Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery

Im watercooling my computer! opinions?
    #11413879 - 11/08/09 08:18 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

The pumps are Laing
reservoirs are 5-1/2" DVD drive slot, ones a double.
Radiators are 120mm X 480mm 

Its in a Mozart Tx HTPC.
2.2ghz AMD quadcore.Copper zalman waterblock

3- 3870 512 GPUs aluminum zalman waterblock.

and 8 gigs of ram 
on an ASUS M3A32-MVP

Does anyone see any foreseeable problems with the case?  The radiators above the reservoirs seems dumb to me but iv seen people doing it. What do you think?

Im planning on water cooling the ram aswell as the copper addition that comes on the asus board. The south bridge, north bridge and 2 ram slots are connected with copper heat pipes on the m3a32-mvp. So I figure Ill throw a waterblock or two on that aswell.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblefrith
God

Loc: Philadelphia, PA Flag
Re: Im watercooling my computer! opinions? [Re: Legoulash]
    #11415154 - 11/08/09 10:51 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

did you already buy all this stuff.

--------------------

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Im watercooling my computer! opinions? [Re: frith]
    #11416352 - 11/09/09 02:15 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

in my opinion watercooling isn't needed in most cases, and when it comes to the cpu, you don't even see a big enough increase in performance to justify the price, when compared tot he top end air systems they have out.  plus your cpu has a sweet spot for stability, and you get to a certain point and it doesn't matter how much cooler you get it, and you can hit this spot or get pretty dam close to it with just air.

anyways i believe pumps push the water, so it shouldn't matter where your resevior is....all i can say is that having them inside the case wouldn't exactly be my first choice but i know thats where alot of people put them i guess

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #11416769 - 11/09/09 04:41 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

> The radiators above the reservoirs seems dumb to me but iv seen people doing it.

Stacking radiators like you show is a bad move.  You might as well air cool instead, if that is your plan.

> Im planning on water cooling the ram aswell

Don't bother.  If you are worried, get ram with good heatsinks and put a fan on them.  The restricted flow caused by ram waterblocks isn't worth the hassle.

> Im planning on water cooling the ... south bridge, north bridge

Why are you bothering with the expense of watercooling if you are going with an obsolete product that still uses the north/south bridge architecture?  Regardless, it is a waste to watercool these chips, unless the board already has a waterblock built in.  Same goes for CPU mosfets.

Water cool your CPU and GPUs and air cool everything else.

> anyways i believe pumps push the water, so it shouldn't matter where your resevior is....

It is much easier to prime the system when the reservoir (assuming you have one, they aren't needed) is above the pump.

> all i can say is that having them inside the case wouldn't exactly be my first choice

As long as the hot exhaust blows out of the case, this isn't an issue, and is fairly common.  See pictures of the TJ07 for many examples.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblefrith
God

Re: Im watercooling my computer! opinions? [Re: Seuss]
    #11417875 - 11/09/09 10:42 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

i think you guys pretty much summed it up. water cooling is really not needed in 95% of the cases ive seen. just grab a couple good copper heatsinks and you should be fine. hell of a lot less work..

--------------------

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery

#11420231 - 11/09/09 04:37 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Sorry I put the radiators like that to simplify the example.  They will be side by side on the top of the case. blowing air out the top.

Why I started this project was to silence and dust proof my computer.  Which will include using large sheets of weather stripping like  material on the inside top to bottom.

This is my motherboard.
http://aberrantech.com/files/2007/10/asus-m3a-mvp-deluxe-wifi.jpg

The north and south bridge is connected to the ram with copper heat pipes.  So i figured I would throw a water block on that copper addition piece. 

Im wasting my time cooling these products because its what I have on hand and does everything I need out of it at this time. Plus im in school with nothing better to do :smirk:

thanks for the good words seuss

Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

Loc: 612 Warf Avenue, next to....
    #11420390 - 11/09/09 05:01 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

while the dust situation in my pc does suck (i have 2 indoor dogs), i have giant fans and a V8 heatsink for my cpu and i never hear any of them.  if dust elimination and silence is your goal u may look into the oil cooled pc, it was way overboard, but a really cool way to quietly cool an over the top pc.

--------------------
You are a filipina sex goddess who wants to fuck me until I fall asleep, so then you can tickle my balls and see if the legend of my diamond filled nutsuck is true.  I am a white man from costa rica, who smells like lime jello.

I can flash/jtag/repair 360's, pm for details.

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Im watercooling my computer! opinions? [Re: iateshaggy]
    #11420491 - 11/09/09 05:18 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I assure you I considered it.

InvisibleMinstrel
Man of Science
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hogtown
    #11420601 - 11/09/09 05:34 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Why would you stack the radiators?  The whole point is to maximize the working surface, isn't it?  By placing them one on the other, you effectively half your surface area.

Unless I'm missing some detail on their inter-relatedness (?)...

--------------------

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery

#11421713 - 11/09/09 07:59 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Rah said:
Sorry I put the radiators like that to simplify the example.  They will be side by side on the top of the case. blowing air out the top.

OfflineZed
Certified Insane
    #11438750 - 11/12/09 04:29 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I agree  that the only worthwhile purpose for watercooling is noise and wow factor.

Ive overclocked pretty much every new board/cpu ive bought over the past 8years or so, and every single one hit a bottleneck way before temps could ever affect anything..

Then again ive always paid a little extra for nice copper heatsinks.

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Valleys of Willamette Flag
Re: Im watercooling my computer! opinions? [Re: Zed]
    #11454441 - 11/14/09 03:06 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I love watercooling.  My PC is watercooled (check out my gallery).

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Im watercooling my computer! opinions? [Re: Zed]
    #11454681 - 11/14/09 03:44 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

> Ive overclocked pretty much every new board/cpu ive bought over the past 8years or so, and every single one hit a bottleneck way before temps could ever affect anything..

Did you ever figure out what you were doing wrong?  Done properly, heat will be your limiting factor in overclocking.  Done properly, water cooling will always outperform air cooling.  Done properly, a water cooled system will always overclock better than an air cooled system.

There is a reason beyond noise and wow factor for watercooling.  However, a lot can be said for quiet and wow.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11454832 - 11/14/09 04:05 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> Ive overclocked pretty much every new board/cpu ive bought over the past 8years or so, and every single one hit a bottleneck way before temps could ever affect anything..

Did you ever figure out what you were doing wrong?  Done properly, heat will be your limiting factor in overclocking.  Done properly, water cooling will always outperform air cooling.  Done properly, a water cooled system will always overclock better than an air cooled system.

There is a reason beyond noise and wow factor for watercooling.  However, a lot can be said for quiet and wow.

:thumbup:

Quiet and Wow are just bonuses to the fact that it dropped my temperatures nearly 50C on my graphics cards and over 35C on my CPU, under full load.

Don't forget the other bonus is a lot less dust in the system.  Since you don't have moving air over the circuits, you don't build up dust the way you'd normally build it up.  Over a year I've barely collected Any dust on my PC, only my water radiator collects dust (and can collect massive amounts if you let it.)

Invisiblelegallyhomeless
mooch
 User Gallery

Loc: EZRA for the Refuge
Re: Im watercooling my computer! opinions? [Re: Maverick]
    #11455336 - 11/14/09 05:42 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

wish they made smaller units. I would hook up my media pc with it

--------------------
MY TRADE LIST!!!

FULLY AUTOMATIC!! 12-Pot Multi Grow Hydroponic System for Trade.

Download PSX ISOs

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #11458067 - 11/15/09 03:54 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:

were talking about stable overclocking here tho, sure you can crank shit up to insane numbers but will it pass all the stability tests?  no, will it run winda's....maybe...for how long or when your hard drive becomes corrupt?

were not disputing that water will cool better, what were disputing is if its needed...especially when price is considered.

in otherwords...you can't just crank some random cpu chip to 8ghz as long as you keep it cool and even if you did how long would you be able to keep it running like that.  cpu's have limitations, and with the top end air systems you get close enough.

if im wrong prove it and i might just buy a water system, but the last time i went researching into water cooling i never found any useful data from good sources like tomshardware.  the other places didn't even show very good results and then never posted the stability tests, which is what its all about for me.  i don't care how high i can crank it, i only care about how high it can go and pass the tests. 

lastly, to maverick thats the first time ive ever seen cpu numbers at 13C on water... did you drop your vcore or dump ice in the water or something, those are some insane results depending on the chip. altho i guess the real question is, when you tell us how much it dropped tho. is what kind of air cooling were you using, which most likely was stock.  think the lowest ive seen on air on my computers was 30-35C, right now im around 45 with stock air on my I7.  i always had water pegged at around 10C for benifits so your at like 17C

--------------------

OfflineHarold Hole
suck my substrate
 User Gallery

Re: Im watercooling my computer! opinions? [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #11458596 - 11/15/09 07:45 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

My intel q9550 (eo stepping) needed water cooling to pass 3.8 ghz, and break past 4.0ghz.  My temps with a zerotherm nirvana tower with great airflow were reaching the low 50's, but with a custom loop,mostly swifttech, i can hit 4.2 totally stable in prime 95 and everest, while keeping temps under control.(28-32 idle, 38-42 loaded)  The performance gain's weren't mind blowing, but it defenitly got me better scores in 3d mark and furmark.(to an enthusiast it's worth it)  I would also like to add that a lot of people not only liquid cool for temps, but to acheive a completely silent cooling solution.  Having a bunch of fans blaring wide open can seriously be really loud. Also high temps=instability so keeping them low may prevent hitting a brick wall due to high temps.  My rad is custom mounted on machined stand off's on top of my machine, i use a 5.25 bay res, swiftech 355b pump, swiftech nb black,and 1/2 " tubes.  Also, asthetically its a monster....:wink:  If you are going to cool your n/b you better make sure that the block you are going to use is not going to restrict the flow in your loop, as many do.(cooling the n/b leads to very minimal performance gains, i just got my nb block for free, and it's non resrictive) The res being higher than the pump doesn't matter at all.  Make sure you get all the air outta your rad, and your loop as a whole, or your loop will be very innefective.  Are you using coolant, or distilled water/water wetter?

--------------------

Edited by Harold Hole (11/15/09 07:54 AM)

OfflineHarold Hole
suck my substrate
 User Gallery

#11458624 - 11/15/09 08:01 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
>

Why are you bothering with the expense of watercooling if you are going with an obsolete product that still uses the north/south bridge architecture?  Regardless, it is a waste to watercool these chips, unless the board already has a waterblock built in.  Same goes for CPU mosfets.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, as all boards have nb/sb.  Nb is the integrated memory controller while the s/b is the integrated board control(for slower functions).  Why don't you link me to a board that doesn't have north and south bridge?  I'm thinking you'll have a hard time lol

--------------------

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11575997 - 12/03/09 10:40 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

makaveli8x8 said:
Quote:

Seuss said:

were talking about stable overclocking here tho, sure you can crank shit up to insane numbers but will it pass all the stability tests?  no, will it run winda's....maybe...for how long or when your hard drive becomes corrupt?

were not disputing that water will cool better, what were disputing is if its needed...especially when price is considered.

in otherwords...you can't just crank some random cpu chip to 8ghz as long as you keep it cool and even if you did how long would you be able to keep it running like that.  cpu's have limitations, and with the top end air systems you get close enough.

if im wrong prove it and i might just buy a water system, but the last time i went researching into water cooling i never found any useful data from good sources like tomshardware.  the other places didn't even show very good results and then never posted the stability tests, which is what its all about for me.  i don't care how high i can crank it, i only care about how high it can go and pass the tests. 

lastly, to maverick thats the first time ive ever seen cpu numbers at 13C on water... did you drop your vcore or dump ice in the water or something, those are some insane results depending on the chip. altho i guess the real question is, when you tell us how much it dropped tho. is what kind of air cooling were you using, which most likely was stock.  think the lowest ive seen on air on my computers was 30-35C, right now im around 45 with stock air on my I7.  i always had water pegged at around 10C for benifits so your at like 17C

Actually, I just opened my window and cooled my room down to around that temperature.  I was freezing my balls off in my room, but to get a temperature reading of 7C was well worth it.  :3
Air cooling would not have been even close to that good, as the internal temp of the PC case was at 28C alone from just the heat off the NB/SB chipset.  I've got a Lian Li V2000B, so airflow heat dissipates well through the holes, it's not just sitting in there.  If you put your hand to the back top of the PC you can feel heat pouring off the motherboard and VRAM(DDR4 or 5 in my case) and VRM heatsinks.  You have to take into consideration how all the ambient heat will take effect inside of an air-cooled PC.  Even with adequate airflow, your fans are going to pull in pre-warmed air from chips on the motherboard, any chips around it, and itself.  RAM even produces heat that can disturb the cool incoming flow of air.
I don't know how much heat they recycle from their own cooling process (when they pull in air that was already used to cool, and is now warm) but I imagine it's quite a bit, with watercooling, you remove that factor completely, you're taking the heat and dropping it elsewhere, not inside the case.

There are definitely multiple walls to Overclocking besides heat, it's just nice to remove heat as an element that can cause actual physical harm to your PC (I've burnt chips).

Quote:

legallyhomeless said:
wish they made smaller units. I would hook up my media pc with it

Check out what they have to offer, you don't have to go with fat 1/2" tubing, you can go with 3/8" external, or even 1/4" external, you just have to custom build your water cooling kit, choose your water blocks yourself from water cooling enthusiast sites, and specify you want the smaller tubing.  It's best to build your own Custom water cooling system anyway, it's a means to ensure that you have all the same metal (copper), and no aluminum parts in your loop.  Aluminum galvanizes with copper, and corrodes the copper, it's also not as efficient with heat transfer as copper.

Edited by DRTMaverick (12/03/09 10:52 AM)

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #11576757 - 12/03/09 01:17 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

yah air isn't very good at going below ambient temps thats for sure but its kinda shady to be talking about low temps in here when you had to cheat to get that number, gotta give you props for admiting it tho:thumbup:, there is one thing you overlooked however, air may draw in heat from surrounding parts, but it also blows it OUT of the case.  if your using strickly watercooling and no fans, then you will have trapped heat in your case from anything that you don't have a waterblock on.  I myself use a HAF 932 so my case is like a block of swiss cheese with fans the size of my head, heat doesn't stay inside it for very long.

its also not just heat, but also overclocking/overvolting can cause physical damage as well.  and as for heat, a top of the line air cooling system will keep it well within its specs unless your trying to break OC records.

--------------------

OfflineHarold Hole
suck my substrate
 User Gallery

#11576924 - 12/03/09 01:53 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Thought id post a few pics of my rig, going to sell it and upgrade soon, still pretty badass though.

intel c2q 9650@4.22ghz rock solid
8 gb mushkin pc 8500
wd black 1 tb hd for storage
2x150gb wd velociraptor in raid 0 (os/games)
evga 285 gtx graphics card 1gb(used to have two 4870's in x fire)
sunbeam transformer atx full case
lite on 20x dl dvd burner w/lightscribe
scythe digital 4 fan controller
silverstone 1 channel fan controller
80mm intake fans are industrial grade silverstone
cold cathode lights
ultra 750 watt psu
wireless b/g/n
bluetooth
asus 24" 1080p lcd
logitech revolution wireless mouse
ms wireless k/b 6000

all fans/liquid loop full custom

swiftech 355b pump, xspc 5.25 bay reservoir, fesser xchanger double radiator configured in push pull,swiftech apogee gtz cpu block,swiftech nb block for asus,1/2"tubes,custom machined standoffs, scythe kazemaster and 3 cooler master fans on the radiator, uv anti kink coils, pass through set up

sorry pics are crap my camera hates low light

--------------------

Edited by Harold Hole (12/03/09 04:03 PM)

Invisiblefrith
God

Re: Im watercooling my computer! opinions? [Re: Harold Hole]
    #11577207 - 12/03/09 02:41 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

pretty nice setup.

i really dont like water cooling or cathode lights. that just me..

i like my cases really big but not over the top.

i have a coolermaster stacker case. 11 5.25" bays down the front:

for cooling i have a simple zalman copper heat sink.

--------------------

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11578669 - 12/03/09 06:00 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I had that zalman.  Performance wise it's crap compared to water.  :3  They need a new solution to air cooling that won't push so much dust into the motherboard and chipset and heatsink.

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #11578711 - 12/03/09 06:05 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

a good case with filters helps which then your computer doubles as a air cleaner :smile:, but they also have some other technologys out there, i think some of them  you gotta plug in or something and somehow they get cold, havn't done much research on them tho

--------------------

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11578836 - 12/03/09 06:19 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I already have filters on the water rad.  :3

Invisiblefrith
God

#11579012 - 12/03/09 06:38 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

im sure water gets it cooler than that heatsink. if it runs stable and at acceptable temps then its fine.

i just dont think water is necessary in 95% of systems. its just overkill.

--------------------

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11579093 - 12/03/09 06:49 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I think watercooling is the future of computer cooling, I mean look how big heatsinks are getting for non-enthusiast users.

Invisiblefrith
God

#11579129 - 12/03/09 06:53 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DRTMaverick said:
I think watercooling is the future of computer cooling, I mean look how big heatsinks are getting for non-enthusiast users.

right but temps and power consumption are going down even as speed increases.

look at the P4 vs C2D.

--------------------

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #11579233 - 12/03/09 07:03 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i have to disagree, temps are going up as things get smaller. altho admittedly we are doing more now.  if we used our technology we have today, to create a PII from a decade ago then yes it would be much cooler, but instead we have slapped on 3 more cores and 2x as fast processors

i think something other than air is the future, but the future is about a decade away :shrug:

the only thing close to needing water is the gpu's

i also have to disagree about the heatsinks tho, my PII heatsink is 2x as big as my I7 heatsink...as far as stock heatsinks go

--------------------

Invisiblefrith
God

#11579334 - 12/03/09 07:18 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

makaveli8x8 said:
i have to disagree, temps are going up as things get smaller. altho admittedly we are doing more now.  if we used our technology we have today, to create a PII from a decade ago then yes it would be much cooler, but instead we have slapped on 3 more cores and 2x as fast processors

power consumption comparison:
P4 = 1.336V
C2 Extreme = 1.240V
Source:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-cpu-power-consumption,1750.html

Quote:

makaveli8x8 said:
i also have to disagree about the heatsinks tho, my PII heatsink is 2x as big as my I7 heatsink...as far as stock heatsinks go

evidence of both cooler cpus and better heatsinks.

--------------------

OfflineHarold Hole
suck my substrate
 User Gallery

#11579882 - 12/03/09 08:41 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I couldn't even get my 9650 to 3.8 on air without hitting 60 degrees and i had a zerotherm nirvana, one of the best air coolers around, with massive airflow in an atx full tower.  Now at almost 4.3 ghz I'm at 28-32 idle 40-42 load rock solid(74f room temp).  When I feel like sitting and tuning some more i think i will hit 4.5 with this chip and this cooling setup.  Overclocking on air is super lame.  obviously if you're running stock clocks and doing little more than browsing the net, and don't mind the noise of your cooler then water is not for you, but for me there is no other options.

--------------------

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #11579891 - 12/03/09 08:42 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

better heatsinks sure, but a lower voltage doesn't mean it runs cooler.

voltage is just one little factor, its the wattage you wanna look at.  looking at celerons some of them have a 1.75 voltage but only draw 65 watts.

yet some of the newer processors only have a 1.22 voltage yet use 150 to 170 watts.

http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm

thats a nice list, and there's not a real consistant flow to it other than the older processors are typically around 65 watts, whereas the newer ones are over 100 watts.  with most of the highend ones running around 140 watts.

lastly, i don't need any charts to tell me that my gpu's have been getting increasingly hotter over time, my 4890 being a great example of that.  all in all, its pretty well known that as you get smaller and cram things together and run things faster they will run hotter.

--------------------

OfflineHarold Hole
suck my substrate
 User Gallery

#11579903 - 12/03/09 08:44 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

frith said:
pretty nice setup.

i really dont like water cooling or cathode lights. that just me..

i like my cases really big but not over the top.

i have a coolermaster stacker case. 11 5.25" bays down the front:

Im not sure how having that many 5.25 bays is an advantage.  i have a reservoir and a dvd burner, used to also have a second dvd drive which is 3, now i just have the drive and the res so thats 2 and its all i can use.  what  would you even put in those bays 10 dvd drives lmao

--------------------

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #11579955 - 12/03/09 08:54 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

if its like my HAF 932, those drive bays double as air intake, they are made of swiss cheese.  but there's all kinda of cool shit you can put in there, but the main advantage is being about to put something "where" you wanna put it.  some people like stuff up top, some like it down low, depending on where you have your case, mine i have at waist level when you stand up, so i like my drives down low so i can reach them, then that leaves empty spaces up top for heat to come out of easier

lastly, most people consider the stacker one of the best well designed cases around. which i think was the main reason he mentioned it.

--------------------

Edited by makaveli8x8 (12/03/09 08:56 PM)

OfflineHarold Hole
suck my substrate
 User Gallery

#11580021 - 12/03/09 09:04 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah i guess although besides a res, a dvd drive, and a fan controller, what else is there?(most card readers are 3.5") Also the cm does not have grilled covers, they're solid so unless you want huge open unfiltered air intake thats not gonna work without buying vented grills.  Not to mention you have to put your hd's somewhere, and there is fixated cage inside the cm stacker,pinned into that bay area. so it may not be as easily adaptable as it seems.  It doesn't seem to be a very good raid case for multiple hd,s as there is just the one cage to fit a few in.(i read reviews on newegg of people having to buy additional hard drive brackets) I also enjoy a windowed case so i can show people the machines internals without opening it.  I also don't want open intake as i have a high directional airflow going and don't want to interupt it.

--------------------

Invisiblefrith
God

#11580035 - 12/03/09 09:06 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

hinderpits said:
Im not sure how having that many 5.25 bays is an advantage.  i have a reservoir and a dvd burner, used to also have a second dvd drive which is 3, now i just have the drive and the res so thats 2 and its all i can use.  what  would you even put in those bays 10 dvd drives lmao

like makaveli8x8 said, i can put stuff where i want it and i have 8 hard drives in there. total is about 4.5TB.

i have two power supplys running it.

i really dont use it as a desktop anymore. its really become just a combination web server, ftp server, file server, dedicated bittorrent and irc machine.

i just use my thinkpad and use ssh to use the other machines. i dont have a real need for gui applications. im fine running everything from a command line.

--------------------

Invisiblefrith
God

#11580048 - 12/03/09 09:08 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

hinderpits said:
Also the cm does not have grilled covers, they're solid so unless you want huge open unfiltered air intake thats not gonna work.

it does have grilled cover on the front. the removable face for each bay is a metal mesh with a filter behind each one.

i use metal mounting brackets for the extra drives that dont fit into the cage.

--------------------

Edited by frith (12/03/09 09:09 PM)

OfflineHarold Hole
suck my substrate
 User Gallery

#11580130 - 12/03/09 09:20 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Thats cool, not trying to dog your case man, cm makes some sick stuff.  i didn't see the filtered grills, all the reviews i read said they were solid aluminum. I do enjoy the advantage of 6 hard drive bays on my machine.  I find it very useful for running raid, i used to have 4 74 gb raptors in raid 0 and 2 data drives so they came in handy and i didn't have to buy/use adapters. 

--------------------

Invisiblefrith
God

#11580159 - 12/03/09 09:24 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

ahh..

yeah i really like it.

i dont do any pc gaming at all. never saw a need for water cooling and/or over clocking.

in your situation youd probably need it.

i just hack around my linux boxes..

--------------------

OfflineHarold Hole
suck my substrate
 User Gallery

#11580185 - 12/03/09 09:26 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah i play a lot of games at max settings on my 60 inch 1080 p tv so oc'ing and graphic power were high on my list.  Playing dragon age origins and cod mw 2 right now.  I also do some folding when i have time.  Good to see some other techs on the shroomery.

--------------------

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11580700 - 12/03/09 10:49 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

frith said:
Quote:

makaveli8x8 said:

power consumption comparison:
P4 = 1.336V
C2 Extreme = 1.240V
Source:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-cpu-power-consumption,1750.html

Quote:

makaveli8x8 said:

evidence of both cooler cpus and better heatsinks.

Evidence that heatsinks aren't getting smaller is the fact that they are releasing 1lb heatsinks for quadcore CPUs.  1 pound plus actually.

The heaviest heatsink is the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme (TRUE) Copper edition heatsink, and was released in 2008 I believe.  It weighs over 4lb.
They might be getting more efficient, but not smaller.  That zalman is monsterous, I never cooled anything with that size until around the release of quads.  P4's just produce too much heat.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies