Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Calorie Restriction
    #3926059 - 03/16/05 03:09 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

I came accross the topic of Calorie Restriction (CR) a few years ago in a Scientific American article about some drugs they have been developing to mimick CR without actually having to eat less. I was instantly intrigued by the idea of CR and it's supposed benefits (such as increasing life span by 50% and drastically redusing age-related diseases) and made up my mind to seriously think about starting a CR diet. At the time I was still concerned about my age and starting CR too early, but as my 24th approaches I have again begun to look towards a CR diet.

For those of you who have never heard of CR: it involves switching to a high-nutrient LOW-calorie diet. You would reduce your daily calorie intake by 30-50% or so (NOTE: THIS IS DANGEROUS TO DO SUDDENLY!!! PLEASE TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE TRYING ANYTHING LIKE THIS!!). In all the animal studies this SIGNIFICANTLY increases both maximum AND average life span (in human equivalents, our average life span would extend to 120-150 years) as well as greatly reduces the risk of age-related diseases (diabetes, cancer, heart disease, blindness, neurological disorders, ect).

My question here is: is anyone here on, or have been on, a CR diet? What is your experience with it? I am seriously concidering this lifestyle and would appreciate any experiences you can relate!

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMetaShroom
菌类
 User Gallery

Loc: East Anglia UK
Re: Calorie Restriction [Re: trendal]
    #3926086 - 03/16/05 03:18 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

If you do a CRAN diet properly, you are likely to feel hungry for most of the time. Personally I would prefer to live to the same age as most other people, and enjoy eating with them, rather than spending the rest of my life feeling hungry and weighing out all my food.

--------------------
:sleepingcow:  :penguinmonkey: :blah:

JOIN MAPS -> www.MAPS.ORG

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Calorie Restriction [Re: MetaShroom]
    #3926104 - 03/16/05 03:22 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

That's actually a misconception. If you eat high-nutrient foods you will not feel hungry.

In studies where subjects were given high-calorie foods to eat and told to eat until they weren't hungry, an average of 3000 calories per day was eaten. When the food was replaced with high-nutrient foods, the calorie intake dropped to 2500 calories per day.

Beyond that, it's not simply a "live longer" diet. It makes your whole life healthier, and in my opinion the reduction in age-related diseases is reason enough to think about a CR diet.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#3926121 - 03/16/05 03:24 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

Besides that, I already eat FAR less than most people I know and do not feel hungry because of it.

--------------------

InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
Loc: Cypress Creek
    #3926173 - 03/16/05 03:33 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

You can eat a whole head of lettuce, and it'd probably only be around 50 calories, That'd fill you up nice.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Calorie Restriction [Re: Boom]
    #3926209 - 03/16/05 03:38 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

Well I'm not looking to "fill up" :wink:

The idea is to limit calories while still receiving a FULL dose of nutrients each day. A head of lettuce may fill you up with only 50 calories, but it certainly will not provide ALL the nutrients you need. There are much better ways to maximise your nutrient intake while cutting calories.

--------------------

InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
Loc: Cypress Creek
    #3926231 - 03/16/05 03:42 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

I wonder if multivitamins would count...

http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

this site is great, by the way

Offlineschmektron
Vainglorious

Loc: Wrapped in an imbroglio
Re: Calorie Restriction [Re: Boom]
    #3926958 - 03/16/05 05:56 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

If you eat less, your body "burns" cleaner. If you eat an american diet, you get loaded down with extra shit which prevents you from "burning brighter" as Rumi put it.

"There's hidden sweetness in the stomach's emptiness. We are lutes, no more, no less. If the soundbox is stuffed full of anything, no music. . . " -- Rumi

however, if you're feeling down and out... i would really gradually fall into this diet. If you're really hungry then eat, there's a difference between eating less and starving yourself.

Invisibleblacksabbathrulz
 User Gallery
Re: Calorie Restriction [Re: schmektron]
    #3927598 - 03/16/05 07:56 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

I'm a 240 pound person (I'm 6'6, and am well built), and I eat only about 1500 calories a day, which includes enough chicken to get about 200 g of protein, and I also get enough fruits and veggies, and my body loves me for it. I sleep 6 hours a night, and feel well rested, I don't get sick often. It's def a good idea IMO, I'm going to have to increase my calories soon though, as the weight lose is getting out of control.

--------------------

Offlinesignoffate
Only Human
Loc: Where is here?
    #3928678 - 03/16/05 11:58 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

Eat less ---> Do More!

What foods do you consider to be 'nutrient dense'?

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Calorie Restriction [Re: signoffate]
    #3929457 - 03/17/05 07:49 AM (19 years, 15 days ago)

Macronutrients (carbs, protein, fat) are just as important as micronutrients in your health.

I think that study is foolish. If you are always on a calorie restriction diet, you will eventually die from starvation. You can however, reduce calories to the point where your muscle mass is zilch, and you don't require much at all... but there will be a point where you must maintain your weight with a standard number of calories or you will shrivel away, at this point its not really a restriction of calories, just requiring much less than the average person.

I believe the oxidating effect of digesting foods is what accounts for the health benefits of calorie restriction. But there are foods out there that negate oxidation, such as anti-oxidants in fruit and vegetables. I think getting on a "clean" diet which includes a lot of vegetables and fruit would give you the same benefit as a huge reduction in food.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Edited by looner2 (03/17/05 07:49 AM)

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Calorie Restriction [Re: looner2]
    #3929666 - 03/17/05 09:04 AM (19 years, 15 days ago)

I think that study is foolish. If you are always on a calorie restriction diet, you will eventually die from starvation.

That is certainly not true, looner. The point is to reduce your calorie intake without starving yourself. This causes your cells to go into a sort of self-preservation mode where they put their energy into repair instead of replication. There is over 60 years of research to support this idea, and there are plent of people who have been on a CR diet for many years with no ill effects, and in fact show the early signs of the benefits that CR diets show in all the animal studies.

Obviously I'm not talking about cutting my calories to 500 a day or something like that. Most of the CR diets I have seen cut calorie intake by 30-50% so you are eating around 1250-1500 calories a day.

--------------------

OfflineMetaShroom
菌类
 User Gallery

Loc: East Anglia UK
    #3930163 - 03/17/05 11:28 AM (19 years, 15 days ago)

Exactly, most CRAN diets I have studied would give a typical person around 1500 calories per day, a lot less than the 2500 you quoted form that study. It is very unlikey that simply by consuming high-nutrient foods that you will not feel hungry on such a diet. It is quite a hard diet to follow, becuase you have to ensure you eat foods with a suficiently high satiety index, that include all the nutrients you need, and contain less than the specified number of calories. I am sure you would want to have quite a varied diet as well, so you would need to spend lots of time planning, and it gets even harder if you are doing any significant physical activity, which you should be if you want to be healthy.

By all means go for it, but dont expect it to be easy if you are going to reduce your caloric intake by a sufficiently high enough degree to see significant benefits.

Also, there havent been any long-term studies in humans yet, so no one really knows what the optimum CRAN conditions are, and I guess the difference between an optimum and a deleterious diet is quite small

--------------------
:sleepingcow:  :penguinmonkey: :blah:

JOIN MAPS -> www.MAPS.ORG

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Calorie Restriction [Re: MetaShroom]
    #3930219 - 03/17/05 11:45 AM (19 years, 15 days ago)

Yeah it IS running a fine line along starvation, but it is certainly possible. I'm actaully looking for a diet that will require a lot of planning and work, though, so the prospect of having to work towards a CR diet doesn't seem bad at all.

That 2500 calorie diet wasn't a CR diet that I was quoting. It was from a study of nutrient-rich foods vs. "junk food" which is high in calories but low in nutrients. When given junk food to eat, people will eat more than if given nutrient-rich foods to eat (it's simple math: supply the body with the nutrients it needs, and you won't feel hungry). Hunger is not caused by an empty stomach so much as a need for nutrients and energy, I think.

Aside from that, I already only eat about 2000 calories a day max, so to reach the 1500 mark I would only have to cut 25% off my daily intake.

--------------------

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#3931278 - 03/17/05 04:14 PM (19 years, 15 days ago)

You do realize there will be a point where it won't be 'restriction' anymore.

At 2000 calories a day you are maintaining your current bodyweight.

When you reduce to 1200-1500 calories the first thing to happen will be reduction in bodyweight, its simple physics. Enery expenditure is greater than energy consumption.

Your body will undergo changes though to accomdate this, it will begin to eat its own muscle and fat. Your metabolism will also slow down because it has less energy to work with.... the less food the slower and slower it gets.

You will get to a point where you diminished your muscle mass to the point where you don't require 2000 calories anymore, and/or you metabolism will slow down greatly. At this point you might be able ot maintain a 1500 calorie a day diet and not gain/lose anyweight whatsoever. At this point it won't be a calorie restriction anymore, you simple require less calories to live.

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#3931313 - 03/17/05 04:21 PM (19 years, 15 days ago)

At this point it won't be a calorie restriction anymore, you simple require less calories to live.

That is the whole point behind caloric restriction :wink:

A gradual easing-down of the body's systems to accomodate less calorie intake.

Read the research, looner, its been going on for many years now and every animal species tested has shown SIGNIFICANT increase in both average and maximum lifespan.

Saying "well it's not restriction anymore after you get used to it" really has no bearing on this discussion.

--------------------

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#4025294 - 04/07/05 08:26 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I did some research and it seems pretty neat. I am abandoning my 6 meals a day diet and going to try "The Warrior Diet"

It is based off of periods of undereating, which is essentially nothing and then eating 1 large meal a day.

I ordered the book, check it out on amazon, I read a lot about it and its definitely something cool.

One could decrease the calories as much as they want at night because surprisingly I wasn't hungry the past 4 days after not eating all day. I almost had to force myself to eat at night.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #4030497 - 04/08/05 11:28 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Interestingly enough that's how my diet has been naturally for a couple years. I wouldn't eat very much at all during the day and eat a huge feast late at night. As for highest nutritional value with lowest calorie count.. I don't think you could go wrong with a real food diet.. cutting out refined and processed foods and eating plenty of raw fruits and raw vegetables and beans and whole grains and nuts. Drinking plenty of water. Nobody would need supplements if they ate properly.. but what you miss in your food, herbs can benefit in a number of ways.

Trendal I am no nutritionist, but I have been doing a lot of research on diet and herbs so if you would like me to help you set something up I would be happy to.

--------------------

OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
    #4031607 - 04/08/05 04:19 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I have read a brief study on this that took place using mice.  The mice on the restricted calories lived 1.5 times as long as the mice who were given an unlimited supply of food.  They also were better at performing tasks that required dexterity.

I have been fairly lean for most of my life, and I usually never feel very hungry.  I am into bodybuilding though, so I more or less force myself to eat because if I do not, I simply will not grow.  Any day that I don't pay attention to my diet becomes a calorie restricted day for me.  I have no desire to become emaciated and lose all of my muscle tone, and live in a state of permanent drowsiness, all in the pursuit of a few extra years of life.  I do not fear death, and I would rather live a full life and die young than spend my entire life restricting myself in the name of self preservation.  If you want to live longer and feel healthier then get a gym membership and eat healthy foods.  There is no need to cut calories to become healthy. 

For those who mentioned the diets where you eat one or two large meals a day, what exactly are you trying to accomplish?  Anyone who is trying to lose body fat and add lean muscle should eat more meals per day.  You don't consume more calories per day, but you spread it out with smaller meals throughout the entire day.  By doing this, your body knows that it always has a fresh supply of calories coming in and it does not need to store fat for energy.  When you eat these large meals only a couple times a day, your body has no choice but to store fat and burn muscle so it can make it though the rest of the day.  Fat is simply your bodies method of storing energy.  If you are constantly taking in small amounts of energy throughout the day, your body does not need to store as much.  I'm done ranting I guess.  I forgot I'm not on the health boards at the moment  :tongue:

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Calorie Restriction [Re: PowerTrip]
    #5044862 - 12/10/05 04:11 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

How is the CR coming for you trendal? Did you decide to do it? Since this post i've read quite a lot on this. I am 100% certain it is legit in the sense that it will extend life in humans. It is also much more complex in action in that it has a wide physiological impact. It prevents cancer, diabetes, and atherosclerosis. It slows down the aging process and increases average life span in a group of animals, and more importantly the maximal age. I would consider going on a CR diet, but you would surely need to devote your LIFE to it. There is a society out there that is currently on the plan. Some for up to 15 years. It would take a huge resource in will-power and dedication to maintain adequete nutrients and vitamins.

No time in the future do I plan on doing this, but maybe 10-15 years down the road when athletics and physical training aren't the main point in my life.

It would be interesting to live 120 years. I think humans that go on a calorie restricted life may see years that we never thought possible.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale