Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Milk Thistle Extract

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedoo
addict -crazy as a shithouse rat
 User Gallery

Loc: Slingshit, China
More blurry pics of those prpl-brwn-spord bastards
    #376601 - 08/22/01 07:55 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, I've started finding'em again. Still don't know what they are.These things are really chameleons. The caps start out a nice caramel to sometimes reddish brown, then turn a lighter shade of brown as they age,sometimes with a darker band on the margin,then as they dry more,become an almost flesh color,then a light tan,and then to confuse me even more,when they're completely dry, they'll sometimes, but not always have blackish overtones. Try to figure that shit out. If I had a lot of hair (like my buddy Levi7),I'd pull it out trying to ID these things.
They really like the shade.A lot of the mulch that they were first found in, has been distributed along the edges of trails and around plants so these mushies seem to be spreading.I've noticed that if the mycelium gets under the leaves at the edges of the mulched areas,you get bigger shrooms.Found a couple of caps bigger than a quarter from these type areas.We just hit a dry spell,so they're gone for right now,but I'm sure they'll be back.
For any new viewers,these were found in central N.C.
Here's a bunch of pics, some aren't too bad, but lots of'em are kinda blurry.It's a little tough trying to take a decent pic in a public place,with people walking by,especially when you're not that great at photography anyway.These may take awhile to load up.........
Some young ones...

These next two pics are terrible,but I wanted ya'll to see the dark bands on the caps, and they were the only ones I had.You may also notice the odd color in the center of the caps,they will have this at times,although it's not always in the center(can't figure out what color to call it,dusty silver maybe: )

image]http://shroomery.org/wwwthreads/files/46035-eIM001510c1.JPG[/image]
Notice how the color blends in with the leaves,they are hard as hell to see sometimes.

Notice one of the mushrooms in the right side of the pic,it has the blackish look I mentioned earlier.

Maybe some bluing on the stem of the mush on the left, but I'm not sure

Here's some I'm getting ready to make prints with. You can see how light colored the caps have become after they've dried some.You can also see some spore deposits on some of the caps.

This would have been an awesome pic if GGreatOne had taken it.

The last one

I would like to note, these have a gelatinuos pellicle when young,that is usually separable.It's seems to be a lot stickier and noticeable when there'sbeen a lot of rain and high humidity for several days.
I apologize for all the pics,but I wouldlike to find out what these are.

doo

No matter how hard you try, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Edited by doo on 08/22/01 06:58 PM.

--------------------
- Arguing with a woman, is like trying to blow out a light bulb-

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: More blurry pics of those prpl-brwn-spord bastards [Re: doo]
    #376687 - 08/22/01 10:09 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

If they ain't caerulipes, they are a new active specie, thats what I say. If they were growing in my backyard, I'd take some milk thistle, and eat about4-5 fresh mushrooms.

I'm going to do some hard core emailing again and try to find out what the hell these things are for you!

--------------------

Offlinedoo
addict -crazy as a shithouse rat
 User Gallery

Loc: Slingshit, China
Re: More blurry pics of those prpl-brwn-spord bastards [Re: Lizard King]
    #377074 - 08/23/01 01:20 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Hey LK, I remember you mentioning the milk thistle before, if you don't mind, tell me more about this, it sounds interesting.
I went back and checked my posts from last year, and it was around this same time last year that I started finding these mushrooms, so hopefully there will be more to follow.It seems as if Sept. was when I found the largest quantities.They've been turning up sporadically since spring, but they seem to like the temp. around 85*.
The next batch I find, I'm gonna try and photo the same group of mushrooms every day, so that I'll have photos of them at their different stages of growth.Maybe this will help more with the ID. I should still take Capt.Max's advice though, and try to describe the gill attachment and other descriptive features better.I don't have much practice at this,but I'm gonna give it a shot on the next shrooms I find.

doo

No matter how hard you try, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

--------------------
- Arguing with a woman, is like trying to blow out a light bulb-

OfflineLevi7
old hand
    #377097 - 08/23/01 01:53 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I DIG!
Stay cool!-Levi7.

OfflineWoodsman
enthusiast
Loc: Oregon
    #377396 - 08/23/01 11:45 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

DAMN those things are puzzling. The young, sharply conical specimens look very much like Ps. pelliculosa/ silvatica complex but I've never seen those species expand to plane like yours do.

They are emphatically NOT Psathryella (which never has a pellicle) and almost certainly not Naematoloma dispersum (which is a lighter yellow-tan color).

Did this latest collection show any trace of bluing on mycelia, stem base, or cap margin?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Milk Thistle Extract

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification