Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebabyshroom
addict
Loc: Florida
Ramsey Seal - Differences in Fruiting?
    #413455 - 10/04/01 10:27 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I just followed a link provided by Jebus and found info on the Ramsey seal - this involves placing tinfoil in between your substrate and your final layer of dry vermiculite in your 1/2 pint jars, prior to sterilization. I have previously just dumped my dry right on top of my wet. I've had no trouble with contams, and I'm sure I would have less than none with this tek.
My questions is whether or not there is any difference in the fruiting abilities of the cakes from one method to the other. I have seen pics of cakes where they look all nice and fluffy white on both ends, and wondered whether people were scraping the vermiculite layer off. Have meant to ask about that, but never got around to it. Now I realize that they may have been using this tek, which would seperate the dry vermiculite from the cake at the onset. Has anyone tried it both ways? If so, did you notice any appreciable difference in the fruiting abilities?
I think the tinfoil might make packing the jars a bit more tedious, especially trying to get that foil right up on the jar without tearing it when putting the caps on. It's worth the extra time and effort, though, if it brings on more goodies.
In my dreams...
Info on the Ramsey seal was found ont he page below:
http://www.shroomery.org/scgt/SCGTv0.5.html

Support the Free Spore Ring

--------------------
I don't really know anyone who grows mushrooms. I just come here for fun.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedarkfly
LysergicExperimenter

Re: Ramsey Seal - Differences in Fruiting? [Re: babyshroom]
    #413491 - 10/04/01 11:33 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

If you arent having any problems with not using a ramsey seal, dont fix it if its not broke I say. I have never used a ramsey seal and up until recently didnt even use a dry verm layer at all and have never had contamination problems. If you want to be extra safe I recommend purchasing some filter discs from micron magick and use those in place of your jar lids, you can use them with or without a dry verm layer.

darkfly
-- If this is sight, I would rather be blind.

--------------------
Everything Is Blue In This World. The Deepest Shade Of Mushroom Blue.

Offlinebabyshroom
addict
Loc: Florida
Re: Ramsey Seal - Differences in Fruiting? [Re: darkfly]
    #413598 - 10/04/01 01:05 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Good idea, I actually did order some recently. Haven't used any yet, but I will on the next batch. I don't know why, but those pretty little all-white cakes look nicer than my white and brown ones.
In my dreams...

Support the Free Spore Ring

--------------------
I don't really know anyone who grows mushrooms. I just come here for fun.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation