Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Salvia, Scales, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFeelers
Anti-Myth-Rhythm-Rock-Shocker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Oz
Salvia Problem
    #4066484 - 04/17/05 10:01 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I bought some salvia cuttings a while back and they all seem to be doing pretty well, but on a lot of the leaves, particulary the leaves of the smaller plants the tips of the leaf go brown and die, I cant figure out what this is caused by. Any suggestings as to what I might be doing wrong? or is this not even a problem? (they're growing quickly and this hasn't killed any of them, its only the tips which are affected)

cheers

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDeathCompany
Oneironaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in my head
Re: Salvia Problem [Re: Feelers]
    #4066494 - 04/17/05 10:03 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

well ive never grown but i was jsut reading about cultivation off erowid and they said brown on the ends of lesves is fine, nothing to worry about

--------------------

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Salvia Problem [Re: DeathCompany]
    #4067356 - 04/18/05 02:49 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I'm going to have to poke at the seemingly obvious and say, humidity maybe? Are they in any sort of humidity tent?

Are you over watering them?

If there's no really harm done and you're sure you're not overwatering and the humidity is fine, and they keep growing and look healthy otherwise, I'm not sure I'd really worry, but it's hard to say.

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

OfflineminErval
garden gnome

Re: Salvia Problem [Re: Hooty]
    #4067666 - 04/18/05 05:06 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

i dont think overwatering is a huge problem with salvia, depending of course on soil substrate and drainage... in my experience the problem is m ore common not enough water then too much.. and too much is usually in excess of one good soaking per day...
humidity is a definite cause of tip browning/leaf death, so too is too much direct sunlight...
also regularly check these babies for aphid, spider mite and ant infestation...
they also love organic ferts such as worm casting and seasol/fishemulsion...
why use chem ferts when organics are so effective?
peace
***E***

--------------------
to each his gnome....

evolving to a fluctuating vibration of cosmic energy....sounds like dna unfolding and re-arranging to me...
http://www.ketuhrecords.com/releases_hyperspatial.php

oh for fucks sake cant we evolve already??

Invisibledurban_poison
myco contractor
    #4070075 - 04/18/05 09:34 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

ok my experience has nothing to do with salvia, however plant symptoms in my experience are the same. when a plant leaves from the top down burn its because of salt build up. the salts come from the fertilizers u use. the trick to rid this problem is leaching which means you run 1 gallon of water per every 3 gallons soil. mind you i never follow this rule i flush all the salts out approx. 1 gal water to 1 gallon soil. however if u just watered this will hurt your plant. best to let it go semi-dry. when i say semi dry i mean its light when u pick it. semi-dry is when leaves arent wilting or showing any sighns of thirst but the soil & plant does not weigh much when u pick it up. then leach it good i mean good (pretty much what im saying is the drainage from the water is clear when it comes out the bottom not looking like iced tea). that means you cleaned the soil depending on what u are growing and its nutritional needs u may need to feed it but i usually wait till its somewhat near need of watering then fertilizer. my style of growing is water- let dry out -leach-feed-let dry out-leach feed-etc. however if browning is coming from brown at the bottom working its way up the plant there could be a few reasons 1 they have lack of nutrients but they yellow first, 2 naturally lower leaves fall off because they are no longer needed as solar factories for the plant, 3 to much phosphorus, 4 lack of humidity(that is if u r dealing with salvia). Most my info is based on cannabis however the way that plants react to circumstance' is gennerally the similar.

Invisibledurban_poison
myco contractor
    #4070103 - 04/18/05 09:42 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

like minerval said depends alot on substrate this is just my experience. i use high drainage medium

OfflineGin_Drunk
Stranger
Re: Salvia Problem [Re: durban_poison]
    #4070167 - 04/18/05 09:57 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

It's been my experience that salvia plants sit around all day just looking for a reason to turn the tips of their leaves brown. Too wet, too dry, too humid, Dow Jones loses 3% in three days, Bam! brown tips. Brown tips really are common and I don't think there's just one thing that causes it. It seems to be "stress" as such. Your cuttings could be just adjusting to a new environment or there could be to many salts in the soil but if the plant is otherwise healthy I wouldn't worry too much about it.

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

Re: Salvia Problem [Re: Hooty]
    #4070460 - 04/18/05 11:23 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Id say it has to do more with a dry spell with the soil, that and just the leaves getting damaged by boucing of things while the pots are moved around.
Humidity can also do it.

Yeah get to know how the water uptake is, feal out your plant, see how what you do effects it and adjust as the growth increases. Not to long ago mine had brown edges, i plucked them of cuz i just dont think damaged leaves are nesecary and pretty to look at. Water it every couple days minimaly. I hardly ever soak any of my plants, I just make it a routine to moisten every few days.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Salvia Problem [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #4071548 - 04/19/05 05:30 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

the longer days are helping my plant lots

any dropped leaves have been collected, some smoked - nice.

brown tips? sometimes I cut them with scissors and add teh dry cuttings to the bag of collected smokable, it's like trimming of fingernails - it looks better, and adds to the stash.

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA Flag
Re: Salvia Problem [Re: redgreenvines]
    #4071590 - 04/19/05 06:34 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hum, salvia is supposed to have fast draining soil. Doesn't have to be cactus soil, but traditional plain soil isn't as good so it is said. They sure love a ultasonic humidifier or a misting quite often. Watering them too much can cause the leaves to turn. I don't have any brown leaves with fast draining soil, watering every 3 days and misting a few times a day via timer.

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
Re: Salvia Problem [Re: Fluxburn]
    #4073426 - 04/19/05 06:20 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

scale and whitefly and the occasional green caterpillar (where the fuck do they come from) owned my glasshouse salvias, i just planted them out and they're doing fine for now. I can't be bothered with them in the glasshosue anymore.. i'm not spraying anything on the leaves of something i intend to smoke

check for a sticky substance, it is scale frass - scale are very tiny

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

Re: Salvia Problem [Re: Fluxburn]
    #4073495 - 04/19/05 06:49 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Fluxburn said:
Hum, salvia is supposed to have fast draining soil. Doesn't have to be cactus soil, but traditional plain soil isn't as good so it is said. They sure love a ultasonic humidifier or a misting quite often. Watering them too much can cause the leaves to turn. I don't have any brown leaves with fast draining soil, watering every 3 days and misting a few times a day via timer.

So ur on my level then  :thumbup:

OfflineFeelers
Anti-Myth-Rhythm-Rock-Shocker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Oz
Re: Salvia Problem [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #4073996 - 04/19/05 09:08 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

All I have is just 2 pots with the cuttings in regular potting mix, I might transplant coz they are getting pretty crowded. For drainage I just have some rocks at the bottom. I havent fertilized or any thing, and if I mist them they seem to do worse, I mist once a day probably, any more and the leaves seem to go all bumpy. The newest leaves at the top of the plants seem to be fine, but I'll try trimming off the brown bits.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Salvia, Scales, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden