Art.
There is no such thing as what art isn't.
We've all dug through music libraries and cd collections and said at once point in our lives "this artist sucks" or "this band sucks". It's one thing to say this in a joking manner. Any mature adult who says something like this and actually believes is has no concept of what art or science truly is.
There is an art and a science to everything in this world.
Science is the technical aspect of a job, a process, and object, a system. Art is the human passion and drive behind carrying it out. Nothing can exist without either side. Art is the yin to scientific yang. A passion may be an emotional reward or sense of relief or even a sense of letting a force take over you. To Jackson Pollock , Marcel Duchamp , and John Cage art was a cosmic and subconcious force that guided their hand to create imagery and music. To GG Allin and Chris Burden , art was the action of changing the way people thought about their everyday surroundings by having viewers focus on the ACTION... seeing beauty and art in 'being', 'seeing' and 'doing' and not just in creating tangable, ownable, syndicated goods. To Sun Tzu and Igor Stravinsky, art was a similar application as well.
"Painting" is generally considered an art, but there is a science to it. The chemistry and physics inside the paint which create the color we perceive is science. The acoustics of a venue and shape of the sonic vibrations are the scientific elements to music which is an art. The electricity and lighting and perspective that a director or photographer needs to create a particular mood is science. The creation of this mood, manipuation of space, and use of this color in the artist's eye *CREATES* the effect of art. The reward they feel from acting on this *IS* art. Art doesn't neccessarily even have to be represented as a physical object or product, but by an action, hence why sports, performance 'art', and war are often referred to as art.
Having said that, no art can truly "suck". Art is just the physical manifestation of someone else's passion and drive, whether it be performance art, a painting, the ride of as wave, driving a car, beating on a drum, or movement of a tool, prop, or weapon. And it is THAT person' art, THAT person's passion being manifested. It may not be to the viewer's liking or aesthetics, but to the person commiting the action or creating a work... it *IS* art... at least in their frame of reference. Art is then created. Art may be a positive force to help relieve someone's stress or dimentia... or it may be a negative force such as hate propoganda against another people or nation (as often parodied by Shepard Fairey ).
To say that something isn't art that the creator defines as art him/herself, is simply wrong. Using this definition of art; it is true anyone who listens to a song or watches a movie, who says that this piece "sucks" and believes it may think that they know more about art, when they are proving just the opposite. They have no concept of what is going on inside someone else's head, and to say that someone else's art is sucks basically the same as saying that we have a better idea of the reasons someone else has for doing what they do, which is simply wrong. It isn't for the audience to judge whether or not something is art, but the art "test" lies in the creator him/herself.
Why I chose art:
There is an art and a science to just "life" as well. This is where my story draws a turning point. As a bachelor and professional of information systems and someone who has let technology pilot half of his life, I've been consumed by the science. I'm tired of it and I'm afraid that this empty work will turn me into a compassionless drone by my middle age. I'm going back to the artistic passions I embraced as a child attending a school for 'gifted kids' when I used to sketch and write poems and short stories and enter my pieces into local competitions.
I enjoy a good challange. I always have, since I learned to put together puzzles as a toddler. Every challenge needs a reward though. I don't mean a physical or monetary award, but an emotional award; a sense of satisfaction, pride, and accomplishment. My enjoyment of working with code and logic has turned into nothing but the application of statistics and dollar dollar figures, the creation financial and executive reports for managers to translate their fellow man into small factors in greater profitable decisions without the slightest hint of empathy for fellow human beings. The pride and accomplishment I used to feel by tackling complex problems on machines has turned into disgust and contempt.
I'm turning my back on science and opening a door to the room I used to play in as a child. I've decided to return to school to study photojournalism to help capture the emotions and struggles from different nationalities and present them to the world, to study and to try to understand the way we live... with the same passion and fairness I used to give so much weight to when I was so young.
"LIFE" is *my* new art and world peace is my new goal. I know I will not ever see an absolute version of the latter in my life time, but if I can exit the final scene of my life story knowing that even a single image I took, had a positive 'butterfly' effect on a nation, a community or a small classroom then I will die happy (and probably poor). If I can convince even a single person that those suffering in other 'countries' are not foreigners, but his brothers, my job will be done, a job that will give me this feeling of relief, accomplishment, and 'art' that I used to feel as a teenage computer programmer, or a childhood artist.
- BrAiN
"he who dies with the most toys, still dies" - some random dude
Edited by BrAiN (04/26/05 10:54 PM)
|