Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepsylo33o
enthusiast
Loc: Europe
Salvia Problem!!!!!
    #1121524 - 12/08/02 03:03 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Hi all...
I have a problem with a salvia plant... about one week ago, the leaves started to loose their colour, and generally lokking not well.. I figured out it could have been an overwatering problem, as I had watered her twice in 3 days, and I normally water her evry 4-5 days.. So I stopped watering it, and I had a check under the leaves, very few spider mites, sprayed it with some soap solution, they went off. But the leaves, after a few days, started bending down, she was thirsty. And some strrange brownish stains appeared on the lower leaves. Not those brown low humidity spot, very much lighter brown. Watered her, and the leaves went back to normal in 2 days. But now, the leaves started to get all ludgy and brown on the sides and tips, and today, nearly all the lower leaves have fallen off... what can I do?? I clipped off all the brow gouwy parts with some clean sissors.. Mold problem? I cleaned & washed my room today.. The second plant is starting to have similar, but much fewer brown stains.. Help!!!!

--------------------
I am the holy spirit
I am whole in spirit

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineakjakj
Re: Salvia Problem!!!!! [Re: psylo33o]
    #1121577 - 12/08/02 03:57 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Very tricky to grow salvia. I've lost several plants to the same problems you mentioned.

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #1121590 - 12/08/02 04:22 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

weird, I never had that. maybe not enough nutrition?
well, I have some stupid little white bugs/flies on my salvia's, are those spider mites?

Anonymous

#1121720 - 12/08/02 08:06 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Offlinepsylo33o
enthusiast
Re: Salvia Problem!!!!! [Re: ]
    #1121749 - 12/08/02 08:52 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Hi
The soil is composed of potting soil and vermiculite, good drainage, and I leave the top of the soil to dry up before watering again; the humidity in my room is about 50%, and I spray 2-3 times a day. I oticed that the brown goo is drying up, so I stopped misting for a while. The top leaves seem to be kind of Ok, but they seem "dirty" with brown, under the laves especialy.. no bugs.. I'll see what happens, I may start misting again...

--------------------
I am the holy spirit
I am whole in spirit

Anonymous

#1121761 - 12/08/02 09:08 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
    #1124266 - 12/09/02 08:30 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

i grow salvia with great success at 25% rh or lower. the largest/healthiest salvia i have ever seen is growing elsewhere at a similar rh. it is approximately 6 feet tall with huge branches. the main stalk is almost 2 inches thick. fyi.

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: Salvia Problem!!!!! [Re: Bilge]
    #1124391 - 12/09/02 09:31 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

But you didn't just thrust your salvia into the 25% RH environment did you? And if you did, did you notice a period of healthiness until it became acclimated?

InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Re: Salvia Problem!!!!! [Re: neuro]
    #1124501 - 12/09/02 10:17 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

pretty much, yes. i got a rooted cutting from a greenhouse in california, put it in a pot and let it go. i don't think i misted it at all. i'm very lazy. but i also have a green thumb and experience with a large number of non-entheogenic plants so my experience may not be typical. still, i'm of the belief that it is easier to harm salvia with too much humidity/moisture than with too little. a drooping dry salvia can be watered. a salvia with root rot is probably toast.

just posting my personal experience. your mileage may vary.

--------------------

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

#1127188 - 12/09/02 11:09 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

too much moisture isn't really bad, just as long as the moisture isn't coming from constantly soaked soil. Then that's bad. Relative Humidity likes to be near high 80% - 100% it's fine. If you want to keep it in low relative humidity you gotta acclimate it slowly.

OfflineMeneerCactus
Ex Operator FSRE
 User Gallery
Loc: The Low Lands
    #1127545 - 12/10/02 01:17 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Your humidity at 50% is the bare minimum for Salvia. That might be the problem. If I were you I'd put it in a tent....

High,
This is not true!
I never ever grown a salvia in a tent. They are on or infront of my cental heating system in winter time, I never mist and only water them when they tend to let their leaves down.
Even using fertilizer is not realy nessacary, I also grow on hydro and add nutitions 2 times a year.

Salvia is weed and will surfive a lot, if she gets time to addapt.
I lost more cacti then salvia in the last 5 years.

--------------------
"Millions of years of evolution just to .... light up a joint"

OfflineSalviaEngland
Omnipresence

Loc: Alternate Dimensions
Re: Salvia Problem!!!!! [Re: MeneerCactus]
    #1128144 - 12/10/02 08:14 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

From my experience I have found the following.......

For the best looking plants high humidity growing is the way to go, but it can lead to pests and fungal problems.

If plants are grown at lower humidity the most important factor is to provide a constant environment so it can adapt and then thrive. I feel the biggest problem when growing salvia is sudden changes in the environment. I don't think root rot should be a problem as long as the plants have adequate drainage. If the plants are over watered as long as it can drain away there shouldn't be any problems.

If you take a plant grown in high humidity and place it in a low humidity environment it will wilt within an hour and will not recover until the humidity is raised. Plants will need gradual acclimatisation to any change in environment and you should expect leafs to fall during this acclimatisation time.

--------------------

Cactus

OfflineMeneerCactus
Ex Operator FSRE
 User Gallery
Re: Salvia Problem!!!!! [Re: SalviaEngland]
    #1128592 - 12/10/02 11:17 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

High,
Nice info! Thanks.

So the best thing to aks for, when you get cuttings is:
how do you grow yours?

--------------------

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Re: Salvia Problem!!!!! [Re: MeneerCactus]
    #1128794 - 12/10/02 12:06 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

why are you replying to me? i didn't say any of that.

>>I never ever grown a salvia in a tent. They are on or infront of my cental heating system in winter time, I never mist and only water them when they tend to let their leaves down.
Even using fertilizer is not realy nessacary, I also grow on hydro and add nutitions 2 times a year.

all of this can be true as long as you've given it time to adapt to these conditions. That is the central theme of this entire thread.

Whoever it was that posted the initial question needs to adapt his plants to his 25% RH environment.

OfflineSalviaEngland
Omnipresence

#1128862 - 12/10/02 12:30 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I think he is just replying to the last post as I did.

Yes adaptation is the key, but some may find it difficult believing a tropical plant can survive a < 25% RH environment.

--------------------

Cactus

OfflineschmutzenS
King of the side-pins
 User Gallery

Loc: Miss Kitty's Lounge
    #1129036 - 12/10/02 01:28 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

i had the exact same problem about 3 months ago, you're doing the right thing by cutting off the goo. how old is your plant? if she's tall, try pruning most of the bottom leaves. how many hours of direct sunlight does she get? if it's only morning sun, i don't think that's enough. i found very diluted miracle grow with warm water once per week to have excellent results. i don't believe your plant has root rot, but may want to take a slip and start over. unless you're using a lot of sand, once a week watering should be plenty! the best way i found to get rid of bugs is to put her in the car, roll down the windows and go for drive. My plant was very sickly all summer until i brought her inside, i got her in april of this year. i would only reccommend using a tent for the first month if you buy mail order from a green house. my plant is in a 5 gallon pot, i used about half perlite(too much) and half potting soil, right now my house is cracker dry. i carry her to shower to mist with warm warm once per day, probably unecessary, but it's a labor of love. if you have a lot of house plants this is probably common knowledge, but it's also the most important part of this post. In winter, Fill The Drainage Resevoir with warm water Everyday . My Sally now has four large stalks and a few 9 inch leaves. She just asked when we can break out the empty six pack bottles and kittie pool, yeah yeah

--------------------

"Blow up your TV, throw away your paper.  Go to the country, build you a home."

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

#1129046 - 12/10/02 01:30 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

>>but some may find it difficult believing a tropical plant can survive a < 25% RH environment.

Well it's true damn it. Perhaps I will buy a baseball bat and engrave that information into the bat and go around beating people with the bat, in hopes that the information will have been beaten into their craniums

InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

#1129054 - 12/10/02 01:31 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

i also would like to borrow that bat. thanks.

--------------------

OfflineschmutzenS
King of the side-pins
 User Gallery

Loc: Miss Kitty's Lounge
Re: Salvia Problem!!!!! [Re: schmutzen]
    #1129063 - 12/10/02 01:33 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

forgot to mention one thing. i also used "Safer" brand Garden Fungicide, it may take a few weeks before you see results. i wish both well.

--------------------

"Blow up your TV, throw away your paper.  Go to the country, build you a home."

OfflineMeneerCactus
Ex Operator FSRE
 User Gallery
    #1129093 - 12/10/02 01:42 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

why are you replying to me? i didn't say any of that.

Sorry !

--------------------

Anonymous

#1130753 - 12/10/02 10:55 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

#1131276 - 12/11/02 08:00 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

we have experience in the same state  :smile:

--------------------

Offlinepsylo33o
enthusiast
    #1131552 - 12/11/02 10:30 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Hi everyone!!
Thanx for all the replies, sorry I didn't answer before, but I have problems getting on Internet nowdays..
Well, my plants were well acclimatised, getting from 80-90% to 50-60% on a peroid of one month, and it was more than one month that they were out of the terrarium ( no mushrooms in it). The one that lost a lot of leaves was 4 months old, 25-30 cm, two main stalks... she has lost nearly all the bottom leaves, and thez top ones seem to be stable.. misting 2 times a day, the goo seems to have stop it's advance, just the leaves that are brown/black at the edges... but that must be the change of mistings ( stopped for 3 days, and gradually getting up) and I just though of a thing, I guess the heating was turned on about the same time the plants started to have the problems, but I can't be sure... they are not right next to the heating, but about 4 m away, and my room isn't very big... Well, they seem to have stopped dying down, now lets see how they recover... thanx evryone..

--------------------
I am the holy spirit
I am whole in spirit

OfflineSalviaEngland
Omnipresence

#1131872 - 12/11/02 07:29 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Central heating can make a room very dry to help reduce this problem you can place a wet towel on the radiator or place a try of water over the radiator. Using hydroleca (lightweight clay aggregate) to cover the soil can help maintain a nice microclimate or even use a large try of hydroleca and place the pots on the surface. Just keep the hydroleca wet.

--------------------

Cactus

OfflineMillennium
GreenhouseTechnicianStudent
 User Gallery

Loc: north
    #5039485 - 12/09/05 01:21 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

throw it out sounds like a disease has it spread
never have wet leaves this will cause it water when ithe plant is dry not on a schedual

--------------------
when you expect nothing(the worst), anything is better (positive)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract