Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Pholiota Nameko
    #3887698 - 03/08/05 02:23 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

I'm kind of new to woodlovers and gourmet mushies and such, been a cube fan for awhile :smirk:
But now i'm looking to eat with the whole family..
I looked up Pholiota Nameko using www.dogpile.com and the shroomery of course :rolleyes:
But I can't find everything that I want to know about them, i only have found bits and pieces so far, What i'm hoping for is your exp. with this mushroom and what you thought about it, and and links protaining to cult. of it and things of that nature...
O and I found this on some site, but it doesn't specify

>They are easy to grow in large quantities by using fresh hardwood as substrate in form of sawdust, woodchips and a mixture of grains.

What kinds of hardwood do they grow on? Can they be grown on sweetgum or oak? And it says grains, does that include rye grass seeds(or was it berries?) and are the subs. similar to cubes?

Thankx guys, i can't wait to learn about this mushy, :grin:

-Gnostic

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rogue's Island, USA
Re: Pholiota Nameko [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3887991 - 03/08/05 03:30 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

If you're serious about getting into the cultivation of edibles I would strongly suggest that you pick up a copy of Stamets' Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms. It is the "bible" or starting point for most experimentation in this area.

You should be able to grow nameko out on most grains; I prefer organic rye and have yet to find a species that doesn't like it.

For the production block, Stamets recommends hardwood sawdust/woodchips supplemented with rice bran. Oak should work, but I don't know exactly what sweetgum is.

Be aware that nameko probably also requires a good temperature drop in order to fruit (from 75-85F spawn run down to 50-60F for fruiting).

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Visit the Psychonautical Society

Edited by Basidiocarp (03/08/05 03:31 PM)

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Pholiota Nameko [Re: Basidiocarp]
    #3888215 - 03/08/05 04:17 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

>pick up a copy of Stamets' Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms. It is the "bible" or starting point for most experimentation in this area.

I borrowed a foafs for a day, i'll def. pick it up, everyone seems to recomend it. thankx for the reply btw

And wow, that's a big drop in temp...Hmm...If my house is Always around 70F, how could I cool the terrium? Thankx

-Gnostic

Offlinered914
Minion
Loc: Utah
    #3888288 - 03/08/05 04:27 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

I grew a bunch of Namekos from a kit. Strange little guys. Covered with slim. Don't eat em raw, they make your tounge numb. Cooked, they are fantastic, with a flavor that lasts for hours. Great for sauces and on meats. Ditto on the Growing Gormet book, well worth the money. They only fruit once. Bummer. I missed my chance to clone. They need low temps to fruit. Knats love the sawdust spawn. Thats where I learned to use Diatomasious earth to kill Knats! They take a lot of moisture to work, lots more than Cubies. The spawn is no were as agressive as Oysters so contams come into play. But, they are sooo good (addictivly good!) that you will find a way to regrow em. I have had some luck with second flush by keeping the spawn soppy wet and about 50 degrees.

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

Re: Pholiota Nameko [Re: red914]
    #3888381 - 03/08/05 04:40 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

yeah what he said^^^^ they need like a tropical rain cloud to do well. One block puts out about a pound or so dried.

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

#3888499 - 03/08/05 05:01 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

IGnosticAbhorI said:
And wow, that's a big drop in temp...Hmm...If my house is Always around 70F, how could I cool the terrium? Thankx

This is always a perennial problem for us hobbyist growers. In the winter, I simply shut the radiator off in one room, shut the door, and use that as my fruting room. I have an attic space that also works well for this in the winter.

Summer is a different story, and generally requires the use of air conditioners (you usually have to do some thermostat fiddling to fool them into cooling down anywhere close to 55/60F). That's why I generally stick to growing warm-weather species in the summer that don't really need temp. drops to fruit.

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3888756 - 03/08/05 05:54 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Hmm....Well i wish i'd of known that sooner :frown:

But i'm still going to attempt by making a ghetto setup utilizing things from the PmP and the TiT and blocks of ice lol :thumbup:

I'll pick up that book as soon as I can.

And is it really true that they only fruit once, If so, maybe I should store some myc.(LC?) in one of those vials that Agar uses( forget what they're called exactly)....Maybe even use some agar to test/isolate the strain...

Well thankx, this thread has been most helpful :grin:

-Gnostic

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

#3889212 - 03/08/05 07:14 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

IGnosticAbhorI said:
Maybe even use some agar to test/isolate the strain...

I would highly recommend getting into agar culture if you want to play with edibles... Indispensible for strain isolation, storage, propagation, etc.

--------------------

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3889514 - 03/08/05 08:39 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Good point, there's lots of different ways to make agar, lots of different ingredients...What's the different between all of them? Is one "better" than the other?
tnkx everyone :grin:

-Gnostic

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

#3889564 - 03/08/05 08:50 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Have you done thorough searches of the Shroomery? I'm sure various agar recipes and tek's abound. I would also strongly recommend reading Anno's sticky post in this forum that has a link to lots of helpful information.

I started off using potato dextrose agar, and now I use malt extract/yeast agar w/ supplements.

--------------------

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3889616 - 03/08/05 09:00 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Yea, Sorry, guess I should have been more specific?

I meant that i've read up on some, i've seen so many different recipes, but I'm not really sure what would be best, like, are some better for certain things?

Well ill-regardless, ill ck it out, thankx

-Gnostic

Offlinered914
Minion
Loc: Utah
    #3892959 - 03/09/05 02:08 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

I used PDA agar for most things, in little jars from a "gold mining" shop for mineral samples. I bought the nameko kit but could not get it to fruit. I gave up and tried killing it by drownding it, kicking it, lots of abuse and name calling. I think the drowning did it. Suddenly, big flush. I almost missed it, sitting in it's ice chest. At that point, any clone attempts failed with contams. The mushrooms only last a day or so before rotting. Ya got to be ready! Knife and fork in hand, bib on, and agar and spore jars, and lots of butter. Trust me, grow a bunch, because you can't eat your fill and be ahead a couple of steps so you won't be sitting there with nothing to eat. they are so slimy and ugly, but taste sooooo good, (cooked!!!!)
I'm looking for more spawn starter if anybody has some.

InvisibleSpeeker

Re: Pholiota Nameko [Re: red914]
    #3893100 - 03/09/05 02:44 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

Have to advertise this rather recent thread here:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...2&fpart=all

Offlinefirstmatefluff
Stranger (thanmost)
Loc: Wisconsin
Re: Pholiota Nameko [Re: Speeker]
    #4049424 - 04/13/05 07:22 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I just grew some (should have taken pics, sorry) on oak sawdust pellets. Grew them up, and to fruit I tried a bag over the block, in a "salad" bowl with some water at the bottom, and lots of misting. 1, then 2, then 3 weeks w/ nothing, when I came to pull the block the waterlogged bottom surface was pinning like crazy--I flipped it over and sprayed bag and block heavily for like 2 weeks, then harvested 1/2 lb or so of nameko.

Right now, I've re-flipped it so the side waterlogged for 2 weeks while I was growing mushrooms of fthe "top" is now the "new top"--we'll see if this fruits now, too.

InvisibleSpeeker

Re: Pholiota Nameko [Re: firstmatefluff]
    #4053334 - 04/14/05 02:19 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Nice to hear such great news! :smile: :thumbup:

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #4053699 - 04/14/05 07:33 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

IINM Shirley Knott has recently been sucessful with p. nameko. Maybe drope "her" a PM.

Offlinefirstmatefluff
Stranger (thanmost)
Loc: Wisconsin
Re: Pholiota Nameko [Re: Speeker]
    #4053713 - 04/14/05 07:40 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks Speeker!

Thanks for sharing cultures, also.....

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck