Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Herb Grinder

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleUrb
poor white trash
Male User Gallery

Loc: WhoDat Nation
Fahrenheit 911
    #4117901 - 05/01/05 08:51 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Has anyone seen this show? Me & my politically inept brother were having a debate about what actually happened on 911.
We couldn't find any common ground & he downloaded this program to back up what he was trying to get across.
After watching it for a little while , I came to the conclusion that it was purely Democratic propaganda. The narrator had a sarcastic voice and was clearly biased. I believe that quite a bit of the comments were taken out of context.
What really got me was when they pasted the faces of Bush & his cabinet onto horse riding gun slingers. Am I supposed to take this program as a legitimate documentary? Does anyone else have a take on this subject?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Re: Fahrenheit 911 [Re: Urb]
    #4117910 - 05/01/05 08:57 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

It's utter horseshit. I wish someone would toss Micheal Moore into a meat grinder.

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

InvisibleUrb
poor white trash
Male User Gallery

Re: Fahrenheit 911 [Re: SoopaX]
    #4117920 - 05/01/05 09:02 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

SoopaX said:
It's utter horseshit. I wish someone would toss Micheal Moore into a meat grinder.

Was that the narrator?

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#4118049 - 05/01/05 10:19 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

SoopaX said:

Usually, when someone reacts to something in such a manner, it means that their ego is feeling attacked in a way. "Truth hurts".

If a person tells me that this other dude is a stupid fag, I will most certainly not take his words as truth and i will find out about this dude for myself.

Personally, I'm glad someone other than non-Americans finally has the balls to criticize the American system and the Bush administration. But some people prefer that the truth not be told, probably for personal interests.

OfflineRetired
Re: Fahrenheit 911 [Re: exclusive58]
    #4118060 - 05/01/05 10:24 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

bah micheal moore is a waste

i dont care if he has ball to criticize america he goes about it all wrong. he is another one sided democrat...and im not republican i just hate micheal moore

InvisibleUrb
poor white trash
Male User Gallery

#4118063 - 05/01/05 10:25 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

The question I was trying to get at , was the viability of the statements made in the program.
The narrator was obviously biased & I felt more like I was watching SNL than a political documentary.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #4118104 - 05/01/05 10:46 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Try this from Christopher Hitchens
http://slate.msn.com/id/2102723/

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #4118135 - 05/01/05 11:03 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Michael Moore is the most adept film propagandist since Leni Riefenstahl. Fahrenheit 911 is a mass of distortions, twists, slanting, and in a few cases outright fabrication. It is by no means a documentary, and it has been widely dissected and exposed on numerous websites.

Someone watching it who had no prior background on the points being discussed could easily be swayed by it, but anyone even moderately familiar with the subject matter would come to the same conclusion you did, Urb... the guy was trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the audience. Some parts were fairly slickly done, but other parts so clumsily handled that it would take a very naive person to miss what was going on.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Loc: Chocolate City
Re: Fahrenheit 911 [Re: Phred]
    #4118257 - 05/01/05 12:11 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I USED to like michael Moore. Bowling for Columbie was probably the last good piece he ever did. ROger and ME was even better. Then he turned from a descent documentary filmmaker who uncovered corporate scandal to just baashing Bush without knowing enough information. He made it seem like when Bush flew the bin Laden's back home after 9-11 that he was covering up something, making it appear the bin Laden family knew something about the attack. Bullshit. The bin Ladens HATE their son. They are part of the what Osama stands AGAINST. They were all gonna' get lynched by americans just for their name if they didn't get the fuck out QUICK.

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

#4118261 - 05/01/05 12:12 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Bush is a complete idiot. As is Moore. Myopic Award of the Day goes to you!

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
    #4118269 - 05/01/05 12:15 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

SoopaX said:
Bush is a complete idiot. As is Moore.

Amen. The problem isn't just Bush. It's also the people two try desperately to tear this country in two, which michael moore is guilty of.

Like John Stewart said when he was on "cross fire" to the two left and right pundits who force the country to label themselves and chose sides... "You're HURTING America".

Who knew the wisest person ni the media dealing with politics right now would end up being a fuckin' comedian

InvisibleLe_Canard
Danger Man

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4118367 - 05/01/05 12:49 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Yes, F911 is complete and utter bullshit, but it probably did piss Bush and his cronies off, so it wasn't a complete waste of film.... :tongue:

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
    #4118384 - 05/01/05 12:55 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

His films have gotten progressively worse.

He went from being a funny subversive asshole with a sorta unique voice (like a very biased Jon Stewart), to being a serious asshole who supports the two-party system.

It's terrible watching Moore try to act concerned for all the people he just ends up exploiting. And his melodramatic narration is way too over the top.

There were definitely parts of Fahrenheit I liked. I mean, I'm always gonna laugh at Bush's endless mangled attempts at using the English language, no matter who's showing them to me. And he almost had me going on some of the conspiracy stuff in the beginning. But, in the end, it was a colossal step down for him as a film maker. I have a feeling his next one will be even worse.

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #4118883 - 05/01/05 03:56 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

exclusive58 said:
Usually, when someone reacts to something in such a manner, it means that their ego is feeling attacked in a way. "Truth hurts".

I have not seen Fahrenheit 9/11.

But, I have seen Bowling for Columbine. I hated that "documentary" with a passion. I wanted to punch my screen in as I was exposed to the blatant distortion and bias that Moore was serving up. My dislike of Moore has nothing to do with my ego or being faced with "the truth" (haha..."truth" and "Micheal Moore" should not be used in the same sentence). I dislike him because he is a biased, shrill, and blatant ideologue.

Quote:

exclusive58 said:
Personally, I'm glad someone other than non-Americans finally has the balls to criticize the American system and the Bush administration. But some people prefer that the truth not be told, probably for personal interests.

Baby Hitler was dead on in his statement about foreigners who criticize America. He said that they are very "frothy-mouthed" about it as opposed to being logical and informed.

I love it when the truth is told. But, you are not going to get the truth from an extremist Left-Wing propagandist like Moore.

Extremists on both the Left and the Right disgust me. The Left concerns itself with caring about the "little guy" and there is nothing wrong with that. The Right concerns itself with tradition and order and there is nothing wrong with that. But, sometimes these general and usually positive feelings devolve into a biased rancor that causes a person's psyche and intellect to become warped.

Edited by RandalFlagg (05/01/05 04:03 PM)

OfflineAldous
enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: inside my skull
    #4119049 - 05/01/05 04:36 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I dare anyone who whines about bias to find a single unbiased "news" source in the US. Bias is just part of the game, and Moore sometimes makes for a good laugh, so that's OK. I'm still waiting, however, for his first outright lie to be exposed. All the weak crap I saw on the internet is just not going to do.

What I dislike about him is his support for the two-party system (as said above) and his general moderation. When I heard he was going to make a movie about 9/11, I expected sparks, and all it yielded was a few smiles.
It's a shame he didn't have the balls and/or the brains to go radical and expose a few simple facts about, say, WTC7. I guess he loves his life and career too much.  :sad:

Oh, and before I go: it's alright, I know how you guys feel, no need for replies, they would be just too predictable  :yawn:

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Re: Fahrenheit 911 [Re: Aldous]
    #4119195 - 05/01/05 05:11 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

what i hate about him is that he bithes about the american's greed and excess.... when he can't even put the fuckin donuts down!!!

I thought bowling for columbine was ok... it wasn't biased against republicans or democrats... just biased against the gov't itself which is fine with me

cmon... interviewing some guy from lockheed and having him say "I don't know where these kids get these urges to kill from" while standing in from of a missle.. fucking CLASSIC!!!!

And almost giving charlton heston a heart attack at the end.. that was kinda funny.. but contrived.. like he was trying too hard to get back the glory he once had with his film "ROGER AND ME".

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Fahrenheit 911 [Re: Aldous]
    #4119321 - 05/01/05 05:55 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Aldous said:
I dare anyone who whines about bias to find a single unbiased "news" source in the US.

Comparing news agencies to an obvious ideologue who makes "documentaries" doesn't make sense. There is a difference between some bias creeping in and someone who attempts to beat you over the head with it.

Quote:

Aldous said:
I'm still waiting, however, for his first outright lie to be exposed. All the weak crap I saw on the internet is just not going to do.

I have seen no evidence of him lying (although I wouldn't doubt it if he did). I have seen evidence of exagerration, distortion, grand-standing, and editing to serve his ideological purposes.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Fahrenheit 911 [Re: BrAiN]
    #4119353 - 05/01/05 06:05 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

BrAiN said:
I thought bowling for columbine was ok... it wasn't biased against republicans or democrats... just biased against the gov't itself which is fine with me

It was hopelessly biased towards his Left-Wing stances.

Quote:

BrAiN said:
cmon... interviewing some guy from lockheed and having him say "I don't know where these kids get these urges to kill from" while standing in from of a missle.. fucking CLASSIC!!!!

I thought that was funny. Moore is really capable of delivering some ironic knee-slappers every once in a while. But at the same time I thought the point that Moore was trying to make there was stupid. There is a difference between preparing for violence if it is in defense of a nation, and a couple of alienated nutcases who decide to go and randomly kill people. The first has more legitimacy.

Quote:

BrAiN said:
And almost giving charlton heston a heart attack at the end.. that was kinda funny.. but contrived.. like he was trying too hard to get back the glory he once had with his film "ROGER AND ME".

I thought that was absolutely disgusting of Moore to target Heston. Not only is he an old man who is in the first stages of Alzheimer's (although I am not sure if Moore knew that), but Moore intentionally edited the interview to make Heston look as bad as was possible. And then Moore had the gall to use that little girl who died as a pawn in his arguments and his film-making. That whole Heston bit was contrived ideological grand-standing plain and simple. You could almost see the vitriolic and self-righteous ego masturbation emanating from Moore at that point.

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
    #4119487 - 05/01/05 06:38 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Moore is a biased fuck who doesn't report everything, and purposely edits out material to support his stance....

He does present an untold story, but he also fabricates a lot of it, and fails to get into the heavy issues.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Re: Fahrenheit 911 [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #4119545 - 05/01/05 06:49 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:

It was hopelessly biased towards his Left-Wing stances.

I didn't get that at all. He talked loads of shit about Clinton and how he was killing schoolchildren in bosnia by accident when columbie happened.

How is that left-biased again?

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Herb Grinder

General Interest >> Political Discussion