Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Papaver Somniferum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Sacramento Man Accused of Selling Opium on Ebay
    #1279647 - 02/04/03 08:49 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Sacramento Man Accused of Selling Opium on Ebay

January 31, 2003

SAN FRANCISCO -- Federal drug agents have arrested a Sacramento man for allegedly selling opium poppy pods on eBay, where he described the morphine-laden pods and seeds as a decoration.

Krsna Lev-Twombly, 30, was arrested at his home Thursday by Drug Enforcement Administration agents, who say they bought hundreds of the illegal pods from him last year.

Lev-Twombly appeared in a federal court in Sacramento and was released on a $50,000 property bond, the U.S. Attorney's office announced Friday. Lev-Twombly is scheduled to appear in a San Jose federal courtroom Feb. 6.

Lev-Twombly declined to comment on the case when reached at his home by The Associated Press.

Prosecutors allege that Lev-Twombly advertised and sold the dried Papaver Somniferum poppy pods on eBay last year.

Undercover DEA agents bought pods from Lev-Twombly twice, each time receiving a package of poppies, complete with a receipt, the U.S. Attorney's Office said. Each pod is about the size of a golf ball, and is attached to a two-foot-high stalk.

Richard Meyer, a spokesman for the DEA, said only three of 300 species of poppy are illegal, but Lev-Twombly was selling one of the prohibited kinds.

A San Francisco forensic scientist later confirmed that the pods contained opium poppy seeds, which in turn contained Morphine, prosecutors said.

The chemist indicated that the pods were shipped ready to be "steeped and ingested as a controlled substance with a psychoactive effect," according to the criminal complaint.

Kevin Pursglove, a spokesman for eBay, said the auction Web site remains vigilant in working with authorities to prevent the sales of such items online.

"We check the site frequently for any illegal or illicit items and we remove them as fast as we find them," Pursglove said.

In the early days of eBay, some people tried to sell marijuana on the service before they were quickly shut down, Pursglove said.

Trying to deal drugs online through eBay "might be one of the dumbest things you can do," Pursglove added. "Everything is traceable."

A search for opium poppy seeds on eBay's site Friday revealed sellers hawking "spectacular amazing giant opium poppy seed" and 150 "opium poppy seeds."

http://fox40.trb.com/news/ktxl-013103opium,0,5496473.story?coll=ktxl-news-1

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
Re: Sacramento Man Accused of Selling Opium on Ebay [Re: Roadkill]
    #1300137 - 02/11/03 02:54 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

RE: "described the morphine-laden pods and seeds as a decoration...."

LMAO! Shesh, what an idiot! Some people really need legal counsel it seems.  :grin: 

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
    #1319242 - 02/19/03 12:18 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hmmm, I thought the seeds were legal and the pods were legal as long as they were used for decoration. The whole issue over the legality of growing them is beginning to confuse me though...

InvisibleKilo
-=:+:aka:UnclePimpy:+:=-
Re: Sacramento Man Accused of Selling Opium on Ebay [Re: Jammer]
    #1319439 - 02/19/03 01:38 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Actually, both the pods and seeds are completely legal. It's the criminal intent that the cops busted him for. You can have poppies growing and poppy seeds...you just can't 'harvest' or dry the pods. 'The Botany of Desire' discusses the opium laws and hypocrasy's like this in great detail.

My guess is the guy was selling dried pods on Ebay, and the DEA busted him. Sad thing is, you can go into almost ANY floral shop in NYC and buy dried pods all day long...wonder why they bust anyone over there.

--------------------
"Video games dont affect kids. I mean, if pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be sitting around in dark rooms munching magic pills and listening to repetitive music."

Offlinewyldtouch69
You heard ofhell well i wassent from it

#1321653 - 02/20/03 10:08 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Drug Enforcement Administration agents, who say they bought hundreds of the illegal pods from him last year.

LOL yeah, what happened to these pods?

--------------------

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: Sacramento Man Accused of Selling Opium on Ebay [Re: Kilo]
    #1341112 - 02/27/03 05:38 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Actually, both the pods and seeds are completely legal.

Sorry, that's just wrong. All parts of the opium poppy plant are illegal except for the seeds. The DEA just turns a blind eye to their "ornamental" use.. perhaps for not much longer

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Papaver Somniferum

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service