Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Hemp, Morning Glory Seeds, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleveggie

Flower Seeds Land Student in Hospital
    #3885488 - 03/08/05 02:20 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Flower Seeds Land Student in Hospital
March 7, 2005
7online.com

Teenagers on Long Island find a new way to get high using a common gardening product. They are turning to flower seeds, Morning Glory seeds to be exact. They act as hallucinogenics when ingested in massive amounts.

That's how adults were tipped off: When teens starting buying large quantities of seeds.

An East Hampton High School student was hospitalized after ingesting a large amount of Morning Glory seeds. Students we spoke with say it's unfortunate because he is artistic and smart but he just made a bad decision.

Kyle White, Student: "I just think it's a mistake he did in his life that he's probably going to regret. Pretty dangerous. I've never really heard about them until that, though."

Packets of the seeds are available at garden supply stores and hardware stores, and are said to have hallucinogenic properties similar to LSD.

In this case, the student ended up in a psyciatric facility upstate. A few weeks ago, his friends noticed a drastic change in his behavior in class.

Some describe this as another black eye for East Hampton High School, which has gained an unusual amount of media attention in recent weeks.

School officials are trying to implement the use of a breathalyzer in school, perceived as a drastic measure for this tony, east end community.

Principal Scott Farina downplayed the use of Morning Glory seeds as a drug, insisting this is not a widespread problem here.

Scott Farina, Principal: "We talked with parents about how they can talk with their kids at home about the dangers of it... we're really trying not to bury our heads in the sand, we're trying to be proactive."

Local hardware store owners are no longer selling the seeds to students unless they have I.D.

The student who has been hospitalized is expected to make a full recovery.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSuperShroomer
Stranger
Re: Flower Seeds Land Student in Hospital [Re: veggie]
    #3885649 - 03/08/05 03:08 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

"Local hardware store owners are no longer selling the seeds to students unless they have I.D."

Haha! Now your seeds are just not going to be paid for :rolleyes:

Edited by SuperShroomer (03/08/05 03:08 AM)

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#3887068 - 03/08/05 01:47 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Stupid, STUPID fucking kids.

Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

#3887146 - 03/08/05 02:11 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

These dumbass kids are the reason they are going to become illegal.

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

Re: Flower Seeds Land Student in Hospital [Re: theocean06]
    #3893210 - 03/09/05 05:12 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

These dumbass kids are the reason they are going to become illegal.

(nods) Its always high school kids like this that get everything illegalized.Perhaps people under 21 shouldnt be allowed to partake of entheogens or anything and those of us who are over 21 and responsible should be allowed to do as we please in regards to substances.It doesnt make sense for adults to suffer from stupid teenagers making stupid uninformed choices.Im surprised alcohol isnt illegal again due to all the underage drinking which is a far worse problem in terms of numbers.Its funny how underage drinking doesnt make the media much but one instance of ingesting any sort of entheogen and its broadcast over every media channel available. :rolleyes:

The media and its capitalism is precisely one reason why so many things have become illegal.They play a large role in it.

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Flower Seeds Land Student in Hospital [Re: UnenlightenedOne]
    #3894366 - 03/09/05 08:48 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Im 20 now does that mean Im not "ready" to use ethenogens. Iv been using them without a problem because I was lucky enough to have a computer to research.. And family that were "cool" and would listen to my question and give there uncensored help.

But I agree with you it is the modern medias fault.. But we could blaim a large majority of the modern worlds problems on hte media..

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

Re: Flower Seeds Land Student in Hospital [Re: Legoulash]
    #3894477 - 03/09/05 09:11 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Im 20 now does that mean Im not "ready" to use ethenogens. Iv been using them without a problem because I was lucky enough to have a computer to research.. And family that were "cool" and would listen to my question and give there uncensored help.

The main reason I said 21 is the fact that here kids can go to highschool until theyre 20.When they turn 21 They cant go to public high school anymore and have to take a different program at the tech. college to finish getting their credits.By setting the age to 21 it would help prevent entheogens at schools in use by immature kids and those who might give it to younger people at the same school.

The comment was not meant to be offensive to those here under 21.

Quote:

But I agree with you it is the modern medias fault.. But we could blaim a large majority of the modern worlds problems on hte media..

The main problem with the media is how they like to hype up and sensationalize things in a negative light.

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

InvisibleEonTan
bird
 User Gallery
Loc: very south
    #3897803 - 03/10/05 03:11 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Kids are more willing to take risks with less knowledge of consequence.

The media gives the masses what they want. It is a business, and business don't survive by selling things people don't want.

Legalize drugs to minimize the consequences of use.

Offlinetheocean06

Re: Flower Seeds Land Student in Hospital [Re: EonTan]
    #3898296 - 03/10/05 05:12 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Well, as long as people continue to take these risks and do absolutely no research, they'll never be legal. I'm not saying that is the only reason they are still illegal, but it certainly doesn't help.

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

Re: Flower Seeds Land Student in Hospital [Re: EonTan]
    #3898365 - 03/10/05 05:24 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Legalize drugs to minimize the consequences of use.

Legalizing drugs would increase the amount of problems with teens and drugs.Im not saying they shouldnt be legalized but rather that I think this is one reason they aren't likely to be legalized.I doubt legalization will reduce problems with teens being stupid.

--------------------

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

Re: Flower Seeds Land Student in Hospital [Re: theocean06]
    #3898379 - 03/10/05 05:27 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Well, as long as people continue to take these risks and do absolutely no research, they'll never be legal. I'm not saying that is the only reason they are still illegal, but it certainly doesn't help.

I agree.People acting irresponsibly is going to reinforce the lawmakers notions that drugs are dangerous.Unless people begin to act responsibly I dont think drugs are going to be legal in the next 100 years. :rolleyes:

--------------------

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
    #3899186 - 03/10/05 07:53 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

UnenlightenedOne said:
Legalizing drugs would increase the amount of problems with teens and drugs.

I couldn't disagree more actually. While at first, legalization would probably result in a spike of drug usage, over time I would wager that it would drop significantly. Look at alcohol stores. Most people under 21 I've talked to say it's much easier to get illegal drugs than it is alcohol. But wait, alcohol is legal AND sold on just about every street corner. Why is it hard to get? Because the livelihood of the people who sell it depends on running an upstanding business. If they started selling to minors, then they could lose their job and not be able to support themselves or their families.

Or, for a real life example, take a look at nations where it already is legalized: Amsterdam, for example. There, surveys show that approx. 28% of 10th graders smoke pot. Compare that to the US, where pot is ILLEGAL, and you notice that in the USA, that number almost doubles to around 46% of 10th graders.

While at first, there probably would be a fairly significant jump in drug usage, over time it would decrease and even out.

Just MHO though.

:peace:

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
Re: Flower Seeds Land Student in Hospital [Re: dblaney]
    #3899921 - 03/10/05 10:27 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I second that opinion. Within the last year, Russia has decriminalized (legalized as well?) all drugs to loosen up the high prison population, I wonder how things are going there now... especially if there was a significant spike in drug use.

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Re: Flower Seeds Land Student in Hospital [Re: chodamunky]
    #3901323 - 03/11/05 07:53 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, Russia is taking a good approach I think. Perhaps decriminilization would be a good first step, as it would still be a misdemeanor, but being caught with drugs (unless over a certain amount) would result in only a fine.

--------------------

- John Mayer

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

Offlinetheocean06

#3902890 - 03/11/05 02:45 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I think it is only for certain drugs, because I know that a person can't have over 2 mature peyote or else there are somewhat serious consequences (not like if you were caught in the US).

--------------------

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3903001 - 03/11/05 03:04 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I am certain crime would eventually drop as it would not be thrilling for teens anymore.Simply because the shock and rebellion factors wouldnt be there.However I meant there would be more problems as in more teens getting hurt by misusing drugs.More of them going to the hospital.Teens tend to think they are invincible and think nothing of taking huge doses of speed or cocaine.If it were legal it'd be easier to get IMO and could cause problems.

I think concentrated/refined drugs should be illegal due to their lack of safety but that the raw forms should be legal as they are usually much safer.

However another factor is that russia and amsterdam tend to have much higher crime rates than the US.Im not certain why.It would be interesting to see if crime increases along with drug legalization or if another factor causes it.

--------------------

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

#3903300 - 03/11/05 04:03 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

But I mean, if the allure of illegal drugs isn't there, then I doubt abuse rates would skyrocket in the long run. Perhaps a weekend here or there but I doubt that everyone would become drug addicts. Opium, marijuana, cocaine, etc. were all legal up until the beginning of the 20th century, and we most definitely weren't a zombie nation of drug abusers then.

Also, if drugs were regulated by the government, then people would probably be more inclined to listen to their warnings. As it is now, people have very little faith in the government. If they were able to standardize substances, it seems to me that dangers of impurities ODing and diseases would decrease, and people would be better educated about effects and doses.

But that's just my opinion.

--------------------

- John Mayer

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3903411 - 03/11/05 04:25 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

But I mean, if the allure of illegal drugs isn't there, then I doubt abuse rates would skyrocket in the long run. Perhaps a weekend here or there but I doubt that everyone would become drug addicts.

I agree.

Quote:

Opium, marijuana, cocaine, etc. were all legal up until the beginning of the 20th century, and we most definitely weren't a zombie nation of drug abusers then.

I know.BUT, the high abuse rate among opium and cocaine users of that time is what prompted the government to ban them.There are articles somewhere on the web about this.

Quote:

Also, if drugs were regulated by the government, then people would probably be more inclined to listen to their warnings. As it is now, people have very little faith in the government.

LMAO.True.

Quote:

If they were able to standardize substances, it seems to me that dangers of impurities ODing and diseases would decrease, and people would be better educated about effects and doses.

To an extent.But codeine,vicodin,hydrocodone,etc are legal standardized prescription drugs yet people still have a good abuse rate with them and most people arent educated about them very well.I think its no so much illegal vs legal when it comes to this situation but rather uneducated vs educated.The drug programs out there should educate people to correct usage and dangers instead of half lies,outright lies and the just say no policy toward drugs.I think that would make the biggest difference. :smile:

--------------------

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #3903705 - 03/11/05 05:20 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I used to live near Easthampton, and it's a bunch of millionaires kids bored as shit, and stupid as shit cause they're parents give them everything.

I'm really not surprised. :rolleyes:

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Puget Sound Mycological Society

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

#3904105 - 03/11/05 07:04 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

This is turning into a good discussion. Cool!  :grin:

Quote:

I know.BUT, the high abuse rate among opium and cocaine users of that time is what prompted the government to ban them.There are articles somewhere on the web about this.

I beg to differ. I mean if you can find these articles, then I'll certainly reconsider, but from my understanding of it, the reason these substances became illegal was not because of safety concerns, rather economic and political reasons. Marijuana coming from Mexico mostly was big competition to the thriving hemp industry. That plus media reports (yellow journalism, yay!) of Mexicans high on marijuana crossing the border, and with the superhuman strength weed gave them, came and raped innocent little white girls. Cocaine, well same thing, only with black people (what's the PC term nowadays? African Americans I believe). And I would imagine because of economic reasons too. Cocaine was present in everything from shampoo to aspirin as a 'miracle drug', so competition was fierce, to say the least. Making it illegal would give the government a huge monopoly on it. Opium, well I'm almost positive that by far the main reason it became illegal was because of the growing number of Chinese opium dens on the west coast. People back then were scared of what they didn't know, and so reports of Mexicans and Blacks and Chinese getting high and then raping sweet little white girls terrified everyone (Reefer Madness...)

Quote:

The drug programs out there should educate people to correct usage and dangers instead of half lies,outright lies and the just say no policy toward drugs.I think that would make the biggest difference.

Couldn't agree with you more, harm reduction education is expontentially better than silly lies and misinformation.

--------------------

- John Mayer

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Hemp, Morning Glory Seeds, San Pedro

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service