Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Loc: you'll shoot yer eye out ...
HELP w/ my TiT!! (I'll give you 2 prints!!))
    #4110207 - 04/29/05 10:12 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I tried a few Tetra 5-15 Gallon, 50W in-tank heaters before.. they sucked.  Then yesterday I bought this flaming pile of shit.

I guess it didn't say "fully submersible" on it.  Is that an oops? lol.  It's a 150W heater I got from P-Co. I plugged that puppy in yesterday, suction cupped it to the bottom of my large rubbermade and filled it about 1/5 of the way full.  (4) 1/2 pts on the bottom of the 'bottom' tub in the water to prevent the top tub from hitting the heater.  The heater was turned on and the little yellow/orange light blinked on.  I glug-glug-glug'ed some hydro-peroxide in there and then put the top tub on.  After a full day of waiting for something happen.. nothin!  The water didn't even heat up a little bit.  The heater keeps blinking on and off.. grrrr.  The water obviously isn't the 85deg I set it at.  :thumbdown: :confused:

It's a glass heater.  I keep hearing "don't get the glass heaters.. they suck!".  Well where do I get a non-glass heater?? P-Co has all glass from what I've seen.  What are the other types?? What works best for your TiT's Shroomery members?

Thanks for your continuous help.

You guys rock my socks. Anyone giving me help on this topic (since this is my 3rd heater!!) will get a rating of 5 shrooms from me. 

And if you solved my heater problems.. I'll give you (2).. that's right.. (2) B+ spore prints at the end.  :print: :print:

Sammy  :thumbup:

--------------------

I believe in the Golden Rule ? The Man with the Gold . . . Rules.
- Mr. T

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: HELP w/ my TiT!! (I'll give you 2 prints!!)) [Re: Sammy]
    #4110240 - 04/29/05 10:34 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I personally have a glass water heater from Wal-Mart and they work great. I have a total of 3, all submersible, and I have never had any problems. The 50 Watt unit from Wal-Mart comes in a plastic box and is semi-transparent.

I went to my local Home Depot and bought 2 1/2"-3/4" ($1.09 Ea.)grounding blocks. The grounding blocks are for pipes and are adjustable. Open the grounding block and place the water heater inside the clamps. This will add enough weight to sink the water heater. Make sure to lightly hand tighten the clamp so you don't break the water heater.

Here are some photos:

The water heaters range from $15.00 for a 50 Watt to $20.00 for a 100 Watt.

Also, forget about the Hydrogen Peroxide and put a cap full of bleach for every 10 gallons of water. The bleach and mineralization caused by the grounding blocks will keep the water nice and fresh. It smells like a pool in my closet.

I hope this helps you and don't worry about the prints. People have helped me in the past and I'm just glad to pass on some knowledge.

Good luck man.

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
    #4110251 - 04/29/05 10:39 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Sammy,

Return the heater you got...and get another one.

Petco has some really nice Stainless steel(covered in black plastic) fully submersible aquarium heaters now.
I think the brand name is Stealth...thats all I could see on the heater...I went and looked at it for you.

After you get a fully submersible heater...play with the temp setting til your inside of your incubator is at least 81 degress F.
You might have to turn up the aquarium heater past 85 degrees F. to get to 81 degrees F inside your incubator.

Ebo Jager makes some really nice submersible heaters too...I have several.

take care!~

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Re: HELP w/ my TiT!! (I'll give you 2 prints!!)) [Re: Wronguy]
    #4110262 - 04/29/05 10:47 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

srgt1:

It was fully submerged. The heater I got yesterday (the one in the pic) had a little picture on the side of the packaging that showed the top plastic bit of the heater to be un-sumberged.. and the rest sumberged. So basically it's a heater that you stick on the side of your tank.. vertically.

I had cheap heaters from Wallyworld like I said. I saw that cheap one you were talking about.. very small. The ones I'm using are the semi clear/ semi printed on.. plastic packaged Tetra heaters. Yeah I tried to get a pic of it on here before when I had a question.. no dice.

aug:

I had a 50 W just like that. Even had those clamps.. same as the ones you have in your picture holding it down. The thing responded just like my current one.. it turns on.. and off.. and on.. and off.. and I don't even know what the fuck it really does because it sits under another tub. What I do know is that I've got a nice new digital therm. sitting on the bottom of the dry tub and it reads....71.5 deg.. as of this morning.

Thanks for the pics of your setup by the way. That's cool.

This is so frustrating it's not even funny.

I'm pretty sure it's not the outlet where the heater is plugged into... a floro light works just fine off of there without screwing up any. The temp in the closet is about the same as the whole house.. 72. So the water is definately room temp.

How many inches of water do you guys allow on the bottom of your TiT??

Any other sugguestions??

Sam

--------------------

- Mr. T

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

#4110271 - 04/29/05 10:53 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Road:

How much for that kind of heater?? I didn't see any black plastic types of heaters there. There were a bunch of them sold out though. I'm headed out to another place today in the town over... huge pet store.. they'll probably have it.

Hey Road.. check out my Grow Log in the Grow Log & Pictures forum. Me thinks youd like it.

Sam

--------------------

- Mr. T

Offlinepsilocyben
bad guy

#4110287 - 04/29/05 11:03 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

agreed that you should not go with glass.
can't remember the brand name of the heater you got.... visitherm, that's it: piece of crap.
my first couple were this brand, different model, (so don't buy the same brand, but submersible.)
the warranty on those things is a joke
it is valid only if it is a manufacturer's defect.:whatever:

i got that stealth model, and it works great.
you could beat it like Michael Jackson,
and it won't crap out on you.

you don't happen to have a half-hot receptacle (outlet)
where one of the outlets is controlled by a switch on your wall, do you?

--------------------

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4110290 - 04/29/05 11:06 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I think I payed $29.99 for it bro.

I'll go look at your grow log.

:smile:

--------------------
Laterz, Road

You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Re: HELP w/ my TiT!! (I'll give you 2 prints!!)) [Re: Roadkill]
    #4110314 - 04/29/05 11:15 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

psilocyben:

Yes. A wall switch controlls the sockets to the outlet. Into the outlet is a plain extention with a 3 plug end. Only 1 of the plugs is being occupied at the moment. To prevent the outlet from being shut off... I put a piece of tape under the switch. Why do you ask if the outlet is like this??

I'm going to search hell and high water for a good fuckin heater and I don't care if I have to pay 70$ for the damned thing!

LoL

Thanks for the help guys!! I'll get back to you tonight when I pick up the heater and install it!!

I added a 5 SHROOM rating to ALL of you who helped above (srgtm1a, Wronguy, Roadkill & psilocyben)

Sammy

--------------------

- Mr. T

Offlinepsilocyben
bad guy

#4110368 - 04/29/05 11:35 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

sweet...thanks for the rating.

you said that you didn't know if the outlet was the problem, just tossing out variables.
looks like you got that under control, though.

just a friendly reminder:
when you search to hell and high water, grab yourself a pen paper and phonebook, and let your fingers do the walkin'.

--------------------

Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

#4110369 - 04/29/05 11:35 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_d...D=1114788517219

thats hydors newest model there old one is still at most pet smarts on sale too

this is there older one
http://www.hydor.it/inglese/hydromat.htm

imo petsmart has better heaters than petco theres only had +/- settings where petsmart had a lot of good brands rena cal and hydor

check out hydors site they have some radical shit fully sumurgible heat pads and heating cables

--------------------

See?
Yes, with my own three eyes.
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

Re: HELP w/ my TiT!! (I'll give you 2 prints!!)) [Re: onetime]
    #4110402 - 04/29/05 11:42 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------

See?
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

#4110414 - 04/29/05 11:45 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

You're welcome ben...

Onetime: Thanks for the help! If you've solved my problem (any of you really).. I'll mail you 2 prints!! Until then, enjoy your 5 SHROOM rating.

Thanks!

Sam

--------------------

- Mr. T

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4110420 - 04/29/05 11:46 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

here is the Stealth.

http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?fa...eaters&ct3=

$19.99

cheaper online!~

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Brainiac said:

Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

#4110434 - 04/29/05 11:50 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

i still like this one the best becouse it has exturnal heat control http://www.aquariumsupplystore.com/Productspages/won_brothers_heaters.htm

--------------------

See?

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

#4110439 - 04/29/05 11:51 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Road.. I didn't see that puppy there last time! Thanks for tha help!

Pics will be posted of my new purchase tonight.

Possibly even some pics (in my growlog) of the colonizing WBS.. it's going REALLY fast even though it's only 70 deg in there.

Sam

--------------------

- Mr. T

Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

#4110443 - 04/29/05 11:53 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

yeah i went through 3 heaters befor i found a good one i belive i had the one you have in the pic once it broke on me the first day

--------------------

See?

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

#4110466 - 04/29/05 11:59 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I believe the type of heater I have.. is a Neptune

http://shop.petsmart.com/product/2534374302023693/2534374302030060/845524441806876.htm

605506 Neptune Heater 150 Watt 10"

Damn.. cheaper by 4$ online... huh.

Anyway... back to the drooling board

Sammy

--------------------

- Mr. T

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4110594 - 04/29/05 12:36 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

First, I know a LOT about aquariums and aquarium heaters. That is another hobby of mine, which I am a real expert (unlike this growing mushrooms hobby).

First, you got a Neptune from Marineland. Those suck. Anything sold at K-mart or Walmart sucks. Visi-Therm sucks. What doesn't suck?

I will only discuss the brands I know: Tronics (glass), Ebo Jager (glass), Won Brothers Titaniums (http://www.wonbrothers.com/). You do NOT need size if you get a good electronic heater. 50-100W is PLENTY of heat, especially if you go for a titanium heater which transfers heat better than glass. Having said that, there is no harm in going bigger. If you get a 1000W heater that is working, it should be able to zero in on 84F just like a 50W can. If there is a malfunction in the heater, though, and it sticks on, that's a different story. A good brand heater won't do that though.

Now, you're going to notice that most pet stores don't carry the good brands, and the ones that do, charge an arm and leg. Welcome to the aquarium hobby. The good stuff at a decent price is online. If I were you, I'd break the bank and spend $20-$30 on a Won Brother Pro Heat (I or II). These both come with the external probes. Here's an Ebay of one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20758&item=4376119452&rd=1

You get this heater and you will never need another. Not only can you control the heat without getting the heater out and not only is it dead on accurate, but you can place the probe to sense the temperature anywhere you want. If you want the AIR around your tubs to be 84F and don't give a crap how hot the water becomes, just place the probe by the jars. This is nice since it'll allow you to strongly decouple the water from the thing you are trying to heat. By keeping a pretty decent air gap between the water and the inner tub, you prevent hot spots on the tub floor. Believe me, it's worth the extra $10 to get a heater like the Pro Heat.

Oh, and they also have a Pro Heat II with a digital display of the temperature. That's nice but it costs like $10 more, so I doubt it'd be really worth it. You'll probably have a second digital temperature display probing the tub anyway.

Edited by Blue Helix (04/29/05 12:38 PM)

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: HELP w/ my TiT!! (I'll give you 2 prints!!)) [Re: Blue Helix]
    #4110634 - 04/29/05 12:48 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

hi..bro

Petco used to carry the Tronics brand submersible aquarium heaters.
I have 4 or 5 of them...they work great.
But they stopped carrying them.  :frown:

I love my Ebo Jager's!~

thanks for the post and link.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Brainiac said:

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #4110672 - 04/29/05 12:58 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

The heater in this post is awsome.  :thumbup:

Incubator set up.

1. First thing get your bottom tub and put in your heater. I also add a water pump to mix the water that way it heats up much more evenly but it isn?t a necessary item.  I got the tape from a boat shop and it has been working for some time. Good stuff for underwater. 

2. Next put something (I used tall half pints) in each corner of the tub. This will keep the heater and pump safe from being smashed if I put in to many jars or do something stupid. 

3. Now be sure to set the heater before you put on the top tub. I attach the top tub with zip ties cause the top tub will want to float. 

4. Add the water. I like to add as much water as I can before it starts to spill out.

5. If you use the heaters with the external controls set them now to get ready for the jars. Mine use a dial and a sensor that gives the temp inside the chamber rather then the water. It also has a metal bulb rather then a glass one.

6. Finished

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation