Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecosmicsea
Stranger

Hunter needs help with Identification of Poss. Spectabilis, thanks
    #3827135 - 02/24/05 11:30 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Allright ...

First of all welcome to the shroomery to the newbies and I hope you learn mycology!

I found some potential G. Spectabilis. Sorry I have no camera, but I am experienced enough to relate this info. All right well it's February (not the season for em.. but hey i'm in florida!) and they are slightly different in description, allow me to explain.

Central Florida. Everything fits: clustered, pale orange yellow, rusty orange spores (not galerina brown), big, yellowish veil remnants, big stems with vertical fibers. Basically it's all the same as the audubon desc's for Gym's BUT: the caps are wavy and sunken (still very big but sunken in the center and wavy along the margin). They're probably a week to (at latest) 2 weeks old telling by their amount of decay.

Anyone out there in florida got an idea?
Thank you!

p.s. as for signs of blueing I am not certain. The drying process is just now beginning and it's 50/50.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecosmicsea
Stranger

Re: Hunter needs help with Identification of Poss. Spectabilis, thanks [Re: cosmicsea]
    #3832619 - 02/25/05 11:22 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Is anyone out there??

Basically I think I've found Spectabilis. No real great signs of blueing however. From some pictures online I have noticed the caps get wavy or incurved like my specimens.

Are there any real look-a-like to the G. spectabilis found near around Central Fla?

Thanks

The Shroomie Biotch Kitcsch

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Hunter needs help with Identification of Poss. Spectabilis, thanks [Re: cosmicsea]
    #3833481 - 02/25/05 02:57 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I dunno man, I think people are just reluctant to confirm these without some pics or something, I know I am.

there are a lot of different gymnopilus species which aren't really safe to experiment with, never heard of spectabilis in FL. if you don't see any obvious bluing I wouldn't mess with them. maybe GG or one of the southerners will be able to help more. get some pics or scans if you can.

DH

Offlinecosmicsea
Stranger

Re: Hunter needs help with Identification of Poss. Spectabilis, thanks [Re: spores]
    #3840919 - 02/27/05 11:33 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

DH--

thanks for the reply.  yeah I'll have to get those pics somehow.  these things are amazing! i just haven't the nerve to test it :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract