Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
Loc: Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.
Re: buying land in west virginia? [Re: wizeoldgnome]
    #1075265 - 11/21/02 09:58 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

We are all at different levels of preparedness. I'm happy to see more people who take this seriously. It's the new frontier --I mean getting away from the cookie-cutter industrialized society we are now in. Growing our own, becoming self-sufficient, revitalizing our relationship with the planet --these are life-long ambitions. It's gonna be the main focus of my life from here on out. I enjoy it. It's fun. I hope that didn't sound gay. Good luck to you wizeoldgnome. I hope you keep us posted.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewizeoldgnome
explorer
Re: buying land in west virginia? [Re: frogsheath]
    #1079217 - 11/23/02 11:36 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

nah, it didnt sound gay. i feel the same way. it is crazy how distracting life is for most people. it took me a while to realize that forming a relationship with nature and yourself is what is important and not making the most money as possible. the sad thing is that some people are so distracted that they are sucked in for life, but i guess that is good for them too. who knows.

Offlinenicene
milkman

Loc: NC
    #1092020 - 11/27/02 07:24 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I'm not trolling or anything, but I seriously think you guys are forgetting/ignoring what modern civilization and cities have to offer. Escaping to a west viginia house to live in the mountains sounds like a very idyllic and inspiring thought. But you forget that there's a lot of time to fill in between rocking in a chair on the porch to view a stunning sunset.

Life is generally harder when having to completely provide for yourself. You and your girl will have to work more to sustain yourselves will all of life's necesities. Life's amenities will generally be out of your reach. Unless of course you or your wife are already independently wealthy.

However finding another job to support yourself in a small town can be even more rewarding if it's just quiet that you seek. Get a job in a sleepy moutain town that is close to a nice sized city. You can have the best of both worlds. For instance, Charleston is a nice small sized city situated in a hazy valley. The mountain towns surrounding Charleston have so much character, that you would be a fool to seek out solitude in the w.va mountains.

Sometimes with societies' ills, we forget what good things that 21st century civilization has to offer.

Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
Re: buying land in west virginia? [Re: nicene]
    #1094616 - 11/28/02 07:34 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Sure it will be tough.  It will build character.  :grin:  What do you mean "life's amenities"?  Electricity?  Plumbing?  That is the biggest challenge to me.  I dunno how I'm gonna do that.  :confused:  :grin: 

Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
    #1094625 - 11/28/02 07:39 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I will miss hot showers. :frown: 

Invisiblepuppyeater
I eat puppies

Loc: In my own little corner, ...
    #1096300 - 11/29/02 03:06 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

since when is west virginia without that. Why couldn't you have hot water and electricity? I'm sure they have water and power companies out there. You could live in a little town and still have all the comforts of a home in the city. well, minus the traffic and noise. Sounds great to me

Offlinewizeoldgnome
explorer
    #1096352 - 11/29/02 03:30 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

i've been in baltimore for the last five years. i cant wait to fill the time between rocking in my chair. :grin:

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #1096660 - 11/29/02 05:42 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I had a boss who lived off the grid and he worked for the state as an environmental engineer...

He bought some really nice land with a friend and they build their houses up on their...

The house is beautifull and its on GREAT land, its got HUGE windows all over to maximize light.

He has a diesel generator that he runs for two hours every night (costs about $6) and it charges 10 deep cell golf cart bateries and he uses solar panels which charge two bateries used to run his heating system, refrigerator and other things that are always on.

Hes got a large wrap around deck with a big redwood spa and a bar outside and a natural 5 teer septic system which cleans his waste by using gravity to filter it through 5 layers of rock and sand.

Propane takes care of everything else...

He did get into trouble a while back after he stole some solar panels from highway call boxes to heat his hot tub and power his patio bar lights....

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #1096667 - 11/29/02 05:44 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

If your serious about raising animals you cant go wrong with cows... You need some serrious land but cows take care of themselvs and when you butcher one it can provide you with meat for an entire year...

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
Re: buying land in west virginia? [Re: GabbaDj]
    #1103239 - 12/02/02 05:17 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Sounds nice. Life is too complicated nowadays. We're (most of us) too dependent on modern infrastructure to survive. Take away the infrastructure and most of us are helpless. I don't think cutting myself off from amenities would degrade my life. I think it would improve it.

Offlinewizeoldgnome
explorer
    #1110663 - 12/04/02 04:41 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

any of you older folks taken out a loan for a house?

Offlinevegansoup
Stranger
Female
Loc: ohio
    #1116933 - 12/06/02 11:05 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I have always wanted to live commune. I have access to almost 100 acres in kentucky.. It would be pretty sweet. It's my parents, so some point I am gonna buy it from them with perhaps help from friends. I am totally unprepared for what living there would take though... off the land and whatnot... then again... I think it might be awfully close to some cities.. I haven't been there for maybe 6 or more years. yeah, that's it.
hey my first post :laugh: 

InvisibleLeft Nut City
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #1117017 - 12/06/02 11:31 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

OfflineLoverofEarth
spirit on ajourney

Loc: the in-between
Re: buying land in west virginia? [Re: Left Nut City]
    #1132293 - 12/11/02 10:25 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I've just started a forum for this topic as it always gets brushed aside and forgotten here. Share your off the grid, self sufficient living plans, and (most importanty) town ideas here. I've read many posts on these subjects but perhaps with a little organization something good could happen.

Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
Re: buying land in west virginia? [Re: LoverofEarth]
    #1133875 - 12/11/02 10:40 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I'm gonna check out your project.  I like the illustration.  :smile:  As for my plan:
I just got the idea to make this my life's goal a few months ago.  I've always been interested in Nature and the wilderness --ever since I could catch bugs and toads  :laugh:  :grin:. I have minimal outdoors experience but it is more than a hobby with me.  I'm getting more experience daily --I forage for herbs.  But my plan as of now is to continue reading and foraging, and paring down a lot of wasteful habits, and especially practicing self-sufficiency in everything i do as I glean more info from my studies.  While I do I will be saving up for that big day when I buy some land and set up the homestead. 
Not much to share yet but I'm glad you're setting up this forum. Glad to meet you.  :cool: 

OfflineLoverofEarth
spirit on ajourney

Loc: the in-between
    #1143371 - 12/15/02 01:04 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Sounds good, self preparation will make the transition smoothe. Going from watching the boob tube several hours a night to having no television at all would probably drive some people mad. Just an example, lets hope you don't watch that much tv :wink: Nice to meet you too.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order