Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
still no primordia on oysters
    #4036270 - 04/10/05 05:39 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Hello fellow mushroom growers,

After successfully growing cubensis using pf-tech style cakes I've decided to move my hobby to growing gourmet mushrooms (couldn't eat all the cubes I harvested by far, and selling is no option as you can buy fresh cubes in stores in about any town here legally)

And so I did, I filled eight punctured plastic bags with pasteurized wheat straw mixed with colonized straw with Pleurotus pulmonarius.

I placed them in a "plastic glasshouse" (yes, that does sound stupid) made into a closet with the door closed for complete darkness

It took about 3 weeks for the bags to turn completely white and smell nice, after which I punctured extra holes and opened the closet door to expose the bags to daylight

At this moment the bags have been standing in the light for a week but there is no sign of primordia at all. The straw close to the holes only shows small black spots as if too dry (but they can't be).

The bags do look healthy, and are as white as snow. the temperature is about 64-68 degrees Fahrenheit. I can't measure the humidity, but I mist twice a day and keep an opening in the "plastic house" for ventilation.

I also kept one of the bags in a fridge for a night and placed it into a terrarium with the plastic bag removed (that straw smells delicious, maybe I'll eat the straw itself :wink:) but that was only last night

Should there be signs of primordia growing by now or am I just too impatient? Please share your experiences with me.

greetings from dr Pilzenstein,
or at least someone who couldn't come up with a better name :-)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: still no primordia on oysters [Re: drpilzenstein]
    #4037013 - 04/10/05 01:56 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

>an opening in the "plastic house" for ventilation

this is no good for oysters. they like a LOT of fresh air. to be honest, i found a few things strange in your account: you used colonised straw as spawn? and 3 weeks is an awful long time for any spawning process, as after about 10 days the pasteurisation 'wears off' and anything can invade.

still, good luck! there are many ways to skin a cat, and oysters are pretty forgiving. if i were you, i'd dunk the bags for 12 hours in cold water, then hang them outside, perhaps from a window or a tree branch.

Re: still no primordia on oysters [Re: shirley knott]
    #4037347 - 04/10/05 04:01 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

The "colonized straw is sold on a dutch website for the purpose of expansion into straw. It does have a finer structure than straw, maybe straw is not the right word

I'll dunk the bags in water for a night, do want to keep them indoors though, I can pull away the plastic foil of the tent for more fresh air.

should I remove the plastic before dunking? don't want my big snowballs to fall apart! :tongue2:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms