Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinededhead
Stranger

Help !!!! A few Newbie Questions
    #415918 - 10/06/01 05:18 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I'm a first time grower, and have a few questions.
I'm following the PF Tek. The jars will be in the tetarium for now since it's not in use. The sides and top are blocked so no light can get it. Temp at 80-85. Substrate is BRF in half of the jars and Rye flour in the rest of the jars. My first attemp at it was a failure, due to either packing the substrate too tightly or the rice I used was not organic. Both problems have been resolved. There were no signs of colonization after almost two weeks. So I'm giving it another try. I will be nnoculating tonite.

The Questions I have:

1. During colonization, if the jars are in a "box" do I need to worry about air exchange in the box, i.e. fanning the box daily or anything? Should I have the lids on loose or tight? Tape on or off?

2. I was thinking of using the perlite humidification tek. One thing i was unclear on. Do I still need the mist shield?

3. Another question popped into my head reading another post. Would it be alright to "wrap" the jars, not the lids. To keep the light out? I could then leave the tetarium lid off. How dark exactly does it have to be? Extremely dark or can some light peak in if I crack the tetrarium lid?

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by dedhead on 10/06/01 04:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Edited by dedhead on 10/06/01 05:37 PM.

--------------------
[yy] "To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. " [yy]

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OnlinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: A few Newbie Questions [Re: dedhead]
    #415925 - 10/06/01 05:25 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

if your jars are in an air-tight box then that's no good because the mycelium needs oxygen to grow. Just leave the lids on and leave the tape off of the holes and that should allow enough air to get in.

i've never done perlite and don't remember what the hell the tek said... but if you're not going to be using a sprayer then you wouldn't need the mist shield - the mist shield is just to keep large droplets of water from damaging the mycelium. if you are still spraying with a hand sprayer in the setup, then keep the shield.

? ? ? -????? O ?????-? ? ? ?
Weed Legalization Freedom Fighter
? ? ? -????? O ?????-? ? ? ?
? ??? long live the shroomery ??? ?

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Offlinededhead
Stranger

Re: A few Newbie Questions [Re: geokills]
    #416094 - 10/06/01 08:58 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I read somewhere that mycelium doesn't need any outside oxygen to grow. CO2 is a problem because of smothering. Anyone know if this is true?? If that's the case then all I would need to do is get a filterdisk or cotten w/ alcohol. If I use swabs w/ alcohol how often do I replace it or rewet it??

Thanks,

Mike

--------------------
[yy] "To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. " [yy]

Anonymous

Re: A few Newbie Questions [Re: dedhead]
    #416207 - 10/07/01 12:37 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Post Deleted a la Obscurity

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
Re: Help !!!! A few Newbie Questions [Re: dedhead]
    #416230 - 10/07/01 01:09 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

1. no at least not initially. the myceilum do not in fact require outside oxygen to grow or survive. they can live in a compleatly sealed jar. HOWEVER, they eventually start to produce a considerable amount of CO2 which will eventually inhibit growth. the first week or so, they will be just fine as you have outlined. simply opening the lid of the terrarium once a week will let in sufficient air. lids tight at first, then loosen. if you see signs of too much moisture, loosen lid and invert the jar, which is what you will do later anyway, since it lets the CO2 out. tape on. as you progress, you may choose to omit the entire holes in the lid shit. it is entirely for sterile proceedure and nothing else, despite what others say. the holes in the lid get to be just about as much contam risk as inoculating with the lid off. go with holes first time though. stick to the published proceedure.

2. fuck the mist shield. put your cakes into a semitranslucent rubbermaid, and forget all about the "poor mans" very fucking expensive terrarium. perlite on the bottom, yes.

3. in the original Pf tek, it is suggested that incubation need be done in total darkness, which emulates nature, some but not really, since turds are out in the light in a pasture. in my neighbor's cat's experiance, it is entirely unimportant to keep out light if you have decent colonization times, like less that 3 weeks. even then it doesn't really stop you from getting a crop, so don't worry. yes you can wrap just the jar.

Edited by tchyted on 10/07/01 12:12 AM.

Offlinededhead
Stranger

Re: Help !!!! A few Newbie Questions [Re: tchyted]
    #416569 - 10/07/01 09:01 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the input. Very helpful. Thanks Guys.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation