Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleDark_Star
dick butterfly
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Under the Grecian fog
I thought this was pretty funny.
    #4158848 - 05/10/05 08:39 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Jesus Christ in Legal Battle in W.Va. By ERIK SCHELZIG, Associated Press Writer
Tue May 10, 6:51 AM ET

CHARLESTON, W.Va. - Even Jesus Christ can't circumvent the rules for getting a driver's license in West Virginia.
Attempts to prove his name really is Christ have led the man born as Peter Robert Phillips Jr. through a lengthy legal battle and a recent victory in the District of Columbia Court of Appeals.

"This all started with him expressing his faith and his respect and love for Jesus Christ," attorney A.P. Pishevar told The Associated Press. "Now he needs to document it for legal reasons."

Described by his attorney as a white-haired businessman in his mid-50s, Christ is moving to West Virginia to enjoy a slower lifestyle. He bought property near Lost River, about 100 miles west of Washington, and has a U.S. passport,    Social Security card and Washington driver's license bearing the name Jesus Christ.

But he still falls short of West Virginia title and license transfer requirements because his Florida birth certificate has his original name on it and he has been unable to obtain an official name change in Washington.

"We just need official documentation that that's his name," said Doug Stump, commissioner of the West Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles. "He will be treated no different than anybody else."

Christ applied for the legal name change in May 2003, but it was denied by District of Columbia Superior Court Judge Tim Murphy because "taking the name of Jesus Christ may provoke a violent reaction or may significantly offend people."

In his appeal, Christ's attorney argued that Phillips had changed his name to Jesus Christ 15 years earlier, and "has been using the name since then without incident."

The appeals court last month sent the name-change proposal back to the lower court, saying some required hearings in the case had not been held.

Any comment from the man in the middle of this legal tussle?

"Christ is not speaking to the press at this time," Pishevar said.

:lol: :lol: :lol: That last part is hilarious.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: I thought this was pretty funny. [Re: Dark_Star]
    #4159303 - 05/10/05 10:10 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

lol, it's amazing how something as simple as a name can have such profound repercussions.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#4159323 - 05/10/05 10:13 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Eh, I guess it's funny. I just find it sad that someone would change their name to reflect a fairy tale. I've never met a Jack Horner, or Mother Goose, or Santa Claus.

InvisibleDark_Star
dick butterfly
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Under the Grecian fog
Re: I thought this was pretty funny. [Re: DNKYD]
    #4159382 - 05/10/05 10:23 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah...the story itself is kind of odd and kind of sad. It's that last line that I found so amusing; "Any comment from the man in the middle of this legal tussle?

"Christ is not speaking to the press at this time," Pishevar said."

--------------------

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

#4159394 - 05/10/05 10:26 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Just goes to show that everyone's got something to bitch about. People are too damned pc. I, myself find it pretty funny. Brought a smile to my face. And I would like to meet Mr. Christ and perhaps shake his hand. :wexican:

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

OfflineTheSlapnCapn
Slappin' thangs.
Male User Gallery

Loc: zee mountain state
Re: I thought this was pretty funny. [Re: browndustin]
    #4159659 - 05/10/05 11:47 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

yeah that's awesome... i live in west virginia... maybe i'll run into the J-man sometime...

-j

--------------------
I promise to live, love, exist, and be, and hope that all life will love to be in existence with me. Also, fuck you.

-j

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: I thought this was pretty funny. [Re: DNKYD]
    #4160808 - 05/11/05 07:23 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

You should check out the white pages...one day I found an Inspector Gadget, Betty Boop, and Father Time.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

Offlinehollandstulips
dutchess

Re: I thought this was pretty funny. [Re: dblaney]
    #4161096 - 05/11/05 10:42 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

i thought this was funny, however, my roommate had different feelings about this. she thought that he should not be allowed to change his name and when i asked her why she said- because. oh really? just because? she had no good answer. she said that his guy shouldn't be allowed to b/c he just wanted people all over the world to be praying to him. well, i think that if you are going to pray to someone/thing then you should know that what you are praying to is an entity, not just a name. she tried to rebut by playing on my heart strings- what if he wanted to name himself mahatma gandhi? or buddha? fine by me!!! i think that you can call yourself what ever the fuck you want. names mean nothing.

--------------------
"Those who shun whimsy of all things will experience rigor mortis before death" t. robbins

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub