Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Loc: Spangladesh
Oyster issues...
    #3929864 - 03/17/05 10:04 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I have some questions regarding growing oysters. I would greatly appreciate any insight you can give me as I'm new to this and I'm having difficulty finding answers to my questions.

That said, here's the deal:
I'm growing Pink, Phoenix and Blue oysters and I'm having some questionable results. I was originally told to place the mycelium filled rice cakes (all three of them whole) into a pearlite and wood chip filled terrarium and:
1. Monitor the humidity - Keep the humidity around 80-90% (I have done this)
2. Monitor the temp - Keep the temp above 75 deg. F (I have done this)
3. Open the terrarium and fan it out once every day for CO2/Oxygen exchange (I have done this)
4. Expose them to a 12 on/12 off light cycle (I have a grow light on a timer that is high in the blue light spectrum)

My results have been thus:
1. Within the first week the pink oysters produced primordia almost instantly. The phoenix shortly thereafter and the blue not at all.
2. It has been more than a week since the mycelium filled rice cakes were placed in the terrarium. The Pink oysters have formed aggressive coral growth. The Phoenix oysters are growing normally albeit slower. The Blue oysters have extended mycelium into the growth medium, like the others, but have not yet begun to fruit at all.

My questions are:
Is this behavior normal considering the conditions I have them in?
Is there something I should be doing differently to produce blue oyster fruits?
How should I resolve the coral growth of the pink oysters?
Am I doing anything wrong/right.
Thanks.

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Oyster issues... [Re: Mobius_Strip]
    #3929898 - 03/17/05 10:13 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

My questions are:
>Is this behavior normal considering the conditions I have them in?
Dont know.

>Is there something I should be doing differently to produce blue oyster fruits?
Quite possible

>How should I resolve the coral growth of the pink oysters?
Still dont know.

>Am I doing anything wrong/right.
I hope so and good luck!

In the meantime, you'd be better suited not asking the experts on psychadelic mushrooms here, and instead asking the experts on Edibles and Medicinals in that forum.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #3929904 - 03/17/05 10:15 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I'll move this for you.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: Oyster issues... [Re: Roadkill]
    #3930263 - 03/17/05 11:58 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Sorry for the mispost. Thanks for moving it.

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

OfflineOwl
Stranger
Loc: Netherlands
    #3930677 - 03/17/05 01:45 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Oysters are extremely sensitive to high levels of CO2 which causes the aggressive coral grow that you describe.

I had this problem until I took the lid of the terrarium. Spraying the inside 3 times a day seemed enough to maintain the humidity and produce nice fruits in the next flush.

OfflinebOemius
Wild and freE

Loc: lalaland
    #3931935 - 03/17/05 06:35 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Pleurotus Djamor
aka Pink Oyster
Colonization/Fruiting Temperatures:75-85F/65-75F

Pleurotus Pulmonarius
aka Phoenix Oyster
Colonization/Fruiting Temperatures:75-85F/50-75F

Pleurotus columbinus
aka Blue Oyster
Colonization/Fruiting Temperatures: 70-75F/60-70F

Pleurotus mushrooms need plenty of fresh air to develop normally. High carbon dioxide levels in growing environment can reduce cap size and elongate stems severely.

As you can see, and i dont know how much above 75?F your temp is, it's better you low to 70?F also to permit best grow to Blue Oyster

good luck

--------------------
share your gourmet prints with FSP

www.freesporeprints.org

it will share with everyone else

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: Oyster issues... [Re: bOemius]
    #3932277 - 03/17/05 07:39 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks,
I can see that I'm doing a couple of things wrong:
1. I have the temp around 75-80 consistently.
2. My terrarium is small and I have all three cakes crammed into it with a lid on all day (accept to fan it out once every day). The CO2 levels are probably through the roof.

I'll take the lid off. I think that will take care of most of my problems accept that it will reduce the humidity. I can turn on a humidifier for that.

The Phoenix oyster sprouted a healthy cluster of pins and then one day they all aborted. New ones sprouted and matured into big healthy stems...come to think of it none of those stems opened. Perhaps it's the CO2 levels and heat that did it.

Thanks again!

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

#3934783 - 03/18/05 09:12 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I've begun to notice a new nasty trend in my oyster terrarium.
I have the lid off now to allow for oxygen exchange. The temp stays around 65-75 and the humidity is produced by pearlite in the bottom of the terrarium. Within a few days after the fruit appear they dry up on the tips and turn yellowish. It seems that they might need water but the pearlite and wood chips are plenty wet. Should I be misting the container regularly? Can I mist the mushrooms/cakes directly or will this cause other problems?
Thanks.

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder