Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleCosm
Questioning
Loc: somewhere
HINDUISM
    #3767964 - 02/11/05 08:25 PM (12 years, 12 days ago)

I introduced myself to this one when i was young.Being only thirteen at the time i wasn't able to fully grasp its concepts. Seeing its scary looking deities,which i think has taken on a new look here in modern times,has discouraged me from continued studies. Besides that i was always under the impression they conducted human blood sacrifices, originally.I think that ended when the British occupied India awhile back. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I was wondering what the positive beliefs,and basic teachings in this religion are in its original ancient form, not the modernized version that may have Buddhist influence in it, and made to be attractive.

Edited by Cosm (02/12/05 01:05 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: HINDUISM: THE WORLD'S OLDEST RELIGION [Re: Cosm]
    #3768009 - 02/11/05 08:34 PM (12 years, 12 days ago)

I don't think you could really say there was one "ancient" version of Hinduism. It has been a constantly evolving religion ever since it began.

--------------------

InvisibleCosm
Questioning
Re: HINDUISM: THE WORLD'S OLDEST RELIGION [Re: Silversoul]
    #3768042 - 02/11/05 08:40 PM (12 years, 12 days ago)

it had to start somewhere.this is what I'm after.what were its original beliefs?

OfflinePedM
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
    #3768256 - 02/11/05 09:17 PM (12 years, 12 days ago)

"Hinduism" was a term coined after the belief systems of Hindusim were already in place. At what point in India's religious history that Hinduism became Hinduism is still the subject of a lot of debate.

After the Vedic period, the practice of puja came into play, and this was seen as one of the hallmarks of Hinduism's emergence. Puja, or worship, became the central point in religious activity. The rite consists of welcoming the god, which was in the form of a statue or a painting, as a distinguished guest. Bathing the god, dressing him, adorning him and applying scent, feeding him, putting flowers around him and worshiping him with moving flames accompanied by music and song: such are some of the essential features of post-Vedic puja rites.

They treated the god as an animate being because it was learning that their is no difference between the animate and inanimate representations of a god which was the objective of the ritual. It was understood that the gap between the animate and the inanimate was not as wide as the gap between the ordinary deluded being and the divine, and it was through this understanding that the practitioner would come in touch with the divine. Those who had success with this told tales of the god coming alive and speaking to them, dancing with them, and so forth.

The presence of a representation of a god, however, was never something critical to the practitioner. There were many other non-figurative emblems such as the complex geometical mandala patterns, which were used primarily in tantrism. Also, reciting the god's mantra was not seen as different from manifesting the god itself. In Hinduism, any divine expression is seen as identical to any other.

Recommended reading: Great Religions of Modern Man Vol. 4: Hinduism, by Louis Renou.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

InvisibleCosm
Questioning
Re: HINDUISM: THE WORLD'S OLDEST RELIGION [Re: Ped]
    #3768473 - 02/11/05 09:58 PM (12 years, 12 days ago)

where did their concept of god come from?

Edited by Cosm (02/12/05 05:34 AM)

InvisibleCosm
Questioning
    #3770089 - 02/12/05 05:33 AM (12 years, 11 days ago)

OK i can understand the concept of God for the Christians,Judaism,and Islam.they all share the same roots.India however is a little farther away but not to far.I'm thinking that Hinduism isn't as old as the middle eastern religions.i could be wrong.

I'm seeking the origins of this religion.when God kicked Satan out of heaven did he land in India and start a blood thirsty cult or what.

Christianity,Islam,Judaism,Hinduism are the worlds major religions are they not. did i leave any out?i dont think so but i could be wrong.oh Buddhism originally was not a religion so ill exclude it here.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: HINDUISM: THE WORLD'S OLEST RELIGION [Re: Cosm]
    #3770136 - 02/12/05 06:22 AM (12 years, 11 days ago)

Is there validity to the claim that Hinduism is the world's oldest religion?

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleCosm
Questioning
Re: HINDUISM: THE WORLD'S OLEST RELIGION [Re: fireworks_god]
    #3770145 - 02/12/05 06:31 AM (12 years, 11 days ago)

no as i have stated above "I'm thinking that Hinduism isn't as old as the middle eastern religions."

when i did a search on hinduism this is one of the links that came up

i dont know if there is validity to this claim i cant seem to find where its origins are.perhaps the truth on this one has been suppressed as well.

OfflineVertigo6911
Entheobotanist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Netherlands
Re: HINDUISM: THE WORLD'S OLEST RELIGION [Re: Cosm]
    #3770189 - 02/12/05 07:45 AM (12 years, 11 days ago)

none of the religions alive today were the first.
the early religions were all about nature...
the primative peaple looked at the sun and saw how much they were dependant on its enery for their food and started doing things to appease it... and from there the ball rolls...

whats interesting is that alof of those nature themes are carried over too the newer religions.
for instance: jesus=the sun.
xmas is the birth of the sun, from this day forth the days will become longer and the sun travels across the sky.
at the death of jesus the sun stops moving across the sky for 3 days
after wich it starts to move in the oppisite direction (ressurection)

from all ive read about this stuff i have to assume that the ainchent peaples knew alot more about the way nature works then we realise today.

--------------------
-Know ye not that ye are gods?-
My homepage

InvisibleCosm
Questioning
Re: HINDUISM: THE WORLD'S OLEST RELIGION [Re: Vertigo6911]
    #3770210 - 02/12/05 08:16 AM (12 years, 11 days ago)

yes this is true however i dont consider this religion but spirituality there is a fine line between what nature created and what is man made.oops did i say man made...hmm well ill leave it at that.

Edited by Cosm (02/12/05 08:19 AM)

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: HINDUISM: THE WORLD'S OLEST RELIGION [Re: fireworks_god]
    #3770600 - 02/12/05 12:54 PM (12 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
Is there validity to the claim that Hinduism is the world's oldest religion?

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

*oldest surviving religion

--------------------

InvisibleCosm
Questioning
Re: HINDUISM [Re: Cosm]
    #3770612 - 02/12/05 01:00 PM (12 years, 11 days ago)

Common Concept of God in Hinduism:

Hinduism is commonly perceived as a polytheistic religion. Indeed, most Hindus would attest to this, by professing belief in multiple Gods. While some Hindus believe in the existence of three gods, some believe in thousands of gods, and some others in thirty three crore i.e. 330 million Gods. However, learned Hindus, who are well versed in their scriptures, insist that a Hindu should believe in and worship only one God.

The major difference between the Hindu and the Muslim perception of God is the common Hindus? belief in the philosophy of Pantheism. Pantheism considers everything, living and non-living, to be Divine and Sacred. The common Hindu, therefore, considers everything as God. He considers the trees as God, the sun as God, the moon as God, the monkey as God, the snake as God and even human beings as manifestations of God!

Islam, on the contrary, exhorts man to consider himself and his surroundings as examples of Divine Creation rather than as divinity itself. Muslims therefore believe that everything is God?s i.e. the word ?God? with an apostrophe ?s?. In other words the Muslims believe that everything belongs to God. The trees belong to God, the sun belongs to God, the moon belongs to God, the monkey belongs to God, the snake belongs to God, the human beings belong to God and everything in this universe belongs to God.

Thus the major difference between the Hindu and the Muslim beliefs is the difference of the apostrophe ?s?. The Hindu says everything is God. The Muslim says everything is God?s.

Based on this i dont think God had anything to do with the formation of Hinduism like Ive been lead to believe.i could be wrong but i think I'm satisfied with my conlusion.

Edited by Cosm (02/12/05 01:06 PM)

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
    #3770679 - 02/12/05 01:25 PM (12 years, 11 days ago)

One God, Infinte Manifestations.

--------------------

OnlineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #3770767 - 02/12/05 02:04 PM (12 years, 11 days ago)

The peoples of the Indus Valley - Indus - HIndus, or people of what was called Hindustan developed many different streams of religious thought. Many. The bloodthirsty Kali-Durga cult (Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom) is but one aspect of worship. There are other, more benign Goddess cults, various cults dedicated to God in different manifestations: Ram, Vishnu, Krishna, Shiva, etc. There is Advaita - the non-dualistic monistic philosophy of high Brahmanism. There is the Yoga of Shankara, of Patanjali, of Ramanuja. Back further are the Upanishads, the Vedas and within the ancient Vedas, the writings on Soma - Nectar of Immortality that mycologist Gordon Wasson believed to be the Amanita Muscaria mushroom, but which I believe to be some Psilocybian mushroom that sprang from cowpies. I further believe that the Experience of the dung-loving Psilocybian mushrooms imparted a belief in the sacrality of the dung and further, to the cows themselves (which we all know are not to be harmed in India). Unfortunately, the 'sacred cow dung' is still used to anoint newborn babies' navels, killing, at times, as many as 1/4 of all thusly anointed newborns with tetanus!

Many scholars believe that the higher philosophical Vedic and Upanishadic Wisdom originated with the Entheogenic Experience. Later, those Experiences were prolonged by Yogic practices and eventually replaced by Yoga [Union].

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology