Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
Turning Personal - Spiritual Views
    #3756914 - 02/09/05 04:05 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I now welcome anyone and everyone to express their person veiws on spirituality to see of there are any clearly defined commonalities between differing paths.

As i have been scorned in other threads for "seemingly" (although i cant see how) advocating only my path as a valid one?????

So now lets see if we can have as much clarity on this rather wide topic as possible.  :thumbup:

--------------------

Edited by Sinbad (02/10/05 08:23 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: Turning Personal [Re: Sinbad]
    #3756944 - 02/09/05 04:10 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

ha ha ha, I started one too. I will delete it and copy it here.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #3756971 - 02/09/05 04:14 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I think spirituality is essentially about bettering yourself. That's why I laugh when people accuse skeptics of being unspiritual. Believing in supernatural phenomena has nothing to do with making yourself a better person. However, I think that questioning ideas and beliefs is conducive to spiritual growth.

--------------------

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

#3756973 - 02/09/05 04:14 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

"Beauty is truth.  Truth is beauty."  :ass:

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#3756988 - 02/09/05 04:17 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I'll start, I think they are practicing, forgiveness, understanding, compassion, humility, self discernment, unconditional universal love and acceptance for all in spirit and healing inner duality conflict to the result of experiencing peace within the self. One more fundamental I practice is looking to recognize the equated divinity of spirit Essenes within all.

Ego loss is not my thing as I think its more a matter of simply directing it from the place of awareness that exists in the above virtues.

I think compassionate love and respect for the self, sets up its own discipline to live within.

Oh and it may or may not make a difference. I wouldn't say I practice spirituality itself because I am spirit having a human experience. I would say I practice being human more then anything.

If I have a special area outside of keeping a roof over my head and food in my mouth, it is to fully resonate within cosmic consciousness with a strong bent towards an interest in meta physics. This is for the sole reason of getting manifestation down to a science so I can drop survival issues and be blissed out all the time here.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Turning Personal [Re: Silversoul]
    #3757048 - 02/09/05 04:29 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I think spirituality is essentially about bettering yourself. That's why I laugh when people accuse skeptics of being unspiritual. Believing in supernatural phenomena has nothing to do with making yourself a better person. However, I think that questioning ideas and beliefs is conducive to spiritual growth.

I don't know if I agree with your definition. I looked up 'spirituality' in the dictionary, and got this:
1. The state, quality, manner, or fact of being spiritual.
2. The clergy.
3. Something, such as property or revenue, that belongs to the church or to a cleric. Often used in the plural.

Which didn't clarify things TOO much, so I looked up 'spiritual'...

1. Of, relating to, consisting of, or having the nature of spirit; not tangible or material. See Synonyms at immaterial.
2. Of, concerned with, or affecting the soul.
3. Of, from, or relating to God; deific.
4. Of or belonging to a church or religion; sacred.
5. Relating to or having the nature of spirits or a spirit; supernatural.

Spirits and the intangible seem to me to be things that require a degree of faith.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
Re: Turning Personal [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3757079 - 02/09/05 04:37 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

My view is that compassion is at the root of all spirituality, without it there would be no love or beauty in this world. Wisdom is like the other side of the coin, becuase without correct understanding its likely for one to fall into a one sided view of compassion which results in idiot compassion.

This  is a kind of spiritual doormat state where one might out of compassion let four homeless crack addicts stay in ones home, only to wake up naked, tied to a bed, with all valuable personal belongings missing and three used condoms lying on the floor. That would be idiot compassion.  :rolleyes:

World peace starts with 1 then it can progress to 2,3,4,5 and widen the cirle of peace. To recognize every aspect of ones being without judgement and let it be is quite essential as any forceful retsrictions only tightens the knot of confusion.

But fundamentally letting go is without a doubt the most effective of tools, the ability to let go and begin again over and over is vital. In beginners mind their are many possiblilities, in experts mind, there are very few! Presence and awareness, mindfullness of intentions and actions, these virtues lead to awakening.

--------------------

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Turning Personal [Re: Phluck]
    #3757096 - 02/09/05 04:41 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I thought Buddhism was a religion. I carried That over from your other thread Sin, where you said Buddhism was close to your version of practicing spirituality.

My understanding of it leans closer to the dictionary reference that says dealing with things of non matter......spirit. In my case, that means consciousness and energy.

One Buddhists philosophy does not come close to matching a spiritual one. Some Buddhist believe when you die there is NOTHING. Do Buddhist even recognize a spirit let alone an eternal one? Spirituality I always thought recognized the eternal life of the conscious spirit.

I personal prefer to follow my own intuition and my own inner light. I know this runs contrary to following others and the light of others.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#3757131 - 02/09/05 04:48 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Sinbad said:
World peace starts with 1 then it can progress to 2,3,4,5 and widen the circle of peace. ...

peace

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #3757153 - 02/09/05 04:51 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Spirituality can be anything, everything, or nothing. There is no absolute truth, enlightenment or spirituality (I know this statement negates itself, but I cant figure out another way to express it). If someone finds sprituality in say, a rock, or a story, or an event, then that is spirituality. It is that tingle you get when you read, experience, see or are told something which echoes in your mind and starts to connect your worldview. It speaks to you and you understand it and grasp that concept so much that it becomes part of you. This can be completely different for everyone else. One person can utterly believe in Jesus, and that whole story is his spirituality, and he learns and grows using this focal point; there can be another person who is a muslim and uses Allah as his focal point, these two people can reach the same conclusion and understanding and level of spirituality, just in different ways. As long as the end product is one of a constant change towards betterment of ones self and those around him, that is spirituality. Even atheism is a sort of spirituality.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Turning Personal [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #3757282 - 02/09/05 05:03 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

"spirit, [are] our collective soul."
-Unknown :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#3757363 - 02/09/05 05:13 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

wait a sec, if i'm correct you made a thread a while back about how you were leaving the shroomery, and yet here you are once again..

what happened?

oh, and, everything is spiritual.

there is no path to truth.

aaand, the roof is on fire.

--------------------

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Re: Turning Personal [Re: exclusive58]
    #3757417 - 02/09/05 05:17 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

exclusive58 said:
wait a sec, if i'm correct you made a thread a while back about how you were leaving the shroomery, and yet here you are once again..

what happened?

oh, and, everything is spiritual.

there is no path to truth.

aaand, the roof is on fire.

just wondering.. did he say he would newer return? or did he say he was leaving?  :sun:

(Honestly don't know) :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Turning Personal [Re: Gomp]
    #3757621 - 02/09/05 05:34 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

when you make up a whole thread about how you're leaving the shroomery, it usually doesn't mean that you'll be back after lunch, but that would be funny.

Invisibledorkus
Re: Turning Personal *DELETED* [Re: Gomp]
    #3757639 - 02/09/05 05:36 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by dorkus

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #3757653 - 02/09/05 05:38 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

The word spiritual is used in many ways. Sometimes even therapists use it saying that their patients have "spiritual" crisis.

Here is my understanding:

One one side there is the system, the universe, it has its laws, and everything is in balance if you zoom out far enough from the human viewpoint. On the other side there is the individual spirit, or mind, be it a material network of neurons, or something else (it doesn't change my definition)
Now this spirit struggles because it can not see the bigger picture of the whole system. And I'm not talking about learning physics or chemistry to understand the universe. I'm talking about learning about who you are, what your place in this system is, and how do you fit inside it.

Now, we humans claim we are selfaware, and that this is what makes us different from fish or bacteria. but the truth is that we are only partially aware of ourselfs. And that is , I think, the main reason we are so much in pain and struggle. We have been thrown into this system, and it keeps on playing its eternal perfectly tuned game, but we can't figure out the rules. So spirituality is then the process of becoming selfaware, knowing what you really are, and what are the true game of the cosmos around you. As you slowly progress and become more and more aware, your struggle will be easier, and the pain will fade away because you are begining to fit into the mathematical perfection of the universe. It's like fitting into a new group of people. As you become more aware of who they are, you become more confortable.

This is spirituality for me. This definition is general, it defines spirituality independently of the truth that it is supose to find.
So if you are a scientist, you could use your knowlege to heal your psyche and bring yourself into balance. If you believe in metaphysical, your spirituality might be quite different. If you are a religious man, you will listen to and further pefect the words of some aincient thinkers, if you are an atheist, you are probably going to spiritually grow by adopting your mind toward the material unity and flow of nature and the physical universe.

So in one sentance, I could say that spirituality is a process of tuning in with the universe, whatever the nature of it might be.

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Turning Personal [Re: dorkus]
    #3757657 - 02/09/05 05:38 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

hmmm...at least its good to see people change their minds

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Turning Personal [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #3757713 - 02/09/05 05:48 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

that was a great post OldWoodSpecter, i love it.

One question, do you have any idea what spirituality leads to? Where will being more aware lead us to in the long run?

Edited by exclusive58 (02/09/05 05:49 PM)

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

#3757795 - 02/09/05 06:01 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Both Psilocyberin and OldWoodSpecter...wow, awesome stuff there.

Quote:

you have any idea what spirituality leads to?

I don't think there is an end point. Seems more like a never ending flux.

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

#3757804 - 02/09/05 06:04 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

exclusive58 said:
when you make up a whole thread about how you're leaving the shroomery, it usually doesn't mean that you'll be back after lunch, but that would be funny.

he he, I'm in a forum, i got people i know know me, what do i do, to get their full attention? ..

I got people who know me, I am desperate for attention, but i do not want to die, what do i do? .. not saying all suicide attempts, are cry's, sure there could be other factors in the picture, but think about it.. :wink:

:confused: :heart:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies