Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

UC Berkeley students arrested in drug raid after UCB senior's mysterious death
    #3325662 - 11/05/04 08:19 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Four Arrested After Drug Bust

Guns, Cash, 14 Pounds of Marijuana Found At Residence of Deceased Berkeley Student

COURTESY/BERKELEY POLICE DEPARTMENT

Evidence seized from a house on Oregon Street included marijuana, an assault rifle, a shotgun and shotgun shells

COURTESY/BERKELEY POLICE DEPARTMENT

Handguns, cash and knives were seized during a search of a house on Oregon Street, where Patrick McCann, a recently deceased UC Berkeley student, lived.

By MY-THUAN TRAN
Contributing Writer
Thursday, October 21, 2004

Just hours after the suspicious death of UC Berkeley senior Patrick McCann Friday afternoon, nine Berkeley police officers raided his South Berkeley residence and arrested four roommates on weapons and felony marijuana charges, police said.

In what police said was the most significant drug bust in the last several years, police uncovered 14 pounds of marijuana, more than 100 methadone pills, $14,000 in cash and multiple weapons, said Berkeley police Officer Steven Rego.

Inside McCann?s house on the 2100 block of Oregon Street, police found a 12-gauge shotgun, an assault rifle, two semiautomatic pistols, bullets and throwing knives, Rego said.

They also discovered ?Pay-O? sheets for recording drug transactions, digital scales and drugs that could be valued at thousands of dollars, Rego said.

The size of the bust led police to speculate that the roommates?three UC Berkeley students and one former student?were involved in a significant marijuana growing operation and were running a methadone lab, Rego said.

The pills are undergoing tests to confirm they are methadone, Rego said.

A roommate found McCann unconscious in his house Friday afternoon and drove him to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival at 1:06 p.m. After securing search warrants, police raided McCann?s residence at 5:22 p.m. to investigate the death, Rego said.

Police did not go into the house with the intention of finding drugs, Rego said.

Three of the roommates were formally arraigned Tuesday on charges stemming from the raid. Matthew Morrison, 22, and Babatunde John Oyelowo, 21, were each charged with one felony count of possession of marijuana for sale and cultivation of marijuana.

Casey Lanzon, 23, was charged with possession of assault weapons on top of the marijuana charges. Lanzon last attended UC Berkeley in fall 2003, but never received a degree.

Rego said Lanzon was the apparent owner of the firearms and did not have a permit for the assault rifle.

The other weapons were legally registered, but the combination of drugs and weapons in the same residence made the possession illegal, Rego said.

Police arrested UC Berkeley student Thatcher Hillegas, 22, yesterday at 2:45 p.m. on charges of possession of marijuana for sale, after he returned to his residence. Hillegas, a former illustrator for The Daily Californian, was held at the Berkeley City Jail before he was bailed out on $20,000 yesterday evening.

Police could not say whether McCann was connected to the drug-related activities or whether the drugs were involved in his death, Rego said.

An autopsy Monday did not reveal the cause of McCann?s death, said Dan Apperson, a supervisor at the Alameda County Coroner?s Office. Toxicology tests may reveal whether he died of a drug overdose, but will not be completed for weeks.

The roommates did not call 911 when they found McCann unresponsive on Friday morning, Rego said.

After the roommates dropped off McCann at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center, police entered the residence to investigate, Rego said. Police arrested three of the roommates less than an hour after the raid occurred.

?When a dead body just shows up and someone just drops it off, it?s kind of suspicious,? Rego said. ?You can draw your own conclusions. A case like this is very serious.?

The death did not involve foul play and does not appear to be a homicide, but it is still under investigation, Rego said.

Morrison and Oyelowo are out on bail after being arraigned Tuesday in the Alameda County Superior Court in Oakland. Lanzon remained in jail on $20,000 bail until yesterday morning.

Police said the presence of weapons indicates that the four were likely dealing drugs.

?Guns are extremely common in drug dealers,? Rego said. ?They keep guns to protect themselves.?

The dozens of names listed on the ?Pay-O? sheets are under investigation, Rego said. But because only first names or code names appear on the sheets, there is ?not much we can do with it,? he said.

The drugs, guns and knives were taken as evidence and submitted to the Alameda County District Attorney's Office, Rego said.

University officials said the drug bust was probably the most significant drug-related activity connected to the UC Berkeley students in recent history.

?With the police description of the situation, no one has heard of anything like that related to the campus?not in my recollection and not anyone I have spoken to,? said campus spokesperson Marie Felde. ?We view this situation with utmost seriousness.?

McCann and Oyelowo were part of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity. However, police doubt there is a connection between the fraternity and the drugs.

?The fraternity has nothing to do with the case,? Rego said.

Lanzon?s attorney, Dennis Roberts of Oakland, said Lanzon has a ?medical recommendation? that allows him to legally grow and use marijuana.

According to Berkeley city protocol for medical cannabis, 10 marijuana plants can legally be grown inside a residence, with a maximum of 50 plants in one property. Police found six plants at the residence.

?Had it not been the fact that there was a death, they never would have charged it,? Roberts said.

According to Roberts, Lanzon?s original bail was $195,000, but the court reduced it to $20,000, which ?tells me it?s a weak case,? Roberts said.

Attorney Elena Condes said Hillegas, her client, was not present at the residence when McCann was found Friday.

Residents around the neighborhood were surprised that the suspected drug activity happened right under their noses.

?We were totally incensed to know that there were semiautomatic weapons right next door,? said a neighbor who declined to give her name. ?There are small children all over the neighborhood.?

--------------------------------------

Drugs Detected in Dead Student?s Body

By MARCUS WOHLSEN
Contributing Writer
Thursday, November 4, 2004

A toxicology report for UC Berkeley senior Patrick McCann, who died of unknown causes two weeks ago, came back positive for multiple drugs, the Alameda County Coroner?s office said yesterday.

McCann, 22, was found unconscious by his roommates, who transported him to a hospital. He was pronounced dead on arrival.

Methadone, alcohol and EDDP were found in McCann?s system, according to the coroner?s office.

EDDP is a methadone byproduct that indicates someone has ingested the drug, said Robert Torres, business manager at Central Valley Toxicology, where McCann?s toxicology tests were performed.

An autopsy performed by the coroner?s office did not determine the cause of death.

A pathologist will examine the toxicology report to see whether drugs were to blame.

Officials said ?toxic levels? of methadone and alcohol were not found in McCann?s system.

A final determination on the cause of death may not come for several more weeks, according to the coroner?s office.

Police discovered more than 100 methadone pills in McCann?s South Berkeley residence hours after his death. His four roommates were charged with felony marijuana cultivation and marijuana possession with intent to sell. One roommate also faces charges for possession of methadone with intent to sell and possession of assault weapons.

------------------------

Students Delay Pleas on Felony Charges

By MARCUS WOHLSEN
Contributing Writer
Friday, November 5, 2004

Three UC Berkeley students and one former student postponed entering pleas yesterday on felony charges stemming from a police raid that uncovered drugs and weapons hours after the suspicious death of their roommate.

Matthew Mark Morrison, 22, Babatunde John Oyelowo, 21, Thatcher Hillegas, 23, and former UC Berkeley student Casey Lanzon, 23, appeared together in Alameda County Superior Court, where they had been expected to enter a plea. They were instead granted a continuance to postpone entering official pleas until Dec. 8.

This is the second time Hillegas has delayed entering a plea in the case.

Elizabeth Grossman, Morrison?s defense attorney, said the four are likely to plead not guilty on all charges.

The four are currently out on bail.

They were arrested more than two weeks ago after police found more than six pounds of marijuana, six marijuana plants and more than 100 methadone pills at their South Berkeley residence. Police also uncovered a shotgun, an assault rifle, two semiautomatic pistols and $14,000 in cash.

Police raided the home on the 2100 block of Oregon Street hours after the suspicious death of the suspects? roommate, UC Berkeley senior Patrick McCann.

Toxicology reports uncovered evidence of methadone in McCann?s system, the Alameda County Coroner?s Office said earlier this week. A cause of death has not yet been determined.

The roommates found McCann unconscious and drove him to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead, police said.

?There is absolutely no connection between the tragic death of that young man and these charges,? Grossman said.

All four were charged with cultivation of marijuana and possession of marijuana with intent to sell. Lanzon also faces charges for possession of assault weapons and possession of methadone with intent to sell.

Police called the arrests the most significant Berkeley drug bust in several years.

Dennis Roberts, Lanzon?s attorney, said he plans to file a demurrer?a plea ding that admits Lanzon was in possession of marijuana but argues he had it for medical purposes.

Under current Berkeley law, qualified patients and caregivers can

possess up to 2.5 pounds of dried marijuana and grow up to 10 plants.

Lanzon was ?doing well? and ?trying to get his life together? at the time of the arrest, Roberts said.

In statements given to police, both Morrison and Oyelowo said they knew there was marijuana in the house but assumed it fell within the legal limits for medical use.

Both said they did not sell marijuana, though Oyelowo said he showed police where he kept his own marijuana in his dresser drawer.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleBoom
Supervisor
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Cypress Creek
Re: UC Berkeley students arrested in drug raid after UCB senior's mysterious death [Re: daba]
    #3325971 - 11/05/04 09:53 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Methadone? Why the hell would you produce and sell methadone? I thought it only was for reducing physical withdrawel of heroin...

And damn if I had a medical excuse to grow 50 PLANTS ON MY PROPERTY.....lucky Californians

InvisibleSuper_Blunt
Candyman
 User Gallery

Re: UC Berkeley students arrested in drug raid after UCB senior's mysterious death [Re: Boom]
    #3326395 - 11/06/04 01:42 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Those are some fucken wicked photos.

--------------------

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: UC Berkeley students arrested in drug raid after UCB senior's mysterious death [Re: daba]
    #3326416 - 11/06/04 01:49 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

weird, I wonder what the cause of death was... sounds very strange.

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Puget Sound Mycological Society

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
    #3326515 - 11/06/04 02:26 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Now, i may be wrong on this, but:
"A roommate found McCann unconscious in his house Friday afternoon and drove him to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival at 1:06 p.m. After securing search warrants, police raided McCann?s residence at 5:22 p.m. to investigate the death, Rego said.
Police did not go into the house with the intention of finding drugs, Rego said."

If Weed, and guns weren't mentioned in the search warrant, than they can't be charged with them, right?

--------------------

Offlinepolice
Stranger
Re: UC Berkeley students arrested in drug raid after UCB senior's mysterious death [Re: Dreamer987]
    #3326693 - 11/06/04 04:10 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

crazy

OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
Re: UC Berkeley students arrested in drug raid after UCB senior's mysterious death [Re: Dreamer987]
    #3326867 - 11/06/04 06:48 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

If Weed, and guns weren't mentioned in the search warrant, than they can't be charged with them, right?

Once you enter a building that has 14LBS of homegrown you wil have probable cause. The smell would be very strong. If anything to do with drugs/guns was in plain site, they could turn the whole pad upside down. Like if you open your door and the cop see's/smells weed.

--------------------
"...Gal's seem to hate the thought of blending chicken shit in a blender.
So, wash it well afterwards & DON'T tell them..."  -Agar

Offlinekoppie
astral projectile
Male

Loc: cloud hidden
Re: UC Berkeley students arrested in drug raid after UCB senior's mysterious death [Re: Civ]
    #3327548 - 11/06/04 02:16 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Could somebody explain to us non-US shroomerites what Pay-O sheets are?

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Re: UC Berkeley students arrested in drug raid after UCB senior's mysterious death [Re: koppie]
    #3327624 - 11/06/04 02:40 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

They also discovered ?Pay-O? sheets for recording drug transactions,

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Offlinekoppie
astral projectile
Male

Loc: cloud hidden
Re: UC Berkeley students arrested in drug raid after UCB senior's mysterious death [Re: motaman]
    #3328118 - 11/06/04 06:05 PM (12 years, 30 days ago)

Well I'm glad that's cleared up.

OfflineI2ancid
josh hartnett,movie star actor
 User Gallery

Loc: psycholand
Re: UC Berkeley students arrested in drug raid after UCB senior's mysterious death [Re: koppie]
    #3328157 - 11/06/04 06:28 PM (12 years, 30 days ago)

a methadone lab? um I think some dumbass news reporter is thinking of methamphetamine.

--------------------
I went to st thomas and camped out ontop of the island... Despite my entire family being poor all my life, the land is priceless.
I was chased by haitians in the main city charlotte amalie when my girlfriend and I got some cocaine for free in a bar and mixed it with alcohol, to form a stronger drug. With such confidence at 2am, we walked the 4-5 or so miles down to the beach where the african slaves lie like lions waiting on tourist prey.

The war isen't on drugs... the war is on the causes that influence people to abuse drugs. drug-abuse is a by-product of the system and much like radioactive waste occurs from utilizing nuclear power, drug addicts with drug-problems will need to be properly disposed of, like the decaying radioactive waste produced from nuclear energy. -i2ancid

OfflineI2ancid
josh hartnett,movie star actor
 User Gallery

Loc: psycholand
Re: UC Berkeley students arrested in drug raid after UCB senior's mysterious death [Re: I2ancid]
    #3328167 - 11/06/04 06:34 PM (12 years, 30 days ago)

methadone does have a bit of recreational value but if you have opium which is required to manufacture methadone then you'de probably make morphine or heroin or even hydrocodone before methadone.

--------------------
I went to st thomas and camped out ontop of the island... Despite my entire family being poor all my life, the land is priceless.
I was chased by haitians in the main city charlotte amalie when my girlfriend and I got some cocaine for free in a bar and mixed it with alcohol, to form a stronger drug. With such confidence at 2am, we walked the 4-5 or so miles down to the beach where the african slaves lie like lions waiting on tourist prey.

The war isen't on drugs... the war is on the causes that influence people to abuse drugs. drug-abuse is a by-product of the system and much like radioactive waste occurs from utilizing nuclear power, drug addicts with drug-problems will need to be properly disposed of, like the decaying radioactive waste produced from nuclear energy. -i2ancid

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #3331625 - 11/08/04 12:34 AM (12 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

daba said:
?We were totally incensed to know that there were semiautomatic weapons right next door,? said a neighbor who declined to give her name. ?There are small children all over the neighborhood.?

That made me laugh. Every person on my steet has multiple firearms (and most have kids) and we have never had a shooting or even a robbery.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#3338279 - 11/09/04 07:00 PM (12 years, 27 days ago)

a good friend of mine in Oakland, CA (next to Berkeley)
died in his sleep after taking methadone last month.

i wonder if it was the same shit...

RIP Chance. :sad:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service