Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblemoog
Stranger

If you know about MIDI, help me out...
    #4066017 - 04/17/05 05:02 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I'm looking for a MIDI sequencing program that can take numbered input and output it through a VSTi. What I mean is, I want to use raw MIDI data to output sound, rather than going through an audio/musical scale interface. I'm sure something like this exists but I can't find anything yet. The reason I'm asking is I want to experiment with randomly-generated music.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFleaAccela
Hip-HopEncyclopedia

Re: If you know about MIDI, help me out... [Re: moog]
    #4066491 - 04/17/05 08:02 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

pretty sure there isnt a way to use raw midi data to make music

thats like using the buttons pressed on your controller for your video game console to make video games

... :shake:

--------------------
:royalrainbow:I love rolling... my Katamari!!!:royalrainbow:

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

Re: If you know about MIDI, help me out... [Re: FleaAccela]
    #4067050 - 04/17/05 11:16 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

You probably think I'm crazy. :grin:

I know this is possible though, and it's not as difficult to manipulate as you'd think. For example, the old freeware sequencer Buzz uses raw numbers rather than a GUI for all of the Buzz-exclusive instruments. (but some instruments have optional GUI) What I want to do though, is fool around with the MIDI numbers of a commercial VSTi (the numerical values for the filters, oscillators, etc), in the way that Buzz does. Unfortunately, I don't think Buzz is still around or I'd try that.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of another prgram that does this...?

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
    #4067491 - 04/18/05 01:54 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Ok, you want to create your own waveforms and filters etc in a VSTi and use your MIDI to play it?

There are a few VST's that you can go pretty in-depth at creating your own setting. Absynth comes to mind, as does Pro-53 and Modulator-- but they're all in GUI format. The only difference with Buzz is that it was ONLY available in the # format, but you're essentially doing the same thing as a knob...

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: If you know about MIDI, help me out... [Re: Blastrid]
    #4067643 - 04/18/05 02:57 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I know you can use MIDI input values on Digital Performer, like sustain, pitch bend, pitch and volume type stuff, and since you are trying to be random you wouldnt have to know the code values.

Offlinelackobreath
Cannabis Man
    #4068690 - 04/18/05 01:07 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

hey, don't call Buzz dead! I'm still using it!!! yes, you can load up a VSTi adapter with your VSTi, go to the patterns for it, and highlight what you want to randomize and just hit CTRL+R. unfortunately i don't think it really pays attention to the paramters of the VSTi...I'm not sure though, there's a couple different adapters, as well as all kinds of "control" machines floating around. FSM Infector is one synth free with buzz that I think ranks up there with VSTi also.

Edited by lackobreath (04/18/05 01:11 PM)

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

Re: If you know about MIDI, help me out... [Re: lackobreath]
    #4069049 - 04/18/05 03:17 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

That's awesome, I didn't know there were VSTi adapters for Buzz. But I no longer have Buzz on my PC... I used it years ago when I didn't know much at all about making music. Do you know where I can download it (and the VSTi adapters)? Buzzmachines.com won't load up for me and it looks like jeskola.com is gone...

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #4069430 - 04/18/05 05:05 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

always give www.downloads.com a try. You never know, sometimes things stop making money and just go freeware.

Offlinelackobreath
Cannabis Man
Re: If you know about MIDI, help me out... [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #4071161 - 04/19/05 12:11 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

if buzzmachines is down, then I really have no idea where you can get buzz... the core of the program hasn't been updated in a couple years, but people have still been tweaking every last thing they could without the actual source code...usually I'm checking buzzmachines every 3-4 weeks to grab the new machines...i think it'll be back up soon (I hope)...there's still a group of hard core buzzers coding and making music.

I really haven't experimented with defining parameters of VSTis with buzz...I only recently have started using VSTis.. I'm not entirely sure there is a mechanism within the VSTi adapters to "remember" the values of parameters set within the VSTi itself...I think that is a function of the VSTi architecture itself, though I'm not entirely sure. I think any program that can record VSTi parameter changes and sequence those changes should be able to do what you're interested in, right?

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

Re: If you know about MIDI, help me out... [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #4071304 - 04/19/05 01:04 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

ah, no luck. Even download.com doesn't have it.

lackobreath: Yeah what I want to do actually is try a couple different things with parameter changes within a VSTI, but I don't want to have to do it in real-time, you know, just sitting there fooling around with the "knobs" as I'm recording. For the past year I've been using Cubase, which is great, and you can program VSTi parameter changes easily enough, but not in any detailed way. Firstly, I want to be able to randomize filters, A/D/S/R, and some other stuff. And the other thing I wanted to do was use some mathematical formlas to determine parameter changes. But to do that I'd have to edit values very specifically, not just graphically like Cubase and most sequencers do it. This is why I want to edit the numbers themselves.

EDIT: I found Buzz 1.2 to download. I'll let you know how it goes...

Edited by moog (04/19/05 01:10 AM)

OfflineFleaAccela
Hip-HopEncyclopedia

#4077985 - 04/20/05 04:52 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

www.dogsonacid.com

go to the grid

there are some hardcore buzz users there that will help you

--------------------
:royalrainbow:I love rolling... my Katamari!!!:royalrainbow:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom