Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Dehydrator, Dessicant, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGabrielKnight
I can eat moreshrooms thanyou!
 User Gallery

Need some help turning half kilo of fresh Mexicana 'truffles' into capsules.
    #4075873 - 04/20/05 06:56 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I have 500g of fresh truffles, one quality dehydrator with 7 trays that can be heated to <95*C and some empty capsules.  :cool:

What order do I do things in?

Common sense would say cut the truffles in half and completely dry in dehydrator, grind in a food processor and put the stuff in capsules.

Obviously the idea is to keep as much psy in as possible. How can I avoid damaging the potency when I grind the dried truffles?  :ooo:

Or would it infact be better to grind the wet truffles and dry the damp powder to ensure that the truffles are dried completely and evenly? Will I at some point need a desiccant, or will a dehydrator be enough to dry for making capsules.

Give me some ideas guys!  :confused: Thanks!!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Need some help turning half kilo of fresh Mexicana 'truffles' into capsules. [Re: GabrielKnight]
    #4075884 - 04/20/05 07:14 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Dry completely whole, then grind to a powder. Pick up a 00 capsule machine if you plan on doing a lot of them, they work great. You want gelatin capsules. www.capsuleconnection.com

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Need some help turning half kilo of fresh Mexicana 'truffles' into capsules. [Re: Holydiver]
    #4075893 - 04/20/05 07:26 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

both ways will work but why bother. They dont taste bad. grinding them will leave them more exposed to air so I would imagine the active components will degrade faster due to this exposure.
have you grown them yet?, I see in another post you mention this is a kit.

--------------------
support the free spore ring http://fsre.nl/

OfflineGabrielKnight
 User Gallery

Re: Need some help turning half kilo of fresh Mexicana 'truffles' into capsules. [Re: blackout]
    #4076007 - 04/20/05 08:57 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Just picked them up from the Post Office.

I spent the extra ?10 to have ones that were 'Ready for harvest - est harvest 300-600g'. Basically, they've kept them in the right conditions for the last few weeks so I don't have to.

What I don't know if I should open them yet.
When it says 'ready to harvest' does that mean that this is the biggest harvest possible and I should just pick out all the truffles and throw the bag away.  :tongue:

Or should I just pic some out for now and hope for more flushes.  :confused:

I'm a newbie and fairly clueless.    :blush:

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Need some help turning half kilo of fresh Mexicana 'truffles' into capsules. [Re: GabrielKnight]
    #4076039 - 04/20/05 09:16 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

It looks like they were grown on rice. On the site it said they have the date of when to harvest. Is there any date. A start date would be better they should be ready in 3-4months. Leaving them a bit longer will do no harm, I would leave them at 20-25C for another week at least and see if there is any change.
I would also have paid the extra ?10, you will be able to clone the sclerotia and grow your own now. It is very easy, you cut open a stone with a sterile blade and scoop out some inner flesh and dump it in honey water. Keep some fresh in the fridge in a jar and you should be able to clone them for a long time. This is the bonus of buying stones, especially since the spores tend to be expensive

Please let us know the yeild and potency when you get around to it.

--------------------

OfflineGabrielKnight
 User Gallery

Re: Need some help turning half kilo of fresh Mexicana 'truffles' into capsules. [Re: blackout]
    #4076066 - 04/20/05 09:35 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

It says 1/21 so I guess they've been going for 88 days (12 and a half weeks).

Just got an email back from the suppliers:

<Ready to open and break up. You can keep them unopened until you need them(in the dark at room temp).
Once opened you must harvest all of them. You cannot continue to grow once opened as they will contaminate.>

Still not 100% sure what to do! I'm in no rush at all to try these. Should I keep them warm and dark for a bit longer. There seems to be more rice than truffles at the moment although thats probably normal?  :confused:

Thanks for the info regarding cloning. K+

OfflineGabrielKnight
 User Gallery

#4076095 - 04/20/05 09:52 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

<is very easy, you cut open a stone with a sterile blade and scoop out some inner flesh and dump it in honey water>

But then what?!

I read the FAQ, btw, but I have never grown using jars, teks etc, only from easy kits. Are you saying I do not need to do any of the below? Just leave the insides of 1 truffle inside a big pot of honey water, wait 3 months and hey presto, I'll have a big ol' jar of truffles?! I must sound like such a tit.  :blush:

<Sclerotia can be grown in vitro on rye grass seed or different grains, or harvested from spent casings of P. mexicana or P. tampanensis.
Growing sclerotia in vitro is very simple and does not require any of the terrariums, air exchanges, or other complexities of fruiting mushrooms, but takes longer. Different grain substrates will work for sclerotia, but PF substrate is not suitable because of its vermiculite content. Any substrate containing materials not fit for human consumption should not be used for growing sclerotia, as it may be difficult during harvesting to separate the sclerotia from the substrate.
Rye grass seed (without fungicides) produces the highest yields of sclerotia, and so is the preferred substrate. In addition, some vendors sell ready made pre-sterilized bags of substrate in which sclerotia can be grown.

Preparing jars for:

Substrate for sclerotia formation for Psilocybe mexicana , Psilocybe tampanensis and Psilocybe atlantis
Substrate for fruits of Psilocybe mexicana, Psilocybe tampanensis,Psilocybe semperviva, Psilocybe atlantis ...
Recipe #1 Rye Grass Seed Recipe

QUART Jar
300 ml Rye Grass Seed
150 ml Water
PINT Jar
150 ml Rye Grass Seed
75 ml Water

Recipe #2 Whole white rice recipe

QUART jar:
300 ml whole white rice
400 ml water
PINT jar:
150 ml whole white rice
200 ml water
1. Fill jars with grain and water
2. Remove and punch an inoculation hole in the lid of each jar.
3. Screw a lid fitted with a Tyvek or polyfill filter on each jar, shake well to distribute the seeds and water.
In addition an inoculation hole can be made, where you can inoculate the jars with a syringe. Cover the hole with a piece of tape.
4. Sterilize in pressure cooker for 1 hour at 15 PSI.
5. Shake well while the jars are still hot to distribute the wettter and dryer seeds evenly. Place back into the pressure cooker to cool down.
6. When jars have cooled completely, they may be inoculated. Inoculate with a spore syringe containing P. mexicana or P. tampanensis spores (preferably P. mexicana strain ?A?, and make sure to flame-sterilize the needle) or liquid inoc?late prepared from a actively growing culture on agar.

Incubation

The jars are then left in a dark place between 70 and 80 ?F. They should be shaken 1-2 times during the first few weeks to spread the growing mycelium evenly. After they are fully colonized, sclerotia will begin to form in the jars. They should not be shaken after this point. Sclerotia will continue to form for 2 to 3 months after complete colonization. Time from inoculation to harvest is approximately 3 or 4 months.>

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4076196 - 04/20/05 10:34 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

GabrielKnight said:
Just leave the insides of 1 truffle inside a big pot of honey water, wait 3 months and hey presto, I'll have a big ol' jar of truffles?!

If only! You are cloning the sclerotia in the liquid innoculant (honey water) it will get cloudy with mycelium which you can then inject into the jars or bags of substrate as shown in the faqs. There are many faqs on liquid innoculants too.
Kits are handy and nice for beginners but you should think of investing in a pressure cooker, it is cheaper in the long run.

--------------------

OfflineGabrielKnight
 User Gallery

#4076341 - 04/20/05 11:33 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

<If only! You are cloning the sclerotia in the liquid innoculant (honey water) it will get cloudy with mycelium which you can then inject into the jars or bags of substrate as shown in the faqs. There are many faqs on liquid innoculants too.
Kits are handy and nice for beginners but you should think of investing in a pressure cooker, it is cheaper in the long run.>

Lol, thought it sounded too simple! It will be illegal to buy shrooms, truffles or grow kits in a few weeks in the UK, so I am trying to learn asap. Basically, if I can't clone these, I'm buggered!

I've read the FAQs through a few times but never found a general newbie guide as helpful as this one I just stumbled across:

http://archives.thenook.org/MMGG.htm

OfflineGabrielKnight
 User Gallery

#4076375 - 04/20/05 11:49 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Will do some more research and get some ideas of how to do this, and come back in a day or two.

If anyone has any other suggestions in the meantime, please just type them below! Thanks all!

OfflineHambo
Limey

Loc: UK
    #4077016 - 04/20/05 02:44 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

When you've done that. I beleive you can try and case the substrate to grow out some shrooms, from which you could get spores. Worth trying.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Dehydrator, Dessicant, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation