Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblemoog
Stranger

PC power supply is loud as hell
    #3817370 - 02/22/05 05:02 PM (12 years, 1 day ago)

My power supply is really loud, and it's really annoying. It sounds like a jet engine. So I'm planning on buying a new one soon, but I don't know which one to get. I was looking at all the "quiet" power supplies at newegg.com but I'm not really sure how "quiet" they really are. Now, my parents recently got a Dell, and out of the box it's completely silent. That's how I want my PC to be. Can anyone recommend a power supply that will be this quiet?

All I can do right now is throw a towel over my case which helps muffle the sound, which is probably trapping more heat inside but I don't really care as long as it gets rid of some of the noise.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineElahrairah
new-growth
Re: PC power supply is loud as hell [Re: moog]
    #3819606 - 02/22/05 11:43 PM (12 years, 21 hours ago)

if it is louder now than it was when you got it, you can return it to that state by replacing the fan inside the unit.  by that i mean every fan in the computer, as there are going to be several inside the case you will only hear once you fix the power supply fan :wink:

however, it is extremely dangerous to open a power supply, and you have to to change its fan.  so you can get a whole new PSU for 35 to 65$.  do NOT buy a cheap one, as it will only cause problems down the road.

--------------------
All instances of FOAF in this post have been replaced by I and My for clarity of reading. No relation to the poster is meant or implied.

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: PC power supply is loud as hell [Re: Elahrairah]
    #3820913 - 02/23/05 05:02 AM (12 years, 16 hours ago)

You want quiet? How does NO fan whatsoever sound?! Jus hope you can afford it.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-925&depa=0

If you can't I would just go with a regular Antec, they really aren't very loud.

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

Re: PC power supply is loud as hell [Re: kronnyQ]
    #3821274 - 02/23/05 10:17 AM (12 years, 11 hours ago)

See the thing is, I already unplugged every other fan in the case to reduce the noise. The other fans weren't that loud to begin with.

I'll look into that fanless one, but I already have an Antec one that came with my Antec case, and it's the one that's driving me crazy.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #3822175 - 02/23/05 02:39 PM (12 years, 6 hours ago)

A noisy fan in the power supply is sometimes indicative of an impending fan failure, or maybe just a dirty fan. Try vacuuming out your power supply (but do not open it up to do so). You can also use compressed air to blow out the dust, but this can make a mess.

This link has decibel ratings on some power supplies. Maybe find one you like and buy it at newegg (cheaper).

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

Edited by Prosgeopax (02/23/05 02:51 PM)

InvisibleEvilEwok
Stranger
Re: PC power supply is loud as hell [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #3822773 - 02/23/05 04:42 PM (12 years, 4 hours ago)

>See the thing is, I already unplugged every other fan in the case to reduce the noise. The other fans weren't that loud to begin with.

I hope you didn't unplug your CPU fan :shiftyeyes:

--------------------
Now go Home.

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

Re: PC power supply is loud as hell [Re: EvilEwok]
    #3823537 - 02/23/05 07:21 PM (12 years, 2 hours ago)

haha well all except that one. And thanks for the link Prosgeopax I'll check that out.

Offlinechupucabras
Stranger
Loc: South Wales
    #3823607 - 02/23/05 07:38 PM (12 years, 1 hour ago)

Shit, is it really that dangerous to open a PSU? I've done it once before to replace a fan, but I won't be doing it again if there's such a high risk!

Dan

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: PC power supply is loud as hell [Re: chupucabras]
    #3826883 - 02/24/05 12:28 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I wasn't aware that opening was that big of a risk (assuming it has been powered down for a while and the juice has been either drained or discharged)

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: PC power supply is loud as hell [Re: blink]
    #3827444 - 02/24/05 03:06 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

> Shit, is it really that dangerous to open a PSU?

Power supplies aren't that risky to open as long as you know what you are doing. Make sure the thing is unplugged and unhooked from the computer. Let it sit for a while to ensure that charge in the caps has bled off and that nothing is hot enough to burn. If you are really worried, short across the DC side to ground (while off and after it has set for a while). The only real danger is if the bleeding resistors have burned out and the caps stay charged. I have never seen this happen. Even then, the caps in a computer power supply are not high voltage and it is unlikely to hurt you.

Things like microwave ovens and anything with a CRT (television, monitor, etc) are extremly dangerous to work on, even when unplugged. A discharged and unplugged CRT can actually charge itself to lethal voltages over time by static electricity.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineElahrairah
new-growth
Re: PC power supply is loud as hell [Re: Seuss]
    #3827565 - 02/24/05 03:37 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

the only dangerous thing in the pwoer supply is a few large capacitors, these can hold a charge for an unknown amount of time after the thing is unplugged. therefore if yorue careless and touch something you shouldnt itll blast you.

--------------------
All instances of FOAF in this post have been replaced by I and My for clarity of reading. No relation to the poster is meant or implied.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: PC power supply is loud as hell [Re: Elahrairah]
    #3831803 - 02/25/05 07:56 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

> a few large capacitors

Large as in capacity, or large as in voltage...  :rolleyes:

> these can hold a charge for an unknown amount of time

The caps do not hold a charge because they are designed with a bleeder resistor to short them out when unplugged.  As I said, the only real danger is if the bleeder resistor is shot.  Even then, the largest cap in the powersupply I have in my hand is 24V, 1000uF... about the only way you will kill yourself with this guy is if you try to eat it and choke to death.

> therefore if yorue careless and touch something you shouldnt itll blast you

If you have left the thing plugged in, then yes.  If it is unconnected and left sitting for a few minutes, then no.  A computer power supply is not a high voltage cathode ray tube power supply... these are two very different beasts with two very different levels of danger.  Take a few basic electrical engineering courses before you start playing the expert.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineFliquid
Back from being gone.
Male User Gallery

Loc: omotive
Re: PC power supply is loud as hell [Re: Seuss]
    #3831829 - 02/25/05 08:15 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Hey Seuss you probably know this, aren't there some kind of rubber filters (also for sound reduction) around that you can place onderneath you computer casing?

If you know of it, can you refer me to a good website.  :smirk:

--------------------
:dancing: My latest music! :yesnod:

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
Re: PC power supply is loud as hell [Re: Fliquid]
    #3833335 - 02/25/05 04:02 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Yes you can use material to deaden the sound coming from you computer case by covering the exposed interior sheet metal with it, it's basically the same type of material that is used in cars for deadening sound. One drawback is that it will also help to hold in heat.

Here's a write up about that type of stuff.

Here's a vendor link.

Here's another vendor link.

Here's an article about quieting your PC with several good tips.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

Offlinelackobreath
Cannabis Man
Re: PC power supply is loud as hell [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #3842703 - 02/27/05 07:53 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I've got an antec that is actually extremely quiet..the quietest of all my fans, besides the two on my video card actually. i have about 10 fans in my computer in total.

if you're going around unplugging your fans, i sure as hell hope you have a really cold environment to keep your computer in...that's asking for some serious trouble..

OfflineRuNE
bomberman

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: tartarus
Re: PC power supply is loud as hell [Re: lackobreath]
    #4372928 - 07/05/05 06:54 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Not really.

I only have 1 extra exhaust fan for my 1.2 ghz athlon and it survived a whole summer running F@H (100% CPU) in a VERY hot room. MBM5 reported a constant 66C for my cpu.
wtf u need 10 fans for?

--------------------
~Happy sailing~

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology