Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Falling into place
Wireless ADSL for pc question...
    #3008689 - 08/16/04 01:17 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

My computer has a new room and its nowhere hear a telephone socket.
I don't really want to put an extra socket in, it would mean wire running through 3 rooms.
Does anyone what sort of gear I would need to make a wireless connection for ADSL to my PC (not laptop)

Thanks  :rasta:

--------------------

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi saying

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemycoguy
old hand

Loc: PNW
Re: Wireless ADSL for pc question... [Re: DreaMaTrix]
    #3008979 - 08/16/04 02:48 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

there are 2 ways you can do this.

The first is by using a wireless telephone jack system. I know you can get these at Radio Shack or Best Buy. The package consists of 2 units. One plugs into your telephone line and a power outlet. The second piece goes in your remote room, and plugs into the power outlet, and has a telephone jack that you will plug into your ADSL modem. The telephone signal is sent over the AC lines. Honestly, I'm not sure how well this works for DSL though.

The second option is by using an 802.11b or 802.11g setup. This package consists of a Wireless Router or Wireless Access Point AND a wireless adapter for your PC (can be a USB adapter, or PCI card). The Wireless Router/AP connects to your ADSL modem, via an ethernet port.
The wireless adapter is installed to the pc, and communicates via radio waves, with the Router/AP.

The 802.11b/802.11g route will be the best way to go. This stuff was designed for wireless internet, whereas the wireless telephone jacks were designed more for simple telephone communications.

Keep in mind that the 802.11 setups communicate over 2.4GHz. This is the same frequency that many cordless telephones use. If you have a cordless telephone that is 2.4GHz, it will interfere with the wireless internet equipment. i.e., the radio waves will collide, resulting in less distance for your cordless telephone, and slower speeds on your internet. (this interference will only occur if you are actually using the 2.4Ghz telephone. There won't be a problem when the telephone is not in use.)

If you do have a 2.4GHz cordless phone, you may want to consider downgrading to a 900MHz telephone, or upgrading to one of the newer 5.8GHz phones.

Hope this helps you out.

--------------------

(and no, that's not me in the avatar)
Yahoo! Pacific Northwest Mycology Group

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology