Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Garden State(NJ) Flag
Ga. High School to Pay Student Informants
    #4040499 - 04/11/05 10:16 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Apr 11, 10:37 AM EDT here

Ga. High School to Pay Student Informants

ROME, Ga. (AP) -- A high school is looking for a few good snitches. Using revenue from its candy and soda sales, Model High School plans to pay up to $100 for information about thefts and drug or gun possession on campus.

"It's not that we feel there are any problems here," said Principal Glenn White. "It's a proactive move for getting information that will help deter any sort of illegal activity."

Under the new policy, a student would receive $10 for information about a theft on campus, $25 or $50 for information about drug possession, and $100 for information about gun possession or other serious felonies.

Informants will not receive the reward if they are involved in the crime, White said.

At nearby Rome High School, there is no similar program because students there have a rapport with officials and are comfortable providing information, said Superintendent Gayland Cooper.

"We feel the reward is the kids knowing they have a safe school," Cooper said.

The idea for the program came from Kell High School in Marietta, an Atlanta suburb. There, student tips earlier this year led to the arrest of a classmate who had brought a handgun to school.

No Model High students have received the reward yet, but some questioned the logic behind it. Jaime Parris, a senior, said that most students already would tell faculty about anything that threatened student safety.

"But if it's not going to hurt other people, I don't think many people are going to tell on their friends," she said.

? 2005 The Associated Press.

--------------------

"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb. BTW ...
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: Ga. High School to Pay Student Informants [Re: vinsue]
    #4040529 - 04/11/05 10:25 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Saw this bullshit this morning...it's such bullshit.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
    #4040661 - 04/11/05 10:51 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

wow, the school board must really have zero respect for these kids if they think they will take them up on the offer.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Ga. High School to Pay Student Informants [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4040745 - 04/11/05 11:08 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Under the new policy, a student would receive $10 for information about a theft on campus, $25 or $50 for information about drug possession, and $100 for information about gun possession or other serious felonies.

So what is so bad about this? It isn't like they are forcing students to give urine samples or strip searching them at the entrance to the school... They aren't even bringing in 'fake' students to entrap the real students... how is this any different than crime stoppers or a neighborhood watch program?

The only downside I see is if students start setting up other students to get a reward. I could see myself at that age planting a bag of drugs on somebody else that I didn't like to turn them in and get a reward... of course, if somebody does this too often it will become obvious what is going on.

Help me out here... what is the issue? Perhaps there is one and I am missing it.

> the school board must really have zero respect for these kids if they think they will take them up on the offer

I am still confused. If student A steals something from student B resulting in student C turning the theft in for a reward, does not everybody win? If a student has a gun on campus, would you fault another for turning them? I would much rather be a 'snitch' than have yet another school shooting to deal with.

The one assumption I made about all of this is that the rewards/crimes would be limited to on school property and activities only. If the school is getting involved in activities outside of the school, then I agree, it is not right... but as long as all they are trying to do is keep the school a safer place, I have no problem at all.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: Ga. High School to Pay Student Informants [Re: Seuss]
    #4040761 - 04/11/05 11:11 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

It's preaching a brand of society that's based on paranoia-rewarded-in-cash, it just seems completely wrong. The idea of paying the students to do this...there's got to be some sort of ethical breach there.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

#4040821 - 04/11/05 11:25 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

OneMore sums it up fairly well, offering students who betray the trust of other students cash rewards is just not right. In fact I can see it causing more violence. Case in point:

Students A and B have weed on them for whatever reason. Student C finds out and informs school authorities, student C receives 50 bucks. Students A and B are expelled and are pretty upset, they find out student C sold them out...

If they wish to crack down on school violence, I bet they can find a better solution.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Ga. High School to Pay Student Informants [Re: gdman]
    #4040862 - 04/11/05 11:41 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

> offering students who betray the trust of other students cash rewards is just not right

What trust? If this were limited to guns and weapons in the school and not drugs, would you feel differently? It isn't as if things change once you get out of school... if I see somebody steal my neighbors car, I am going to call the police, no question about it. Again, maybe I am missing something obvious, but I don't see the 'wrongness' in the program... to me it is no different than crime-stoppers or the like... the only difference is the community is the school, not the neighborhood.

I guess I can see it from the "we are teaching our kids to be snitches" standpoint... but again, if we take drugs out of the picture, is this a bad thing?

> I bet they can find a better solution.

Random locker searches, random bag searches, drug sniffing dogs, police on campus, urine samples for drug use, blood tests for drug use, etc... *shiver* This is the "bad" stuff... welcome to the police state, now please bend over so I can check for contraband... I would much rather see children learning to police themselves than see them forced to endure this kind of stuff.

Lets put it another way... ask your average high school student which they would rather have... random locker and bag searches through-out the year or a crime-stopper type program where snitches get a reward (based upon conviction, etc). My guess is most students would take the later option... but then, I haven't been in highschool in a long time, so I may be out of touch.

--------------------

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

#4040880 - 04/11/05 11:46 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Good point, the only thing that really bothers me is the drug issue, but then again, yeah good point. I guess if we where to choose one or the other, I'd rather have that than the alternative.

--------------------

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#4040890 - 04/11/05 11:48 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

If kids were smart they wouldn't bring guns or drugs to school, and save it for when they are off campus. I guess I can see where this is handy. The ones that bring that shit into school probably deserve what's coming them.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Ga. High School to Pay Student Informants [Re: DNKYD]
    #4041335 - 04/11/05 02:11 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

> Good point ...

Drats, now I have to switch sides...

> The ones that bring that shit into school probably deserve what's coming them.

What about the kids that are setup by somebody else... it isn't too hard to slip a baggie of meth into somebodies locker and then head down to the office to turn them in for a reward. This could get really ugly, really quickly...

Also, how long before the school starts to use this to police "off campus" activities. Turn your friends in at the mall, and get a reward from the school. Turn your parents in and get a reward from the school. Lets all sit back and let the school brainwash our children into becoming state sponsored informants. If we get them used to this treatment as children, it isn't so hard to require drug testing, travel papers, etc as adults.

Wouldn't it be a better use of our money to teach children the dangers of stealing, the dangers of drug use, the downside of antisocial behavior, rather than teaching them to get rich at somebody elses expense?

Welcome to 1984.

--------------------

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

#4041881 - 04/11/05 04:30 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Playin devils advocate, eh? :grin:

--------------------

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
    #4042201 - 04/11/05 05:34 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

My problem with it lies in the fact that students are going to get PAID.
If someone has a fucking firearm at school, you shouldn't have to be induced by a reward to say something about it.

LEO shouldn't have to do it (offer rewards for information) either.
It's cynical, and has so much potential for abuse i'm amazed they even thought of implementing it.
Not to mention, like you mused, how far could this extend?

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

OfflineFirstAvailable
enthusiast
 User Gallery

#4042287 - 04/11/05 06:01 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The Nazis and the communists did this.

They started with getting kids to snitch on other kids to school officials. They would bribe them with money, tasty treats, toys, and just plain praise. Then eventually it escalated, and kids would snitch on people outside of school, even their parents.

Little Boris is hungry, he would love some tasty treat. However, Little Borris's dad doesn't have money to buy tasty treats, because he works his ass off in a shoe factory and barely makes enough to put food on the table. But the dad is not too upset, he is still happy to be alive, and often jokes about his predicament in order to keep spirits up. However, the officials don't like people joking about such things, and offer school children small rewards in exchange for information about people telling such jokes. Little Boris decides to take them up on this offer and tells his teacher about how his daddy likes to tell jokes about Comrade Stalin, and about food shortages, and about bread lines, and about working long hours in grueling conditions for little pay. The teacher praises Little Boris for being a good comrade, and gives him some tasty chocolate. Little Boris is happy. The next day, Little Borris's dad doesn't come home from the shoe factory. Little Boris no longer has a daddy.

Imagine this, Little Timmy wants a new toy, but daddy wont give him money for it. So Little Timmy go's down to the principles office and tells how daddy grows shrooms in the closet. Now Little Timmy has $50 to go buy his new toy. Unfortunately, Little Timmy no longer has a daddy. Daddy now lives in a big building with murderers, rapists, and thieves.

Offlinehobgoblin
Stranger
    #4042814 - 04/11/05 08:17 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:

Welcome to 1984.

"It was almost normal for people over thirty to be frightened of their
own children. And with good reason, for hardly a week passed in which
The Times did not carry a paragraph describing how some eavesdropping
little sneak - 'child hero' was the phrase generally used - had overheard
some compromising remark and denounced its parents to the Thought Police."

~ 1984 by George Orwell

I would argue some kind of slippery slope as the danger of paying students to inform on one another. It normalizes tattling.

On the other hand, if you bring drugs or guns to school, you are asking for trouble. Very stupid things to do.

--------------------
Seek not to rationalize hobgoblins. ~ Yeats

OfflineFirstAvailable
enthusiast
 User Gallery

#4042908 - 04/11/05 08:42 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

yea, but most kids buy their drugs at school.

Think about it. Kids are going to use drugs. either they get them from other kids at school, or from strangers on the street. What would you rather see?

Also, my fear is not about kids taking drugs and weapons to school getting in trouble, I'm afraid that snitches will start telling on people outside of school to school officials.

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
Re: Ga. High School to Pay Student Informants [Re: FirstAvailable]
    #4046360 - 04/12/05 02:37 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

there is something inherently wrong with this system they are putting in. Back in highschool me and my friends would always talk about weed, or a friend would tell us about a shroom trip he had, general drug talk. What if some little weasel bastard of a kid over heard us talk about drugs are then went to tell the teacher or principal? Automatically they would assume we may have drugs on us and needles hassles would arise, and they would look at us different from then on. Heh, I can imagine the school having a 'black list' of students who are 'likely' to bring drugs or weapons to school. Bah, this is just not right, it completely undermines the learning environment.

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
    #4054842 - 04/14/05 01:14 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Floyd County the county that Rome is in has the largest cop to citizen ratio. Its a bad county to drive thru they soley make their money on tickets.

Second of all offering rewards to kids to bust drug offenders is the most disgusting thing and is strictly forbidden in the constitution.

These kids will most likely rat on their enemies for rewards and set people up.

OfflineFirstAvailable
enthusiast
 User Gallery

#4055073 - 04/14/05 02:02 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Where in the constitution is it forbidden?

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: Ga. High School to Pay Student Informants [Re: FirstAvailable]
    #4060619 - 04/15/05 08:58 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag