Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineC20H25N3O
Calico Kahlia
 User Gallery

!!Man gets arrested for paying with $2 bill!!
    #4036022 - 04/10/05 12:41 AM (19 years, 11 days ago)

Man gets arrested for paying with $2 bill

PUT YOURSELF in Mike Bolesta's place. On the morning of Feb. 20, he buys a new radio-CD player for his 17-year-old son Christopher's car. He pays the $114 installation charge with 57 crisp new $2 bills, which, when last observed, were still considered legitimate currency in the United States proper. The $2 bills are Bolesta's idea of payment, and his little comic protest, too.

For this, Bolesta, Baltimore County resident, innocent citizen, owner of Capital City Student Tours, finds himself under arrest.

Finds himself, in front of a store full of customers at the Best Buy on York Road in Lutherville, locked into handcuffs and leg irons.

Finds himself transported to the Baltimore County lockup in Cockeysville, where he's handcuffed to a pole for three hours while the U.S. Secret Service is called into the case.

Have a nice day, Mike.

"Humiliating," the 57-year old Bolesta was saying now. "I am 6 feet 5 inches tall, and I felt like 8 inches high. To be handcuffed, to have all those people looking on, to be cuffed to a pole -- and to know you haven't done anything wrong. And me, with a brother, Joe, who spent 33 years on the city police force. It was humiliating."

What we have here, besides humiliation, is a sense of caution resulting in screw-ups all around.

"When I bought the stereo player," Bolesta explains, "the technician said it'd fit perfectly into my son's dashboard. But it didn't. So they called back and said they had another model that would fit perfectly, and it was cheaper. We got a $67 refund, which was fine. As long as it fit, that's all.

"So we go back and pay for it, and they tell us to go around front with our receipt and pick up the difference in the cost. I ask about installation charges. They said, 'No installation charge, because of the mix-up. Our mistake, no charge.' Swell.

"But then, the next day, I get a call at home. They're telling me, 'If you don't come in and pay the installation fee, we're calling the police.' Jeez, where did we go from them admitting a mistake to suddenly calling the police? So I say, 'Fine, I'll be in tomorrow.' But, overnight, I'm starting to steam a little. It's not the money -- it's the threat. So I thought, I'll count out a few $2 bills."

He has lots and lots of them.

With his Capital City Student Tours, he arranges class trips for school kids around the country traveling to large East Coast cities, including Baltimore. He's been doing this for the last 18 years. He makes all the arrangements: hotels, meals, entertainment. And it's part of his schtick that, when Bolesta hands out meal money to students, he does it in $2 bills, which he picks up from his regular bank, Sun Trust.

"The kids don't see that many $2 bills, so they think this is the greatest thing in the world," Bolesta says. "They don't want to spend 'em. They want to save 'em. I've been doing this since I started the company. So I'm thinking, 'I'll stage my little comic protest. I'll pay the $114 with $2 bills.'"

At Best Buy, they may have perceived the protest -- but did not sense the comic aspect of 57 $2 bills.

"I'm just here to pay the bill," Bolesta says he told a cashier. "She looked at the $2 bills and told me, 'I don't have to take these if I don't want to.' I said, 'If you don't, I'm leaving. I've tried to pay my bill twice. You don't want these bills, you can sue me.' So she took the money. Like she's doing me a favor."

He remembers the cashier marking each bill with a pen. Then other store personnel began to gather, a few of them asking, "Are these real?"

"Of course they are," Bolesta said. "They're legal tender."

A Best Buy manager refused comment last week. But, according to a Baltimore County police arrest report, suspicions were roused when an employee noticed some smearing of ink. So the cops were called in. One officer noticed the bills ran in sequential order.

"I told them, 'I'm a tour operator. I've got thousands of these bills. I get them from my bank. You got a problem, call the bank,'" Bolesta says. "I'm sitting there in a chair. The store's full of people watching this. All of a sudden, he's standing me up and handcuffing me behind my back, telling me, 'We have to do this until we get it straightened out.'

"Meanwhile, everybody's looking at me. I've lived here 18 years. I'm hoping my kids don't walk in and see this. And I'm saying, 'I can't believe you're doing this. I'm paying with legal American money.'"

Bolesta was then taken to the county police lockup in Cockeysville, where he sat handcuffed to a pole and in leg irons while the Secret Service was called in.

"At this point," he says, "I'm a mass murderer."

Finally, Secret Service agent Leigh Turner arrived, examined the bills and said they were legitimate, adding, according to the police report, "Sometimes ink on money can smear."

This will be important news to all concerned.

For Baltimore County police, said spokesman Bill Toohey, "It's a sign that we're all a little nervous in the post-9/11 world."

The other day, one of Bolesta's sons needed a few bucks. Bolesta pulled out his wallet and "whipped out a couple of $2 bills. But my son turned away. He said he doesn't want 'em any more."

He's seen where such money can lead.
--

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-md.olesker08mar08,1,76004.column?coll=bal-home-columnists&ctrack=1&cset=true

--------------------

Calico Kahlia come tell me the news
Calamity's waiting for a way to get to her
Rosy red and electric blue
I bought you a paddle for your paper canoe

Say you'll come back when you can
Whenever your airplane happens to land
Maybe I'll be back here too
It all depends on what's with you

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Re: !!Man gets arrested for paying with $2 bill!! [Re: C20H25N3O]
    #4036030 - 04/10/05 12:46 AM (19 years, 11 days ago)

Really, thats what he gets for dealing with best buy.  Anyone who shops at best buy deserves to be arrested.  :thumbdown: for all involved in this mess.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4036036 - 04/10/05 12:50 AM (19 years, 11 days ago)

Not too surprising, considering the high turn-over of store clerks in any retail establishment. They just want warm bodies to man the registers, and any glimmering of intelligence is simply disregarded. Paradoxicallly, I recall reading an article a few months about a store clerk (A Wal-Mart, I think) who actually accepted a $200 fake bill with a picture of George Bush on it as payment. Some people shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.... :rolleyes:

Offlinediscoabe
Stranger

Loc: Nevada
Re: !!Man gets arrested for paying with $2 bill!! [Re: Le_Canard]
    #4036107 - 04/10/05 01:26 AM (19 years, 11 days ago)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5890269/

PHILADELPHIA - At first glance it looked like the real thing, so store clerk Kathryn Miller was happy to accept the $200 bill as payment ? and even make change.

The bill did carry a picture of President Bush, but he is not one of the presidents who appear on U.S. currency. And in any case, there is no such thing as a $200 bill.

That did not stop Miller, who works at Fashion Bug, a women?s clothing store in Greensburg, Pa., from taking the bill in payment for an item costing $99.

She also gave change to Deborah Trautwine, a resident of nearby Jeanette, said Jeanne Martin, a spokeswoman for the state police in Greensburg.

?Anyone with any bit of knowledge should have recognized that it wasn?t the real thing,? Martin said.

Trautwine, who was located by police on the basis of information from the clothing store, was charged Wednesday with forgery, theft by deception and receiving stolen property.

The bill was probably a joke rather than a forgery, said Martin. ?It was some sort of gag money,? she said.

She didn?t know whether Miller still works at Fashion Bug.

Perhaps Miller shouldn't feel too bad, since, as they say, misery loves company.

Police in Kentucky are looking for a customer who succeeded in paying for a $2 order at a fast-food restaurant with another phony $200 bill. Authorities say the cashier at a Dairy Queen in Danville gave the culprit $198 in real money as change.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: !!Man gets arrested for paying with $2 bill!! [Re: discoabe]
    #4036114 - 04/10/05 01:29 AM (19 years, 11 days ago)

That's the one I was thinking of! Thanks...

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: !!Man gets arrested for paying with $2 bill!! [Re: Le_Canard]
    #4036197 - 04/10/05 02:32 AM (19 years, 11 days ago)

Sickening...I hope the guy sues the fuckin ass out of BB.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: !!Man gets arrested for paying with $2 bill!! [Re: kronnyQ]
    #4036230 - 04/10/05 02:59 AM (19 years, 10 days ago)

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Whole heartedly agrees.

How fucking stupid do you have to be to take a 200 dollar bill.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

InvisibleCherryBomM
Yoga Gypsy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
Re: !!Man gets arrested for paying with $2 bill!! [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #4036773 - 04/10/05 10:15 AM (19 years, 10 days ago)

That was great!

Some people's children....

--------------------

OfflineHrethic
A Human, Being

Loc: Passing through the bulk Flag
Re: !!Man gets arrested for paying with $2 bill!! [Re: CherryBom]
    #4036811 - 04/10/05 10:40 AM (19 years, 10 days ago)

What's wrong with our country.. aren't there enough real crimes? When will these morons wake up... jesus.

Sorry for the jaded response, i'm just too sick of hearing about people getting bent out of shape over stupid, ignorant shit.

--------------------
Will all the big boomers please unveil, please unveil, please unveil.

OfflineCaRnAgECaNdYS
Tool's groupie
Female User Gallery

Loc: Billy Howerdel's closet Flag
Re: !!Man gets arrested for paying with $2 bill!! [Re: Hrethic]
    #4036921 - 04/10/05 11:31 AM (19 years, 10 days ago)

Some people are just mind boggling. :shake:

--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: !!Man gets arrested for paying with $2 bill!! [Re: CaRnAgECaNdY]
    #4036951 - 04/10/05 11:41 AM (19 years, 10 days ago)

I know a kid who always uses 2 dollar bills and sometimes the clerks won't let him pay with them because they have never seen them and think they're fake.

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #4036987 - 04/10/05 11:50 AM (19 years, 10 days ago)

I don't buy anything at Best Buy because of this.
I don't buy anything at Wal-Mart because Wal-Mart is also a stupid asshole store.
I don't support the U.S. economy at all, except for paying income tax, and paying gas at Citgo (which never had an oil spill) and electric and grocery store food and whatnot but as for retail stores like Nobody Beats the Wiz and Tower Records and whatnot they can all kiss my ass (except for if I need something real bad).

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Loc: A rare and different tune
Re: !!Man gets arrested for paying with $2 bill!! [Re: question_for_joo]
    #4037376 - 04/10/05 02:13 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

i just bought my new bubbler in $2 bills :lol:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates