind of thing just as much as the libs who may or may not be doing the investigating to save their paycheck from their corporate masters. Blame lies on the whole industry not any ideology b/c both are to blame for this kind of crap.

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#4179929 - 05/15/05 08:24 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Catalysis said:
See thats exactly the problem. You support printing anything thats in the "realm of possibility" as truth as long as it furthers your agenda, regardless of the consequences.

I'm not saying that I support printing uncited sources. I'm just saying that I believe that it could have easily happened. It's against the Muslim religion for naked men to be stacked on top of each other.

--------------------

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Loc: Chocolate City
    #4179990 - 05/15/05 08:38 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Why is it.. if one person flushes pages of the koran down the toilet.. the whole world protests against the united states as a whole and shit hits the fan.. ppl kill one another... burn everything in site

But if there was an incident with the visa versa... and a christian protested a muslim burning a bible.. that christian would be seen as 'insensitive'?

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Re: Newsweek disavows Koran desecration report that led to riots [Re: BrAiN]
    #4180048 - 05/15/05 08:49 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

If the government of turkey burned bibles as a practice I don't think anybody would be calling christians insensitive for protesting....except those goddamn, pinkio, commie, faggot, bleeding heart, liberals of course

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Newsweek disavows Koran desecration report that led to riots [Re: DirtMcgirt]
    #4180102 - 05/15/05 08:58 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

DirtMcgirt said:
If the government of turkey burned bibles as a practice I don't think anybody would be calling christians insensitive for protesting....except those goddamn, pinkio, commie, faggot, bleeding heart, liberals of course

Nobody would protest.  :rolleyes:

--------------------

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

#4180135 - 05/15/05 09:04 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I was being sarcastic. I'm about as leftist as anybody on this board.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#4180191 - 05/15/05 09:15 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Oh ok, carry on.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #4180287 - 05/15/05 09:40 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Newsweek disavows Koran desecration report that led to riots [Re: Phred]
    #4180314 - 05/15/05 09:49 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

:mad2:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates