Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: HPS

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleDazedSol
old hand

Spider Mites!!
    #389586 - 09/09/01 07:12 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Ok....I have a small collection of plants (about 6 months old all together) inside under a 400 watt HPS...... everything has been great for them....until now....I was away for about 4 days and when I returned my poppies were TOTALLY consumed my spider mites........it appears they are moving on to my Brugs. and Daturas now.......what can i do to stop this from happening again? and are the plants that have been infested by them salvagable? They seem to be pretty covered... Im about to spray them down with a Pyrethrins and Chysanthemum spray..... any opinions/info greatly appreciated...... this is new to me...i've been growing plants for some time now and have never had a run in with these little bugs before.......

Adam,
-=Dazed Sol Productions=-

--------------------
Peace,
Adam

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineweezer
Stranger
Re: Spider Mites!! [Re: DazedSol]
    #389979 - 09/10/01 06:26 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

pyrethins and insecticidal soap might stop those little bastards. Spider mites are most active when it gets real hot and slow down season gets cooler. I tell you what , they sure can wipe you out.

Offlinehubertd8
Pooh-Bah

Loc: springfield
    #395122 - 09/15/01 03:15 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

well best/safest treatment i found was get some pure soap/ivory(sp?) an cut ~1tsp and mix with ~200ml of hot h20, u can play around wit ratios it really dosen't matter as long as u get a good deal of soap in there. Anyways spray em every 4days until u can't see em anymore, then just do it occasionally to be sure. The soap dissolves there coating and drowns em. This is probably the safest way to deal wit anything one would place into there body.

good luck

-Is your number still 911? Alrighty then!, AV

-If I'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer, AV

-If knowledge is power then a god am I, BF

--------------------
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

Bertrand Russell

Invisibledurban_poison
myco contractor
    #399224 - 09/20/01 04:49 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Go to a local hydro store they carry predator mites, lace wings, lady bugs, and destroyer bettles. All of these work great once established(except lady bugs fly away and into the light leaving a bad burnt wing odor) and are much more beneficial to your health rather then using insecticides

Offlinenarc monkey
old hand
Loc: Canada
Re: Spider Mites!! [Re: hubertd8]
    #401019 - 09/22/01 07:26 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

a mix of soap, cooking oil, and water works even better. you can try spraying with a weak chilli pepper solution in order to keep them away once you get rid of them.

InvisibleDazedSol
old hand

Re: Spider Mites!! [Re: durban_poison]
    #401214 - 09/23/01 12:03 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I dont think I would be able to establish a colony of benificial insects in my 5'x5' basement 'grow room' .... hehe but it would be cool if i could......I got some stuff called Tangle Foot which i put around the parameter of the room to stop them from even getting to the plants...... also i got some sun dews and a few other exotic carnivorus plants to take care of the small white fly infestation..... Thanks for all the suggestions though guys.....
-peace

Adam,

--------------------
Peace,
Adam

Invisibledurban_poison
myco contractor
    #401487 - 09/23/01 11:51 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I have quite some experience with spidermites and your tanglefoot wont work. Try diatomacous earth for the soil and get yourself about 500-1000 spidermite predators and let them loose this is only a means of control not extermination. You have heard of toxic build up? Think of what all those insecticides do to you and if its on herb its not even worth smoking just the taste makes my gag and pyrethums will give you the worst headach and cause premature ripening of your herb flowers. If you are serious about really getting rid of mites you are talking serious measures. First I would grow all infected plants out for seeds then harvest. Next get all plants out of your house(mites like to float on air currents). Then bleach the shit out of your grow room and clean your whole house change air conditioning filters, then bleach again. Clean alll lights and equipment throughly with lysol then bleach again and let the room get cold for about 5 days then start over.

Offlinehubertd8
Pooh-Bah

Loc: springfield
Re: Spider Mites!! [Re: narc monkey]
    #401599 - 09/23/01 02:16 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

what is the point of the cooking oil? dosen't the soap just dissolve the oil, ya now like washing dishes and shit. Plus the point of the soap is to dissolve the oil-type(so the oil wouldn't be helping would it) coating on the mites and once thats done, the water drowns them.

-Is your number still 911? Alrighty then!, AV

-If I'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer, AV

-If knowledge is power then a god am I, BF

Edited by hubertd8 on 09/23/01 01:29 PM.

--------------------
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

Bertrand Russell

Invisibledurban_poison
myco contractor
Re: Spider Mites!! [Re: hubertd8]
    #401601 - 09/23/01 02:21 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

well if you want to use an oil method try neem oil but before lights come on or go off then clean (rinse)the plants off before the lights come on or you will burn them same principle as tanning oil. The detergent not soap is an emulsifer which must be added or when your spraying them the oil will remain at the surface and not come out until your spray bottle is almost empty

InvisibleDazedSol
old hand

Re: Spider Mites!! [Re: durban_poison]
    #401955 - 09/23/01 08:51 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Well I dont see myself smoking any of the plants that I grow...Its mainly a collection of different exotics and entheogens...So the insecticides were a viable option...but I do plan on doing a VERY extensive cleaning of everything and I think I will pick up some predator mites for this winter.....On a funny side note...until this post i couldnt figure out why some of my bud's buds tasted so bad..hehe stupid chrysanthimum.......

Adam,

--------------------
Peace,
Adam

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: HPS

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden