Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Loc: Chocolate City
water coolnig systems for PC's
    #4065872 - 04/17/05 03:52 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

are these any better than fan systems?

Even with a fan and a heat sink.. my puter overheats like a bitch.. and the fan is loud as all hell...

I thought I might give a water-cooling system for the CPU a try

anyone have any experience setting these up?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKodath
strangerThan

Re: water coolnig systems for PC's [Re: BrAiN]
    #4065985 - 04/17/05 04:48 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, they're much better than air cooling. They're not nearly as noisy and disperse a lot more heat than air could. I've never set one up, but I see kits all over for between $100-200 that include everything you need.

--------------------

Life: Main event at the MGM Grand. Murphy's fighting Occam, and you're in the stands.

InvisibleChikitta
Re: water coolnig systems for PC's [Re: Kodath]
    #4066189 - 04/17/05 06:07 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I'd say the very low noise is the only benefit. The cooling from a water block on your CPU is practically the same as a decent heatsink and fan. 3 or 4 80mm fans in your PC case is more than adequate cooling, even if you do a bit of overclocking.

The only downside to fans is the noise as you've already mentioned. They are pretty loud, but personally, I wouldn't want to spend $150ish on a water cooling system just to make the machine quiet.

OfflineKodath
strangerThan

Re: water coolnig systems for PC's [Re: Chikitta]
    #4066316 - 04/17/05 07:03 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

It's nowhere near the same as a heatsink and fan. A fan will only blow case-temperature air at the cpu, which is already 25-30C. Water cooling will take heat away from the cpu much faster than air, the temperature of the cpu should drop by at least 10-15C with a decent watercooling setup, if not more. Watercooling is more dangerous though, one small leak could easily destroy hardware.

That said if you're not planning on overclocking it there really isn't a point investing in watercooling, unless you're worried about noise. The computer should run just fine with a decent heat sink. The heat sinks that come with most CPU's aren't all that great, so if you don't mind the noise I'd just buy a better one for $20, and some thermal paste like Arctic Silver.

If you stick with air cooling the most important factor is air flow, make sure cables and such are tied back out of the way as much as possible and get the air to flow from the bottom front of the case to the top back.

--------------------

Life: Main event at the MGM Grand. Murphy's fighting Occam, and you're in the stands.

Offlinelackobreath
Cannabis Man
    #4066775 - 04/17/05 09:42 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

if you've got your stock heatsink and fan, then I'd say just get a good copper heatsink and arctic silver or ceramique...make sure you've got a really good contact between the die and the heatsink. and like everyone says, good air flow through your case. personally, i think you'd have to be pretty hardcore to get a water cooling system. my copper heatsink and ceramique dropped my overclocked CPU temp about 10C idle, and about 10C under load (at least when i've got my heatsink clean). total for those two things was about 30-35 with shipping, and it helped me overclock my CPU about 400mhz.

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Loc: Chocolate City
    #4066811 - 04/17/05 09:57 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Kodath said:
It's nowhere near the same as a heatsink and fan. A fan will only blow case-temperature air at the cpu, which is already 25-30C. Water cooling will take heat away from the cpu much faster than air, the temperature of the cpu should drop by at least 10-15C with a decent watercooling setup, if not more. Watercooling is more dangerous though, one small leak could easily destroy hardware.

That said if you're not planning on overclocking it there really isn't a point investing in watercooling, unless you're worried about noise. The computer should run just fine with a decent heat sink. The heat sinks that come with most CPU's aren't all that great, so if you don't mind the noise I'd just buy a better one for $20, and some thermal paste like Arctic Silver.

If you stick with air cooling the most important factor is air flow, make sure cables and such are tied back out of the way as much as possible and get the air to flow from the bottom front of the case to the top back.

meh.. I've got a p4 3.4 ghz... with a heat sink and a really annoying loud ass fan.. still overheats like a btich... random rebootnig and constant reboot fits... keeps telling me that overclocking failed even though I'm not overclocking. If I let the reboot fit go on.. it wno't boot up ever... but if I turn off the system and let it chill for 20 mins.. all goes well

I need to try something new... might go with the water cooling system.. maybe something small.. 70 bucks or so.. just to cover the CPU

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Re: water coolnig systems for PC's [Re: BrAiN]
    #4066883 - 04/17/05 10:27 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i would get something like this-
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-185-116&depa=0
before investing in water cooling if you just want to cool down your cpu. if you get quality fans noise is minimal. it would be a pointless cost and risk to get water if only for stock speeds. if you wanna oc you cpu and gpu then water is good, more than likely you wouldn't be able to get your cpu over 3.6 anyway if you got a prescott so basically it depends on your graphic card imo.

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

Offlinediscoabe
Stranger

Loc: Nevada
Re: water coolnig systems for PC's [Re: John]
    #4074010 - 04/19/05 07:10 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The reviews weren't very stellar on that cooler, i'd just get an all copper zalman or thermaltake. But remember, the fans can only cool the cpu to room temp, so if your room is hot it's not gonna help too much. I read an article on tomshardware where they cooled a cpu with liquid nitrogen and got it running to like 5ghz!! It was awesome, obviously not practical, but still awesome.

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Re: water coolnig systems for PC's [Re: discoabe]
    #4074069 - 04/19/05 07:24 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

reviews on newegg aren't pratical to go by as you don't know the situation and some people are just dumb. the guy prolly didn't use any thermal paste and his stock already had it there so he noticed the increase. then put the stock back on and it still had most of the paste so temps back down. i've used these for serveral friends computers and they work very well ime, good for hot running prescotts. never used the ones you recommend tho, they might be better. I was just saying try air before water for standard use.

BrAiN, if you have your little heart desired on setting up water cooling I can help you out. I've done a few and am currently working on another project. Stay away from water cooling kits! The best liquid kit they sell isn't as good as a quality air setup, and will run you well over $200. $70 to water cool your cpu is a little optimistic. If you want anything worth the time doing, and cooling that couldn't be accomplished for 1/4 the price via air, look to spend about $150-$200

http://cooltechnica.com/ is a good place to start. I'd recommend doing a lot of research before shelling out cash for liquid cooling. i.e. a $60 radiator made for computer liquid cooling cost 3x's as much as a 86' chevette heater core, that will outperform most computer made radiators and can be picked up for about $20 at an autoparts store. via 1300's cost $23 compared to other pumps around $40- (hundred$) and perform just as well. lots of stuff like that, just gotta research to save yourself from making costly stupid buys :stoned:

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom