Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

famous philosophers and scientists of our time...
    #3882921 - 03/07/05 02:26 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

why aren't there any of them out there? why is it that today we no longer hear of philosophers and scientists in the media and the news and in the general opinion?

Einstein was as famous as Chaplin in the twenties and the thirties. Jean-Paul Sartre was a star in france in the second half of the 20th century. Today Hawkins is pretty famous, but he's old and done with..

Do people just not give a fuck anymore of modern philosphy and physics? Is today's population too brain dead to be interested in this? Or is it that nothing really new is being brought up? Or am i just not very well informed?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: famous philosophers and scientists of our time... [Re: exclusive58]
    #3882952 - 03/07/05 02:31 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

exclusive58 said:
Do people just not give a fuck anymore of modern philosphy and physics? Is today's population too brain dead to be interested in this? Or is it that nothing really new is being brought up? Or am i just not very well informed?

Yes, seemingly, that our due to external influences of communication that distract from that focus. As much as TV, the internet, and the increase have benefited us, it has also provided just as great of a detriment, by filling our lives up with useless news, and stories. It's out their, but you need to do digging. Just my $.02

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
    #3883046 - 03/07/05 02:48 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

This is the only place I have ever known to even have such a thing....  It seemingly was something that I was not searching for, I just found it....  Once I got here, I could not escape it's gravitational pull....  As I am more hear just to learn and share, maybe I should seek out what is considered "correct" in Philosophy as others understand it....  But then with my very basic ideas(or feeling) of what philosophy is, I wonder if it is something that someone can learn - since it as I perceive it to be as stated above, a learning and sharing of knowledge (for the betterment of one's self, and others(if they understand you :wink: ))....

Having said all of that, I *believe* that WE are the philosophers of our time, and since no one is really seeking fame out of it, there is nothing in the news about who knows what -as no one cares who is "smarter" than them....  The only thing that matters is that YOU care....  If you seek knowledge, you will find....  That isn't something that one gets famous over now days, as a lot of people just know more stuff, and it is a "granted" as "common knowledge" in today, and now.... 

Aahhhhh, I do love this place....!    :heart:

ME....

:heartpump::heartpump:

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: famous philosophers and scientists of our time... [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3883274 - 03/07/05 03:36 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

this is a fine post!

id say.. good question! :smile:

what is there really to ponder these days?

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: famous philosophers and scientists of our time... [Re: Gomp]
    #3883315 - 03/07/05 03:45 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

I don't really know! Usually in the history of philosophy there are different trends at different times. Like 20th century was phenomenology and existentialism. Anyone knows what the trend of the beginning of this 21st century is?

I'd say during the course of the history of philosophy, the attention is brought more and more towards individuality. Its like if during all those centuries of philosophising, all that is left to ask is "who am i?".

So in some way, maybe we might be "transcending" philosophy and starting spirituality these days?

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Re: famous philosophers and scientists of our time... [Re: Gomp]
    #3883412 - 03/07/05 04:08 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

Gomp said:
what is there really to ponder these days?

HHhhmmmm....  Well, for me, I will be pondering things that have most likely already been pondered by others to some of the deepest extents....  And perhaps tomorrow I will be pondering things that have already been pondered as well....  But, for today, I have not pondered them yet, and I look forward to it tomorrow....    :smile: :heart:

ME....

--------------------

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #3883570 - 03/07/05 04:52 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

yes :P individuality.. no longer "who created us", but also, "questioning the questioning.. "

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Invisibleroby000
me
Trans-male
Re: famous philosophers and scientists of our time... *DELETED* [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3883602 - 03/07/05 05:02 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Post deleted by roby000

Reason for deletion: s

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: famous philosophers and scientists of our time... [Re: roby000]
    #3883611 - 03/07/05 05:05 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

So you saying we're going to study "tool" in a philosophy class in the future? :lol:

:thumbup: Shit, I was born at the wrong time.

(Sorry, had to say that, good point)

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Edited by Psychoactive1984 (03/07/05 05:11 PM)

InvisibleIn(di)go
People of the sun.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cologne, Germany
    #3883621 - 03/07/05 05:10 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

PhanTomCat said:
HHhhmmmm....  Well, for me, I will be pondering things that have most likely already been pondered by others to some of the deepest extents....  And perhaps tomorrow I will be pondering things that have already been pondered as well....  But, for today, I have not pondered them yet, and I look forward to it tomorrow....    :smile: :heart:

ME....

but even if you ponder the same things, you might get results no one else has gotten... that's the beauty of it... living in this relative world it all comes down to "what does it mean to me?"... and once we move past individuality and reach fundamentality we all get to the same truths... and we all got there by different paths...

--------------------

Edited by In(di)go (03/07/05 05:10 PM)

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #3885510 - 03/08/05 12:28 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

In the Age of Specialization, the Renaissance wo/man is harder to spot.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Re: famous philosophers and scientists of our time... [Re: Sclorch]
    #3885559 - 03/08/05 12:37 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Pehaps we are all just spots....  :wink:

--------------------

>^;;^<

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

#3885663 - 03/08/05 01:11 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

There are many great philosophers. It is hard to hear them because of all the noise. Martin Luther King Jr. was a great philosopher as was John Lennon. There are not that many peopler visable to us in our worlds today, however.

There are several people the world over who have much to say and do say it. It is important to know that bright luster and glow of our noisy entertainment has shined such blinding lights over the sky that we no longer see the stars nor hear the birds chirp.

The way I look at it is that you have to turn out your message in some form of "entertainment" to have it broadly known. I plan on getting my message out through starting a band and singing songs about love, philosophy, prophecy, truth and all sorts of things.

--------------------
Agent 727

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
    #3885807 - 03/08/05 01:55 AM (19 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

exclusive58 said:

No! There are more people working in the physics field than ever before, but they make progress in 'small' steps. Einstein and Newton made great discoveries on their own. They changed the way we think about space and time. The Standard Model(theory of electromagnetic and weak interactions, Quantum Mechanics) is not the work of a singel person. There is not one mister Quantum Mechanics; Einstein, Bohr, Heisenberg, Schrodinger and many more made great discoveries resulting in the Standard Model.

String Theory, which has not been experimentally tested, was created in an odd way. Veneziano tried to understand the strong nuclear force(one of the 4 forces) and discovered a correct equation, but nobody knew why that equation was correct. Leonard Susskind, and some others revealed the physical underpinnings of the equation, but his paper was not published because it was not interesting. Schwarz and Scherk discovered that the equations could include gravity. Which was very interesting, because that would combine Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity in one theory. There were some major problems and many physicists solved many of them. Edward Witten combined five different string theories in one theory(M-theory) in 1995; a major breakthrough in the String theory field.

There are many physicists working in the Quantum Mechanics, String theory and Classical mechanics field. Physicists are still 'playing' with the equations Einstein created. They discover new things every day!

Some great physicists of our time are Edward Witten, Gerard 't Hooft, Leonard Susskind and Stephen Hawking. Just a few names that came up in my head.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #3885821 - 03/08/05 01:58 AM (19 years, 25 days ago)

Great minds are usually only appreciated after they are gone. Enjoy me while I am still here. :wink:

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Re: famous philosophers and scientists of our time... [Re: Swami]
    #3885973 - 03/08/05 03:02 AM (19 years, 25 days ago)

Good to see you back, it was NOT the same without you here....  At all....  :sick:  Sick computers suck....!

ME....

--------------------

>^;;^<

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #3886342 - 03/08/05 07:10 AM (19 years, 25 days ago)

requiscat in pace...
dr carl sagan

www.carlsagan.com

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflineThe_Walrus
Stranger
Loc: Cambridge, Britain
    #3886395 - 03/08/05 07:55 AM (19 years, 25 days ago)

Quite clearly, society now doesn't give a shit about deeper matters. Our society and economy relies on people not really thinking, so that they can be fed regurgitated crap which they consume like mindless drones. This is because if people place a value on philosophers and true scientists, then people would become interested in philosophy and science, and people who like to reflect and think aren't really the best kinds of consumers. For example, if people really knew what kind of shit they were putting on their faces when they put on 'Nivea face cream', and realise that not only is it pointless, but it is actually unhealthy if you look at all the chemicals they put in it (such as formaldehyde, which is used to preserve corpses, or glycerol which is basically an artificial form of fat), they would realise that there are no 'nutrients' you are putting on your face, and therefore the cosmetics industry would go out of business. Instead we are bombarded by adverts all our lives which tell us not to think, but consume. Of course there is so much more to it than that, but I cant be arsed to write about it right now. So in summary, I believe the lack of public philosophers/scientists as role models (if you will) is a reflection of the shallow values of our society right now.

--------------------
'Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted' - Albert Einstein

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #3886409 - 03/08/05 08:06 AM (19 years, 25 days ago)

Ever heard of Stephen Hawking?

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: famous philosophers and scientists of our time... [Re: The_Walrus]
    #3887361 - 03/08/05 01:09 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

Quite clearly, society now doesn't give a shit about deeper matters.

"Society" like "the government" is merely an idea, not a solid reality. If you are concerned about deeper matters and you are definitely part of a society, then what are you saying? Be concerned ONLY with your own remaking of the world and forget trying to mold others into what you think they should be. Does your apparent anger add to the noise or to the solution?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order