Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinestarptv23
kindchicka420
 User Gallery

Loc: dancing in my head
Bush's Energy Policy Drill for new ideas
    #3913313 - 03/13/05 10:06 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

To drill or not to drill, that's the only question.

Washington has declared the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge the zenith of the energy policy war, all the while missing the larger point.

For years, politicians and lobbyists of every stripe have been singularly fixated on drilling for oil in this remote patch of wilderness, known by its acronym, ANWR. Every Congress, there's a new machination to slip the idea through a reluctant Senate. Every few months, President Bush demands extraction of oil there, as he did Wednesday in Ohio.

As if pumping a million barrels more out of Alaska could make a dent in U.S. dependence on foreign oil. As if disrupting the migration of birds and beasts could really end gas pump sticker shock, while skyrocketing Chinese demand continues to drive world prices up.

If only the nation were powered on hyperbole. The country could chug along on ANWR rhetoric alone.

Likewise, tapping the Strategic Oil Reserve - the 600 million barrels of crude stored in underground caverns for national emergencies - is perpetually touted as the answer to stabilizing oil prices, if only the President would act. About 15 mostly Democrats, led by New York Sen. Charles Schumer, trotted out that perennial loser this week.

Washington should stop pretending there's a magical solution to the nation's energy woes and start moving America toward new power sources for the future.

President Bush had the right recipe in Wednesday's speech, just a few wrong ingredients.

Unlike earlier in his administration, when Vice President Cheney discounted energy conservation as "a sign of personal virtue," Bush has embraced it as a smart way to reduce demand.

"The more we conserve, the less we use; and the less we use, the less dependent we are on foreign sources of energy," Bush said.

He talked of energy-saving advances in refrigerators, traffic lights, computers and automobiles. He needs to go beyond talk, stop yielding to industry pressure, and set tough efficiency standards to induce businesses and consumers to replace energy hogs with misers.

Touting the nation's 250-year supply of coal to produce electricity, the President admitted coal's "environmental challenge" in terms of air pollution. He promised investment in so-called "clean coal" technology to aim for a future "zero emissions" power plant. At the same time, however, he lobbied for his "Clear Skies" initiative, which sets weak pollution standards for coal-fired plants, including the oldest and dirtiest. He can't have it both ways.

The President believes his grandchildren will drive cars powered by hydrogen. Perhaps. In the interim, he should push hybrid and other bridge technology to improve vehicle fuel economy. He's also right to support gasoline alternatives such as biodiesel.

The well of energy ideas is deep. Congress needs to move beyond the frozen tundra to more fertile group..

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT IT???????

--------------------
"Six words: drop out, turn on, then come back and tune it in -and then drop out again, and turn on, and tune it back in-it's a rhythm- most of us think God made this universe in nature-subject object-predicate sentences-turn on, tune in, drop out- period, end of paragraph. Turn the page- it's all a rhythm- it's all a beat. You turn on, you find it inside, and then you have to come back (since you can't stay high all the time) and you have to build a better model. But don't get caught - don't get hooked - don't get attracted by the thing you're building, cause... you gotta drop out again. It's a cycle. Turn on, tune in, drop out. Keep it going, keep it going- the nervous system works that way. gotta keep it flowing- keep it flowing.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Bush's Energy Policy Drill for new ideas [Re: starptv23]
    #3913512 - 03/13/05 10:48 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

If ANWR had enough oil to keep America going for years, then I would say definately drill it. I heard that it only has enough oil for America for about six months. It would help a little, but would it be worth all of the trouble and possible environmental damage?

Offlinestarptv23
kindchicka420
 User Gallery

Loc: dancing in my head
Re: Bush's Energy Policy Drill for new ideas [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3914042 - 03/14/05 12:44 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

RandalFlagg said:

If ANWR had enough oil to keep America going for years, then I would say definately drill it...

so if it helps america for 2 years kill the envorment..i dont see the logic???even if it was 10 years where does that get the earth?? america is so greedy Im suprised we havent already took it...but we just start a war and try to take some one elses...poor mother earth

--------------------
"Six words: drop out, turn on, then come back and tune it in -and then drop out again, and turn on, and tune it back in-it's a rhythm- most of us think God made this universe in nature-subject object-predicate sentences-turn on, tune in, drop out- period, end of paragraph. Turn the page- it's all a rhythm- it's all a beat. You turn on, you find it inside, and then you have to come back (since you can't stay high all the time) and you have to build a better model. But don't get caught - don't get hooked - don't get attracted by the thing you're building, cause... you gotta drop out again. It's a cycle. Turn on, tune in, drop out. Keep it going, keep it going- the nervous system works that way. gotta keep it flowing- keep it flowing.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #3914076 - 03/14/05 12:51 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

We're as much a part of nature as anything else. Although we should be looking for cheap alternative fuels, it will be a long time before we can implement them, so in the meantime we're going to have to find a way to keep getting oil, and I'd rather dig in a wildlife preserve for that than go to war with a foreign country.

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3914111 - 03/14/05 12:57 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

so if it helps america for 2 years kill the envorment..i dont see the logic???

As far as I knew, a small area would be affected if ANWR was drilled. On top of that, technology has increased enough so that it is probable that the environmental impact would be very slight. If a few moose and elk die in the process of America's oil supply getting shored up, then I am all for it.

america is so greedy

Blah blah blah blah

Im suprised we havent already took it

It's ours. We can take it whenever we want to.

...but we just start a war and try to take some one elses...

We have not taken any of Iraq's oil.

InvisibleDieCommie
El Guapo
Re: Bush's Energy Policy Drill for new ideas [Re: Silversoul]
    #3914112 - 03/14/05 12:57 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I think modern internal combustion engines are very efficient. I see no need to develop new technologies until the current ones become unpractical. Of course we need to care about "mother earth", but weather you like it or not the US is one the most environmentally minded countries there are. We produce a third of the worlds economy with only a fifth of its energy. If we drill of oil in Alaska it will preserve the environment of some other well, where the host country dosent care at all about the environment.

Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright? None I say! Let us take what is ours, chew and eat our fill.
-CEO Nwabudike Morgan

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
Re: Bush's Energy Policy Drill for new ideas [Re: Silversoul]
    #3914126 - 03/14/05 01:00 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
We're as much a part of nature as anything else. Although we should be looking for cheap alternative fuels, it will be a long time before we can implement them, so in the meantime we're going to have to find a way to keep getting oil, and I'd rather dig in a wildlife preserve for that than go to war with a foreign country.

in the meantime? We're currently not doing shit for research and implement of alternative fuel sources. Bush needs to aim at the source of the problem.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Bush's Energy Policy Drill for new ideas [Re: DieCommie]
    #3914128 - 03/14/05 01:00 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Oil is wanted and needed. It is finite. It is going to get scarcer and scarcer. That oil in the Arctic is probably going to get sucked out one of these days.

InvisibleDieCommie
El Guapo
Re: Bush's Energy Policy Drill for new ideas [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3914172 - 03/14/05 01:10 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:
Oil is wanted and needed.  It is finite.  It is going to get scarcer and scarcer.

and as it gets scarcer and scarcer, its cost will get higher and higher.... and thus the economic advantage of developing new "alternitive" fuels will get greater and greater...  why try to push these fuels before there time?  When the cost of oil is too high they will be developed.  Let the market  run its course...it works :smile:

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3914193 - 03/14/05 01:14 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

and thus the economic advantage of developing new "alternitive" fuels will get greater and greater... why try to push these fuels before there time?

Of course, the sooner we find renewable energy sources that can power our cities and cars...the better. But, necessity is a great motivator. The second that oil gets super expensive, someone will come up with something that will enable us to keep our approximate standard of living. I'm a little worried....but not super worried.

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
    #3915075 - 03/14/05 05:27 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

ANWR is going to get drilled at some point-that ,much is inevitable. I think to drill what little oil is there now which won't do shit for this nation as a whole. IT will only allow for a few refineries/oil companies to make a quick buck on cheaper crude because its was domestic. oil prices will stay the same but profits soar for a few months. Great idea; really has the country in mind.

I say lets have a little foresight and keep it untouched until the oil crisis really hits the fan in 30 years or so. Then is will be advantageuos in building new sources of energy which will require other energy sources to construct-it will only make the transition smoother when it will actually matter.

Quote:

and as it gets scarcer and scarcer, its cost will get higher and higher.... and thus the economic advantage of developing new "alternitive" fuels will get greater and greater... why try to push these fuels before there time? When the cost of oil is too high they will be developed. Let the market run its course...it works

sure it works but this has nothing to with ANWR. The market doesn't account for the future. Lets try to make this future transition as smooth and quick as possible. Alternitive fuels are expensive now and will be in the future-especially when there is no cheap oil to move materials and manufacture them.

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion