Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Toilet Paper

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebunnyjon
Monster Bunny
 User Gallery

Help identify please - for fun
    #4043577 - 04/12/05 01:32 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I found these a couple days past their prime. I don't intend to eat them, but I thought I'd see what y'all think just for fun.

Habitat: Maintained, lush, grass lawn in Oahu, Hawaii.
Cap size: Silver-dollar size for cone-shapped, not opened; sand dollar- sized for opened caps.
Stem: Thick, dime width average, some smaller, some wider; hollow on inside
Spore print: I think all the spore are dropped, but I am taking a print
More description: See the pics

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Help identify please - for fun [Re: bunnyjon]
    #4043594 - 04/12/05 01:41 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Spore print color will be very important.

A white spore print will mean they are Lepiotas, near Lepiota rachodes.

A greenish spore print will mean they are Chlorophyllum molybdites, a very nasty poisonous mushroom.

You should also cut one in half vertically, then scrape the inside with your knife edge and watch the color changes for a few minutes. Do they turn brown right away (within a few seconds) or do they turn a bright orangish or pinkish?

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinebunnyjon
Monster Bunny
 User Gallery

Re: Help identify please - for fun [Re: ToxicMan]
    #4043607 - 04/12/05 01:46 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Hey that's a interesting tip. I tried it and they turn brown right away.

What does that mean? Thanks

Offlinebunnyjon
Monster Bunny
 User Gallery

#4043622 - 04/12/05 01:52 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I found this on Chlorophyllum molybdites, so maybe that is what I found, since the weather here, per usual is warm:

The poisonous green-spored Chlorophyllum molybdites looks strikingly similar to L. rachodes and sometimes even stains dull orange. Apparently, the C. molybdites prefers warm weather and lawns, whereas L. rachodes prefers cool rains and woodland environments, but always be cautious when collecting this mushroom.

Offlinebunnyjon
Monster Bunny
 User Gallery

#4043702 - 04/12/05 02:25 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

OK. Here is more information I am posting b/c it is interesting, and confirms that Chlorophyllum molybdites is common in Hawaii. This is by by Michael W. Beug at Evergreen State College. I won't post anymore unless some asks more questions.

Chlorophyllum molybdites, the Green-spored Lepiota, is a very frequent cause of severe mushroom poisoning, especially in and near Colorado, on the eastern seaboard, in the Southeast and in Southern California and Hawaii where it is a common inhabitant of suburban lawns. It is intentionally collected by some people who report that it is a fine edible when very well cooked. Before the spores develop and the gills turn greenish, Chlorophyllum molybdites is readily mistaken for choice edible Lepiota species including Lepiota rachodes and Lepiota procera. Young children out grazing in the yard also commonly eat Chlorophyllum molybdites. Just one or two bites can cause violent vomiting and severe diarrhea beginning one to three or four hours after consumption. Other common symptoms include nausea, sweating, cold and clammy feeling, cramps, and low blood pressure. Atypical muscarinic symptoms have been observed but could be due to contamination by pesticides. The rare patient experiences gastrointestinal hemorrhage and bloody diarrhea. Children are at risk of dehydration and hypovolemic shock. There is one report of a child who died following the development of seizures 17 hours after consuming the mushroom. Interestingly, most people who cook it thoroughly find Chlorophyllum molybdites to be a good edible species, though they may be eating an edible Lepiota that they had misidentified as Chlorophyllum molybdites. If you are one of the people who eat Chlorophyllum molybdites, you still should not feed the mushroom to a young child whose defense mechanisms are not as fully developed or use it in a meal served to others who may prove to be susceptible.

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
    #4044305 - 04/12/05 05:51 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Ya I've been poisoned by shrooms just like that growing aside Cuensis in a pasture back when I was a novice picker...Below is some more info taken from www.mushroomjohn.com.

"Another example of misidentification involves Chlorophyllum molybdites, a species commonly referred to as "green gills" or "Morgans" Lepiota. As the nick-name implies, the gills of this species are green. This occurs with age. This mushroom is rather large with a scaly cap which resembles a parasol. This species is common in manured fields, meadows and lawns and does not grow directly in manure but may be found in manured fields where cattle and water buffalo graze.

According to Stephen Peele, curator of the Florida Mycology Research Center, it is often picked and accidently consumed in Florida; usually mistaken for Psilocybe cubensis (personal communication to J.W. Allen). Chlorophyllum molybdites is considered toxic but not deadly.

Peele also claimed that in Tampa, Florida, over 90% of all mushroom poisonings were the result of accidently consuming specimens of C. molybdites which were mistaken for Psilocybe cubensis.

While two children in California developed a "mydriasis-fever-convulsions" syndrome after ingesting mushrooms taken from a lawn habitat, another in the state of Washington was reported to have died due to complications following the suspected consumption of hallucinogenic mushrooms. Also, three children were reportedly mildly poisoned after accidentally grazing on lawn specimens of Panaeolina foenisecii (a non-hallucinogenic mushroom). Later investigations of Panaeoliuna foenisecii by Allen and Merlin (1992b), reported that this species is not psychoactive.
"

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #4044777 - 04/12/05 10:27 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

A white spore print and immediate brown bruising reaction would indicate Lepiota brunnea, another poisonous species that is not as poisonous as Chlorophyllum molybdites. Lepiota rachodes will bruise yellow to pinkish orange first before turning brown.

There are reports of some people being able to eat Chlorophyllum molybdites, but I suspect that the difference is genetic, not the result of thorough cooking. The poisoning symptoms are so unpleasant that you shouldn't try any to find out. Eating a piece the size of a fingernail is enough to get you a long evening in an emergency room.

Lepiota rachodes is considered an excellent edible, but be absolutely sure of your identification.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinebunnyjon
Monster Bunny
 User Gallery

Re: Help identify please - for fun [Re: ToxicMan]
    #4045560 - 04/12/05 01:58 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Well, cubes don't grow wild in Hawaii, so hopefully no one has picked one of these bad boys thinking they were cubes.

Two of them have greenish gills. The others are off-white or light brown. There are no spores left, or else they are hiding. I read that the spores of Chlorophyllum molybdites can be difficult to find.

So my guess is there is a good chance they are Chlorophyllum molybdites. I was never thinking of eating them, but it was fun to identify them. Thanks for the help!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Toilet Paper

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification