Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Loc: you'll shoot yer eye out ...
Many WBS questions!! HELP!!!
    #4088264 - 04/23/05 11:48 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Okay so I've been pulled in SO many directions when I first started using WBS.. which was about a little over a week ago.

I was told to pick up some Penningtons birdseed... and I did. I picked up Penningtons Wild Birdseed. I soaked it for around 24 hours until it looked like it had the right water content.. didn't look like it was absorbing anymore. Then... PC'd @15lbs for 90 minutes. inoculated a B+ liquid culture .. 1cc for each 1qt jar. This was all on 4-16. Jars were innoced on 4-17. It's been about 5 days since they were inoculated.. and nada has happened. Not even a little bit.

Then.... I did another batch the other day with another 3 jars. About the same meathod.. but I decided that if I were to fuck up the first time.. maybe I'd do something different the second time not to fuck it up, and maybe even catch it. Anyway.. .. they were injected on 4-20... nada happening on those either.

I got a little frustrated so I read and read and read more teks upon teks... in one I was told not to get wild birdseed.. but rather FINCH SEED. A trip to walmart was done this morning and bam.. now I have my Finch Seed soaking.

Now.. the questions:

1) Which birdseed works best? Finch? Wild? Parakeet?
2) I've heard that simmering helps ensure full water content. What do I look for when simmering?? I've heard simmer on low for around an hour, or... when some starts to burst.. take em' out!
3) How long does it take a WBS jar to start showing colonization?? Maybe I'm just freaking out.. but I know some have had full colonization in 10 days or a little more.
4)How 'wet' does/should the WBS look in your jars while incubating??
5)Are there signs that I should look for so I might know why my jars arent colonizing?? IE: WBS too dry/too wet, bad smells.. etc.

Thanks
Sammy

--------------------

I believe in the Golden Rule ? The Man with the Gold . . . Rules.
- Mr. T

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinexburn
V card
Re: Many WBS questions!! HELP!!! [Re: Sammy]
    #4088276 - 04/23/05 11:53 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3982155/an/0/page/0

Finch usually doesn't have Sunflower seeds, which their is a big sontroversy over. I say its fine as i hav growth on them no problem. Finch is much more expensive than wbs and SFS float so their easy to pick off.

you WBS is gonna smell a little thats just the way it is. But dont worry read that post and give it a try

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

Offlineabaccusx
Shroomer

#4088286 - 04/23/05 11:56 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Well being pretty new to mycology myself the only question i can answer is the one about colonisation time. 10 days for a fully colonised jar is under OPTIMAL conditions:

1 - correct temp
2 - correct water content
3 - using a liquid culture - spore syringe takes at least another 3-5 for germination to occur

Another thing i've read recently - depends where you injected your LC - you may not see growth ie/ if you didn't inject down the sides of the jars it may be internal and therefore not visible.

If i've learnt anything so far - BE PATIENT!!! Give it another few days....

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Re: Many WBS questions!! HELP!!! [Re: xburn]
    #4088288 - 04/23/05 11:57 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Agar's tek for.. "soaking grains.. the final answer" was the one I used....

Argh!!

I put birdseed in a bowl.... then put water in to cover it all the way.. waited 12 hours... did that again, waited 6 hours... added a tiny bit more.. they werent absorbing anymore so I let them soak for another hour just to make sure.. then drained, rinsed.... then fully drained for about 45 minutes.

Sammy

--------------------

- Mr. T

Offline_JJ_
PsychedelicRevolutionary
Loc: NSW, Australia
    #4088338 - 04/23/05 12:19 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

-Are you incubating them at ~26 degrees celsius? (I think it's 84-86F)
-Did you shake the jars after inoculating? (you should still see growth anyway)
-Did you prepare the syringes yourself?

If the jars look mushy down the bottom, they might have too much water. They should look moist but not soaking. I have had jars take 5-6 days to show growth, though this was from spores over 2 years old, but if after a week you don't see growth (and they are being incubated at the right temperature) something is probably wrong.

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Re: Many WBS questions!! HELP!!! [Re: _JJ_]
    #4088347 - 04/23/05 12:23 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

They're being incubated (via HEATBOMB) at about 80 deg. I haven't shaken the jars yet. Yes.. I prepared the syringe myself... it's a liquid culture... via KARO tek. The PF jars injected with the same syringe are showing signs of rapid growth.

Sammy

--------------------

- Mr. T

Offline_JJ_
PsychedelicRevolutionary
Loc: NSW, Australia
    #4088358 - 04/23/05 12:28 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

So you didn't shake after injecting solution? If so, I would say shake them now, it can't hurt. Do they look mushy or moist?

InvisibleJudgeHacksaw
The Judge hasspoken.

Re: Many WBS questions!! HELP!!! [Re: _JJ_]
    #4088375 - 04/23/05 12:34 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Shake, and give them more time. You havent seen any growth period, good or bad. What harm can another week of waiting do?

--------------------

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Re: Many WBS questions!! HELP!!! [Re: JudgeHacksaw]
    #4088406 - 04/23/05 12:43 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Well.. I just took JJ's advice and shook the jars. 2/4 of the jars that I did the first time have just a couple of grains that have whiteness on them!! Hopefully it's mycellium and not mold or crap.

Thanks guys.. I hope I did this all right

Sammy

--------------------

- Mr. T

InvisibleNeedMoreSleep
OCD = 100%Sterility :-)

Loc: One Inch ↑
    #4088445 - 04/23/05 12:54 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Sammy said:
Hopefully it's mycellium and not mold or crap.

Yea, I hate when I accidentally shit in my substrate too :wink:  GL bro :stoned:

--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags